Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So...how's life in Sydney??

Options
  • 19-03-2013 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello everyone :-) myself and my boyfriend are taking the plunge and heading to Sydney in September just wondering how everyone is getting on over there, any tips or recommendations on neighbour hoods etc would be much appreciated, I'm 25 and he is 27, can't wait to start our little adventure :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mmm88

Bump...flights booked, leaving on the 26th seems so far away! Anyone in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jessicaxxx

Myself and my boyfriend both 24 lived in sydney for 6 months in 2011. Its a lovely city really enjoyed my time there. so much to do from the beach, nightlife to restaurants. We lived in surrey hills its a lovely area about 15 min walk into the centre, lots of nice cafes, bars. its got a young feel about the place.

I found it easy to get work but my boyfriend struggled a bit and ended up doing sales as a lot of employers did not want to take someone on a working holiday visa on. we were there in the autumn/ winter so it got chilly some evening and rain but also some really hot days to enjoy the beach and bbqs in the park. it really easy to meet people from all over the world and make friends for life. you will have a fab time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mmm88

Thanks Jessica appreciate the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

jessicaxxx wrote: »
    Myself and my boyfriend both 24 lived in sydney for 6 months in 2011. Its a lovely city really enjoyed my time there. so much to do from the beach, nightlife to restaurants. We lived in surrey hills its a lovely area about 15 min walk into the centre, lots of nice cafes, bars. its got a young feel about the place.

I found it easy to get work but my boyfriend struggled a bit and ended up doing sales as a lot of employers did not want to take someone on a working holiday visa on. we were there in the autumn/ winter so it got chilly some evening and rain but also some really hot days to enjoy the beach and bbqs in the park. it really easy to meet people from all over the world and make friends for life. you will have a fab time:)

Hey Jessica, would you suggest any good places/ways to meet people over?? I'll be heading over by myself in a bit, my friend was supposed to be going with me but she can't now. It's scary heading all the way over by myself. I'd be big into GAA and that so I will join some club there to play football and meet people that way, but I think by the time I get over that will all be finished for a few months. Just think it will be difficult at first to meet people when you've no accom set up or no job, and I hate being on my own to be honest. If you've any suggestions just let me know thanks :) Also, how did you find accom that had so many people in it..I'd be interested in staying somewhere like that too but most places I've seen are just for 1 or 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jessicaxxx

A good place to meet people is if you are staying in a hostel when you get there first, there are a few good ones in the city loads of friendly people in the same boat looking to meet new people. Living in a share house is a great way to meet people. I rented from this company http://www.furnishedproperty.com.au/ as they always have rooms in share houses available and its mostly likeminded people living in the houses. You could also try gumtree for share houses.

you should check this website out and maybe meet people this way http://www.meetup.com/cities/au/sydney/ or go to your local bar or an irish pub to meet people. When you find a job you will meet loads. Dont worry loads of people go over on their on and end up making friends for life, you will have a brilliant time:)

• Advertisement

jessicaxxx wrote: »
    A good place to meet people is if you are staying in a hostel when you get there first, there are a few good ones in the city loads of friendly people in the same boat looking to meet new people. Living in a share house is a great way to meet people. I rented from this company http://www.furnishedproperty.com.au/ as they always have rooms in share houses available and its mostly likeminded people living in the houses. You could also try gumtree for share houses.

you should check this website out and maybe meet people this way http://www.meetup.com/cities/au/sydney/ or go to your local bar or an irish pub to meet people. When you find a job you will meet loads. Dont worry loads of people go over on their on and end up making friends for life, you will have a brilliant time:)

Thanks very much for writing back! :) I really like the idea of a share house now, even for a few weeks. Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hey Jessica, would you suggest any good places/ways to meet people over?? I'll be heading over by myself in a bit, my friend was supposed to be going with me but she can't now. It's scary heading all the way over by myself. I'd be big into GAA and that so I will join some club there to play football and meet people that way, but I think by the time I get over that will all be finished for a few months. Just think it will be difficult at first to meet people when you've no accom set up or no job, and I hate being on my own to be honest. If you've any suggestions just let me know thanks :) Also, how did you find accom that had so many people in it..I'd be interested in staying somewhere like that too but most places I've seen are just for 1 or 2 people.
    The Cock and Bull in Bondi Junction. You'll have no problem meeting irish people there. The thing is though, you'll meet the Irish people who only meet Irish people, and spend the entirety of their stay in Oz in the Cock and Bull in Bondi Junction.

On a serious note, I spent about 8 months living in Randwick, about 20 minutes from Coogee Beach. Handy enough for the city, and a nice place to stop.

endacl wrote: »
    The Cock and Bull in Bondi Junction. You'll have no problem meeting irish people there. The thing is though, you'll meet the Irish people who only meet Irish people, and spend the entirety of their stay in Oz in the Cock and Bull in Bondi Junction.

Thanks for replying! I know about there alright, but that is exacty why I want to avoid places like that. I'm not going over to spend half my time around the same place day in day out! I hear it's a good place to go on a Friday evening so no doubt I'll pop in at some point. I'm hoping to stay around the eastern surburbs or more around the southern half of the city.Close to CBD by a few minutes any way. Not mad into living near northern beaches or places like that. Ill just have to see when I get over.

Oh anyone advise any good hostels to stay in over? :D Anyone that a lot of Irish people start off in when they first arrive so they'd be in the same boat as me?? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Oh anyone advise any good hostels to stay in over? Anyone that a lot of Irish people start off in when they first arrive so they'd be in the same boat as me?? Thanks

I live in a sharehouse in Glebe but spent time moving around from hostel to hostel when I first arrived in Sydney. I found the good hostels to be very expensive in the city & rest are all sh!tholes!
    One of the best value places I stayed in was this place in Glebe. It's 15 mins from the city centre, reasonably priced & comfortable. Maybe not the most sociable though.

Advertisement