Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There should be a 'Notify me when OP replies to thread' button!

Options
  • 19-03-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I never have time to read through long threads to see if the OP has responded yet! For example, how a problem worked out in the end . . .

Just an idea ;)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

choons wrote: »

I never have time to read through long threads to see if the OP has responded yet! For example, how a problem worked out in the end . . .

Just an idea ;)

Or just look through the OP's post history.

Or you could just follow the thread and then check who replied each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

thats not a bad idea OP but there are a lot of threads that involve more than just an OP and replies to that OP. A lot of times the conversation can go very far without the OP responding, sometimes teh OP doesnt respond at all but another user makes a point or presents an opinion that the OP would have posted themselves (and thats why they dont post, its already been said).

I could definitely see the merit of it in adverts but not so much on a discussion forum as too much would me missed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

LoLth wrote: »
    thats not a bad idea OP but there are a lot of threads that involve more than just an OP and replies to that OP. A lot of times the conversation can go very far without the OP responding, sometimes teh OP doesnt respond at all but another user makes a point or presents an opinion that the OP would have posted themselves (and thats why they dont post, its already been said).

I could definitely see the merit of it in adverts but not so much on a discussion forum as too much would me missed.
    Well there are a few forum were it would be nice though in my book; Personal Issues (and sub forums), Work & Jobs (and sub forum) and even Animal & Pet Issues for users expecting to get a kitty/pup/has animal issues were you'd like to see a possible outcome of the original issue. In some cases you'll follow the debate but some PI threads (as example only!) can go 40+ posts/weeks with out the OP coming back with an update on how it went. By that time you've moved on and it'd be easier way then trying to keep track on the discussions of interest (as you've moved away from the discussion on thread and are only curious to read it how it went if they come back to update).

Also forgot to add; would this not belong down in Site Development as a new feature request? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Nody wrote: »
    Also forgot to add; would this not belong down in Site Development as a new feature request? :)

It could have been put there all right but sometimes it's nice to get a bit of a discussion going regarding feature requests rather than posting directly in Site Development where the traffic and footfall is much lower :)

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

some PI threads (as example only!) can go 40+ posts/weeks with out the OP coming back with an update on how it went.

PI really isn't a good example, as people seeking advice are not meant to be also posting status updates on the issue. It is meant solely for querying and seeking advice.

As from their charter:
    Do not ask for updates/to be kept updated - this prevents threads turning into blogs or soap operas for others amusement and avoids puting pressure on the original poster to return to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe a simple checkbox at the top of the thread saying, "Highlight posts by OP". Then, any posts made by the OP are outlined with a red border rather than a blue one and you can skim through the thread looking for them.

I admit, I stole the idea from reddit, but very straightforward, much easier than trying to create a new kind of email notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

seamus wrote: »
    Maybe a simple checkbox at the top of the thread saying, "Highlight posts by OP". Then, any posts made by the OP are outlined with a red border rather than a blue one and you can skim through the thread looking for them.

That could work!

I can think of a perfect thread for such a button.

I found a safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

choons wrote: »
    That could work!
    Or actually, a little checkbox beside the post number on the top-right. When checked, this highlights all of that person's posts in a thread. Sometimes it's not the OP's posts you want to see, but someone else's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

PI really isn't a good example, as people seeking advice are not meant to be also posting status updates on the issue. It is meant solely for querying and seeking advice.
    But several people also come back either with more information/development and/or having acted in a way now seek further advice/clarification but this could be two+ weeks down the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But several people also come back either with more information/development and/or having acted in a way now seek further advice/clarification but this could be two+ weeks down the line.

It's not a discussion forum either. So posting is expected to halt with the lack of OP response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Suggested in SitDev 8 months ago.

Can the code for this from Vbulletin not just be added to Boards? I see it's downloadable as a plugin sorta thing?

From what Devs tell us, boards is based on vBulliten but being redesigned off it. Rats jumping ship off.

Advertisement