Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MK808 mini pc + Air Fly Mouse RC12 37.17 EURO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Blade wrote: »
    Trust me to get a faulty one, light comes on but getting a black screen on the TV and nothing else. Can't even seem to connect it to the PC. Looks like I have to send the poxy thing all the way back to Singapore! God knows how long it's going to take now to get a replacement! :mad:

Before you send it back, have you tried a different Power cable?
    Often the cheap cables they come with are faulty, and can cause all sorts of weird problems..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Allyall wrote: »
    Often the cheap cables they come with are faulty, and can cause all sorts of weird problems..

The cable that goes into the power supply is a normal size usb on one end and the other end is a smaller connection that's the same shape as the OTG socket. I have some cables here like that for connecting spy cameras to the PC but I don't know if they're ok for use as power. I did try them but no luck. The blue light comes on ok and everything looks normal but no picture. I tried a different hdmi cable too. Not sure what else to try, they sent what I presume is a Chinese power supply with an adapter for the UK, unless that's dodgey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Yes use a different cable and remember to use power adapter that comes with it or you may use a phone mains charger.

If you are trying to power your device off a USB port then it wont work. I made the same mistake and thought it will power on fine. It did power on but the screen was going blank after few seconds.

Once I power it through the mains adapter that came with it, no such issues. May be the same for you.

they sent what I presume is a Chinese power supply with an adapter for the UK, unless that's dodgey.

Very likely. I had a few of those cheap plugs that were. Luckily a few phones came with USB plugs, as did other things i bought, so i had spare ones. I don't any more, so if i get any more faulty ones i'm going to send them all back in one package. Even though they were from different suppliers.
    I may do that anyway. I think i have 5 or 6 faulty ones.

The cable that goes into the power supply is a normal size usb on one end and the other end is a smaller connection that's the same shape as the OTG socket. I have some cables here like that for connecting spy cameras to the PC but I don't know if they're ok for use as power. I did try them but no luck. The blue light comes on ok and everything looks normal but no picture. I tried a different hdmi cable too. Not sure what else to try, they sent what I presume is a Chinese power supply with an adapter for the UK, unless that's dodgey.

I hope you are not putting the power supply to the OTG port on the side of decide. Instead it should to the similar port beside the full USB port at the end of devide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Trust me to get a faulty one, light comes on but getting a black screen on the TV and nothing else. Can't even seem to connect it to the PC. Looks like I have to send the poxy thing all the way back to Singapore! God knows how long it's going to take now to get a replacement! :mad:

I thought mine want working initially but it was because the TV I had plugged it into didn't sorry the high resolution that it was set to. Plugged into another and it worked.

jdeez wrote: »
    Here is the direct link: http://www.freak-tab.de/finless/netflix_2_0_2.zip from the link provided from robcon above. Disable automatic updates for Netflix in the Play Store as well.

Got Netflix working with that, thanks. However it seems to buffer quite a lot whereas youtube video is flawless even in hd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Got the RC11 air mouse with this but finding it quiet difficult to control as it is sometimes too sensitive or stops for a split second which means it is a bit frustrating trying to click on the right thing!

Have also changed the mouse speed but still get that split second sticking which is like it goes out of sync for a fraction of a second.

Anyone else having this issue?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I thought mine want working initially but it was because the TV I had plugged it into didn't sorry the high resolution that it was set to. Plugged into another and it worked.

I'm hoping that's the problem here too, my TV is 720p and the device might be set to 1080p. But I would have expected the android logo to show before the OS kicked in and changed the resolution. When you plugged it in on the first TV that didn't work, did you get the logo or see anything at all, or was it just black screen constant?

I've tried just about every usb charger and cable combination in the house all plugged into the small power socket beside the large usb connection at the end of the device. Always the same result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping that's the problem here too, my TV is 720p and the device might be set to 1080p. But I would have expected the android logo to show before the OS kicked in and changed the resolution. When you plugged it in on the first TV that didn't work, did you get the logo or see anything at all, or was it just black screen constant?

I've tried just about every usb charger and cable combination in the house all plugged into the small power socket beside the large usb connection at the end of the device. Always the same result.

Yeah, that could be the problem..
    I have a couple of MK802II's (Crappest devices i bought) and i changed the firmware on them, tried tons of different firmware.
    But the last firmware i have, has that problem, although they do show the Android logo first, so that's a bit odd. Once i get into the device via another TV, i can just change the setting.
    Some people have posted it blind for the MK802II - E.G.

This won't apply to the MK808B, so i didn't post the full instructions.
    How to change resolution to 720p.
    Attach usb or wireless usb keyboard and connect it to tv and reboot.
    After you see android image on screen it goes blank.
    Press F9 on your keyboard.
    Click down key 20 times then up key 11 times then click Enter.
    Click right arrow key once then click down arrow key 20 times click enter key. then click right arrow key once. then click up arrow key 20 times then click down arrow key 4 times..... etc etc..

Someone may post similar for MK808B.

I only ordered on last Thursday.
    Finless Bob has a firmware out for the MK808B, haven't really looked into it, but it has the Xbox Controller injection. Which is pretty handy.

Apparently it's faster than the stock rom

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

Go to a mates gaf and use there tv to change it or simply walk into currys or harvey norman and slap it in real quick and off you go ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Got Netflix working with that, thanks. However it seems to buffer quite a lot whereas youtube video is flawless even in hd

Hi do you know how to install Netflix when downloaded, none of my pc's will recognise my mk808b when I attach it,thanks.

Download it directly from the MK808b or use something like Dropbox.

Make sure you have unknown sources enabled in settings.

Hi thanks for the info, if I download directly it will be a zipped file, do I need to install winrar if so which one, thanks for you help, my brother got one from uk and is on firmware 4.1, seems to be much better.

meathman0 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the info, if I download directly it will be a zipped file, do I need to install winrar if so which one, thanks for you help, my brother got one from uk and is on firmware 4.1, seems to be much better.

There's a couple of ways you could do it.

You could install THIS first on your device, or download it on your PC and extract it, and then send it using MoboRobo or MicroSD card or upload it to Dropbox and download it on the stick.

There's a couple of ways you could do it.

You could install THIS first on your device, or download it on your PC and extract it, and then send it using MoboRobo or MicroSD card or upload it to Dropbox and download it on the stick.

Thanks Allyall, installed zip app and unzipped file, now I have several files, do I delete Netflix and which file do I use, tried a few but no luck,thanks.

Thanks Allyall, installed zip app and unzipped file, now I have several files, do I delete Netflix and which file do I use, tried a few but no luck,thanks.

It should only be one file. Delete all that and just download it from here directly to the stick and install this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kaklph1ho2syrlq/netflix_2_0_2.apk

Well some good news, I gave the device to a mate in the pub tonight to try on his more modern TV and he just called me there now to say it works! The only thing is he has nothing to control it with at the moment but sure I'll pop up to him tomorrow and change the resolution to 720p 50zh and hopefully that'll work on my telly. At least I don't have to send the bloody thing back to Singapore! :)

• Advertisement

I installed es file Explorer which can unzip

Well some good news, I gave the device to a mate in the pub tonight to try on his more modern TV and he just called me there now to say it works! The only thing is he has nothing to control it with at the moment but sure I'll pop up to him tomorrow and change the resolution to 720p 50zh and hopefully that'll work on my telly. At least I don't have to send the bloody thing back to Singapore! :)

What I did was plug it in to my bedroom TV which is 1080 and changed resolution to 720 - works on my normal TV now.

J unfortunately my Netflix has gone back to distorted video again whatever changed....

It should only be one file. Delete all that and just download it from here directly to the stick and install this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kaklph1ho2syrlq/netflix_2_0_2.apk

Thanks for the info, but when I try to install it says app not installed !do you have to install the Ron patch first as I have not done this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Have you tried doing an Antutu Benchmark? If so what score are you getting? They were getting 9955 on Geekbuying's test on Android 4.1, but someone was saying 4.2.2 beta was way slower?

Ive tried ti 4 times... all around 5000- 5100 ....have i a dud ?
    seems to work ok though. might check the finless rom.

^^ I am getting around 8400 in my test.

One thing I noticed - I changed the date/time to current date/time and everything worked fine.

Now when I switch it off (off from mains as well) and turn it back on again next day the date goes back to something like 1/1/1970.

Anyone else having this problem? Any way to set the date permanently. I guess there's no battery inside for the clock, so its not keeping up with the current date/time.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

coldfire1x wrote: »
    ^^ I am getting around 8400 in my test.

One thing I noticed - I changed the date/time to current date/time and everything worked fine.

Now when I switch it off (off from mains as well) and turn it back on again next day the date goes back to something like 1/1/1970.

Anyone else having this problem? Any way to set the date permanently. I guess there's no battery inside for the clock, so its not keeping up with the current date/time.

Think if you tick the Allow network settings it will update the time & date trough Wi-Fi (the first option in time &date settings menu)

• Advertisement

Think if you tick the Allow network settings it will update the time & date trough Wi-Fi (the first option in time &date settings menu)

^^ I think I have done that already but I will check again when I go back home in the evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mine left singapore \o/

hopefully have it early next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Did anyone actually get the original ebay item or was it a scam?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, shipping info said shipped yesterday and today it says it's left the country on the way to IE

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

If you are trying to power your device off a USB port then it wont work. I made the same mistake and thought it will power on fine. It did power on but the screen was going blank after few seconds.

Just to say that I've run it from a USB port on my Samsung TV and it was grand. Had both WiFi and a wireless keyboard dongle operating no problem, screen was fine.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Just to say that I've run it from a USB port on my Samsung TV and it was grand. Had both WiFi and a wireless keyboard dongle operating no problem, screen was fine.

Looks like the Samsung USB port has the right voltage. I guess changing my Sharp tv to Samsung to run this off USB will be a bit too expensive :P For now I will have to use the mains charger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Anyone running this off a recent Pansonic? I'm guessing if the Samsung has the right voltage it could be worth a shot - don't want to have to plug this thing in separately.

donnacha wrote: »
    Anyone running this off a recent Pansonic? I'm guessing if the Samsung has the right voltage it could be worth a shot - don't want to have to plug this thing in separately.

The spec is prolly on the TV data sheet. The included charger outputs 5v at 2amps - the key bit there is the 2a I think.

The spec is prolly on the TV data sheet. The included charger outputs 5v at 2amps - the key bit there is the 2a I think.

Looking at my own TV spec, I've plugged it into the side USB marked as HDD which is rated at 1a so 1a will do I'd say. The other two USB s are rated 500 ma and would probably cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Think I'll get the MK808B from Geekbuying.Should I get the RC11 or RC12 airmouse?Or is there a better version available?
    Also,do these need a good wifi signal to run?I'll be connecting it to my TV in bedroom which has 2 HDMI ports.Its a bit away from my router,did a few speedtests there and its still getting speeds of 3mb to 5mb from bedroom.Is this too slow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Thanks Allyall - at €31 it's just too tempting to let slip and a great turnaround on a crappy scamming thread too!

I am getting around 8400 in my test.

I'm only getting around 6000, poitinstill is getting 5000, I wonder why we're all getting such different results on supposedly the exact same devices? Anyone know? I take it we all have the same version 4.2.2. and not overclocked or anything. I can't seem to connect mine to the PC (I know you have to hold the reset button down) so not much hope of me trying a better ROM.

In case anyone didn't know, these devices are already rooted, so easy to delete all the bloatware off them. Also if you want flash in a browser to watch the likes of the RTE/TV3 player it won't work in the stock browser but works ok in firefox. Only thing is firefox is a $hit browser. Tried Opera too with no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Ok, so...

I bought the one from the original post on eBay, and quess what, was a scam. Ebay seller dissapeared and I've applied for a refund from PayPal!

So, from this thread I was going to get the MK808B and the RC11 air mouse, but I went 1 better (I hope!) and got the new Quad core MK908 and RC12 mouse :)

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-MK908-Google-Android-4-1-Mini-PC-TV-Box-RK3188-Quad-Core-2G-8G-BT-Black-315155.html

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Brand-New-RC12-Wireless-2-4G-Fly-Mouse-Keyboard---Mouse-Remote-Control-for-Android-TV-Box-PC-Smart-TV-306674.html

The MK908 has 2 more cores and 1 gig of extra ram I think, so splurged the extra $40 and went for it. The other keyboard has a track pad which I like. Came in at €88 delivered. Hopefully this one arrives and it all works, I'll let you know.

Go Team!

I'm only getting around 6000, poitinstill is getting 5000, I wonder why we're all getting such different results on supposedly the exact same devices? Anyone know? I take it we all have the same version 4.2.2. and not overclocked or anything. I can't seem to connect mine to the PC (I know you have to hold the reset button down) so not much hope of me trying a better ROM.

In case anyone didn't know, these devices are already rooted, so easy to delete all the bloatware off them. Also if you want flash in a browser to watch the likes of the RTE/TV3 player it won't work in the stock browser but works ok in firefox. Only thing is firefox is a $hit browser. Tried Opera too with no luck.

I definitely got a little over 8400. I will do the test again when I go back home in the evening. No overclocking and its on 4.2.2.

In fact apart from installing Firefox (that you correctly pointed out about Flash) I am yet to install any other apps. Did notice that the device is already rooted.

Are you having the clock setting back to 1970 by any chance. I am yet to figure out this one.

As a complete newb to these things, is there any advantage of using them over a MHL equipped smartphone and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse?

I definitely got a little over 8400. I will do the test again when I go back home in the evening. No overclocking and its on 4.2.2.

In fact apart from installing Firefox (that you correctly pointed out about Flash) I am yet to install any other apps. Did notice that the device is already rooted.

Are you having the clock setting back to 1970 by any chance. I am yet to figure out this one.

I was just looking into installing an overclocking app as I read people saying to "set your CPU governor to performance" and for some reason I thought the Antutu test said my CPU was only running at 1ghz. But I decided to run the test again just now before overclocking and I got like you around the 8400! I ran it a few times, then rebooted and ran it again and it's still around the 8400 mark. The first two tests were around the 5500 mark as I can still see it in the history but I'm assuming something running in the background was interfering. At that point I'd been messing with it all night so it wasn't from a fresh reboot and this was before I disabled/deleted some of the rubbish off it. I'll keep an eye on it anyway!

I don't have that problem with the clock resetting. I set everything to get the time automatically, I know there was a couple of settings in there. But the time and date just set itself when I did it. I can check the settings I used if you like? But won't be able to reply to you till tonight. Heading off now...

Hi Blade, all new to me, mine wouldn't connect to pc either, do you have to press the reset button to do this, I wanted to put the patch in for hd as it looks a little off on my tv also my Netflix app won't work and was trying to install the patch with no luck, my brother as one on 4.1 and its great. Pity I didn't get the same, spent hours trying to get Netflix no luck ;-(

Yes please, can you check whenever you get some time and post your settings for setting date and time automatically? May be I am missing something. Thanks
    I was just looking into installing an overclocking app as I read people saying to "set your CPU governor to performance" and for some reason I thought the Antutu test said my CPU was only running at 1ghz. But I decided to run the test again just now before overclocking and I got like you around the 8400! I ran it a few times, then rebooted and ran it again and it's still around the 8400 mark. The first two tests were around the 5500 mark as I can still see it in the history but I'm assuming something running in the background was interfering. At that point I'd been messing with it all night so it wasn't from a fresh reboot and this was before I disabled/deleted some of the rubbish off it. I'll keep an eye on it anyway!

I don't have that problem with the clock resetting. I set everything to get the time automatically, I know there was a couple of settings in there. But the time and date just set itself when I did it. I can check the settings I used if you like? But won't be able to reply to you till tonight. Heading off now...

I can't seem to connect mine to the PC (I know you have to hold the reset button down) so not much hope of me trying a better ROM.

I haven't received mine yet.
    But whenever i have a problem connecting them (different ones) to a PC, i use Moborobo. It has always found the drivers for me. Including the drivers for the nufront NS115 sticks (Which were very hard to find otherwise).

Also, unlike other sticks where you can use the power, to power it and connect to the PC as one, on this, you have to use the DC port to power on the MK808B, and use the OTG Port to connect your MK808B to the PC.

So if you were using the PC to power it also, you would have 2 USB cables coming out of the MK808B and the PC.

Yes please, can you check whenever you get some time and post your settings for setting date and time automatically? May be I am missing something. Thanks

I just switched the device on there now without wifi and my date and time was like yours reset to 1970! In my settings under system-> date and time I just have "automatic date and time" checked. Not automatic time zone, I set that manually. The minute I switched on the wifi the time set itself correctly. So mine doesn't seem to hold the time either unless I go online. But at least it does set itself and I only ever use the thing online anyway.

P.S. Haven't tested but maybe unchecking the automatic date and time and setting it manually might stop it resetting?

I just switched the device on there now without wifi and my date and time was like yours reset to 1970! In my settings under system-> date and time I just have "automatic date and time" checked. Not automatic time zone, I set that manually. The minute I switched on the wifi the time set itself correctly. So mine doesn't seem to hold the time either unless I go online. But at least it does set itself and I only ever use the thing online anyway.

That happens a lot. It happened to all of my Kimdecent T21's, and a firmware fixed it, happened to two tablets, and i'm sure a few other sticks.

To get rid of it, i think you choose the time, and not the time zone. Mine stays correct now. (But as you said, I only ever use it online, do i am not sure whether it would stay correct offline.)

Drivers for MK808B are HERE 12th-ish down

• Advertisement

Also, I'm just after realising, not sure if anyone has done this, but with a lot of the sticks (most or all of them), when connected to the PC, they should be connected to the TV at the same time, so that you can choose "Connect to PC" when it appears on the screen. Obviously if it was a phone or a tablet, that would appear on the screen, so the sticks are the same.

I'm not entirely sure if i had to do it with all the sticks, but i didn't have to do it with the boxes. Which in my opinion aren't worth the money/price difference over the sticks, other than the ethernet ports, which you can buy an adaptor for €3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement