Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with two broabdband servies at one site

• 19-03-2013 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

I have a DSL service from Smart and a wireless service from Digiweb. I'm having problems with both. Breaks in service, very slow speeds, partial web page loads.

They are on the same static ip network, with a windows server doing DNS. Would it be a DNS issue?

Problems are the same whether all are on one or the other or spread across the two.

I know they are the same company but would the networks be still separate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ppshay wrote: »
    I have a DSL service from Smart and a wireless service from Digiweb. I'm having problems with both. Breaks in service, very slow speeds, partial web page loads.

They are on the same static ip network, with a windows server doing DNS. Would it be a DNS issue?

Problems are the same whether all are on one or the other or spread across the two.

I know they are the same company but would the networks be still separate?

Smart *is* digiweb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

bealtine wrote: »
    Smart *is* digiweb
    Correct.

As a trial, I disabled one and the other works fine.

Still not sure why the two can't work together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Do both services come with routers or are they both connected directly into one of your routers?

If the former - have you just got both supplied routers plugged into the same lan? Are both of the supplied routers acting as DHCP servers? Could they both have the same LAN IP address? (192.168.1.X)? (This might begin to explain the weird behavior you are seeing).

Explain the network layout in more detail if you can.

Yeah, separate routers. Both DHCP disabled. Different IPs, same subnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

What gateway are your devices using? (windows key + r, type "cmd", run "ipconfig /all")

EDIT by devices i mean computers on your network

Unless you are using some manor of agregator Im not sure how 2 broadbands on the one network are supposed to work.

• Advertisement

Each router is a separate Gateway. Separate lines into the building. Don't see why this set up should be giving problems, just set the relevant gateway on a PC, I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From the way you've described it everything should work AFAIK.

Can you draw us a quick topology, might make the problem clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You really want to be doing this with a single router with 2x wan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You really want to be doing this with a single router with 2x wan

or some kind of load balancing router

Advertisement