Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone SMS bug... ?

• 19-03-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

So had a strange thing happen today that could have cost me a lot of money but thankfully didn't.

I am an android user and a work colleague has an iPhone (5 I think). This morning I sent him a text enquiring about the price of a product we have. We deal in both Euro and GBP. The reply I got from him was "best price we can do is E6750". It was just by pure chance while having a conversation with my him this evening that we discovered he had actually sent "best price we can do is £6750". We tried sending some messages and discovered that the iphone receives messages exactly as the android sends them but that the iPhone converts both the € and £ symbols (only symbols we tried) to 'E'. We also sent a text from the iphone to an old Nokia non-smartphone with the same results, currency symbols sent as 'E'.

I was just wondering could any of you try this and see if it's widespread or if it's just a setting he has changed on his phone. Have any of you ever heard of this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Scotty # wrote: »
    So had a strange thing happen today that could have cost me a lot of money but thankfully didn't.

I am an android user and a work colleague has an iPhone (5 I think). This morning I sent him a text enquiring about the price of a product we have. We deal in both Euro and GBP. The reply I got from him was "best price we can do is E6750". It was just by pure chance while having a conversation with my him this evening that we discovered he had actually sent "best price we can do is £6750". We tried sending some messages and discovered that the iphone receives messages exactly as the android sends them but that the iPhone converts both the € and £ symbols (only symbols we tried) to 'E'. We also sent a text from the iphone to an old Nokia non-smartphone with the same results, currency symbols sent as 'E'.

I was just wondering could any of you try this and see if it's widespread or if it's just a setting he has changed on his phone. Have any of you ever heard of this before?

I presume it is trying to go above and beyond the call of duty and trying to save a few cent, afaik text messages with symbols ( £ , fadas etc) cost 2 txts to send.

It might be better to send/email similar things as:

6750sterling or 6750euro

- all stuck together, no spaces - may not look as good, but just works
    - and the recipent can't say the correct symbol wasn't with the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Wasn't there a news item last year relating to this ? Something about it costing a lot more to send an SMS in Irish, characters with fads and accents need more data to send so were sent as media messages ?

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Sent in 7bit - you get 160 characters in your sms message

;$¥èéùìòÇ'Øø'ÅåΔ_ΦΓΛΩΠΨΣΘΞ'ÆæßÉ !"#€%&'()*=,-./01234
    56789:;<=>?¡ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZÄÖÑÜ'¿abcdefghi
    jklmnopqrstuvwxyzäöñüà

If you use anything else it sends it 8bit so the limit is ~ 70 characters

I see the Euro and Pound symbols are in there so anyones guess what the phone was up to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I think we're on the wrong track lads, sent iPhone to iPhone the symbols send in the correct format. It's only iPhone to non iPhone that the symbols get replaced by an E.

But I've only seen it on one phone so far. I was hoping someone could test it for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I think we're on the wrong track lads, sent iPhone to iPhone the symbols send in the correct format. It's only iPhone to non iPhone that the symbols get replaced by an E.

But I've only seen it on one phone so far. I was hoping someone could test it for me?
    Just sent € £ $ ¥ to a Nokia 6300 on vodafone from an iPhone 5 on eMobile and they displayed properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Sent many sms's from my iPhone to Android, nokia's windows etc with euro symbols, pound symbols and never had any problems.

What network operator do you have on your iPhone? Also, presuming you are not using something like cabbage text?

Phone is on 02 and no apps involved.

I'm wondering was he messing with his SMS settings and changed some encoding or something? Will have a look later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Phone is on 02 and no apps involved.

I'm wondering was he messing with his SMS settings and changed some encoding or something? Will have a look later today.
    There is no encoding options on an iPhone.
    He was trying to ride you up a pole

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pearlbelasa

I'd prefer email on this kind of communication.

guil wrote: »
    There is no encoding options on an iPhone.
    He was trying to ride you up a pole
    Nah I sent the test SMS's myself from his phone.
    I'd prefer email on this kind of communication.
    To a customer we would always use email of course. And to one another usually email too but if it requires an urgent answer, SMS. Emails tend to be treated as less urgent than SMS for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

out of interest
    what keyboards is he using(settings-general-keyboard-keyboards)
    international settings(settings-general-international)

Advertisement