Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American food??????

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Florintina

silja wrote: »
    Ireland has far more regulations in terms of labelling GM foods, what you are allowed to feed cows/ pigs, battery hens etc. Of course you can get corn fed chickens and grass fed, non-medicated beef in the USA too (lots of choice, remember!), but if you are going to a fast=-food restaurant, Dennys etc you get the cheap meat, because it is cheap food.

ah i get u now it really is true depeds on what pay for if you pay cheap for something chances are it was cheap to buy itself and prob not the most healthy thing be going for . the dear things always good stuff which can be a pain as being a student i tend go for bargins and cheap foods ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Nothing beats Cincinnati Skyline Chili

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Anyone been to New Orleans?

The food there is Incredible. Southern us, creole, caribean and french all mixed up.

They have these amazing sugary donuts called beignets. Almost pure sugar, dusted down with more sugar and washed down by Creamy coffee.

You'll die of happiness...

http://www.cafedumonde.com/

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Anyone been to New Orleans?

The food there is Incredible. Southern us, creole, caribean and french all mixed up.

They have these amazing sugary donuts called beignets. Almost pure sugar, dusted down with more sugar and washed down by Creamy coffee.

You'll die of happiness...

http://www.cafedumonde.com/[/QUOTE]

You'll die of something.....probably cardiac related

You'll die of something.....probably cardiac related

There is certainly risk involved.

The thought of sudden death makes it more exciting...

I made the mistake of having fried oysters for breakfast one day and then spent the next 24 hours in the bathroom.

New Orleans is also famous for the "po boy" sandwich (basically all kinds of deep fried food in a sandwich):

http://johnnyspoboys.com/menus/po-boys/

• Advertisement

love a good po-boy.......in terms of sudden death, it has actually happened.

A restaraunt brags about the genuine possibility of death by eating, the the point that the waitresses are dressed in skimpy emergency services costumes.......

http://fieldoffaithsanctuary.com/cardiacgrill/menu_quad.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

7-11 hotdogs - $1.29...not really, they weren't great. I did like the depdish pizza I got in Chicago though.

poisonated wrote: »
    7-11 hotdogs - $1.29...not really, they weren't great. I did like the depdish pizza I got in Chicago though.

There's a reason why 7-11 hotdogs are cheap.....they don't have to factor waste into the price.....they put them in the steamer and they stay there until they're sold

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

McDonald's is ten times nicer in America then here. My husband loves Wendy's the burgers are square personally don't get the attraction. I love the way you can go to a pizzeria and buy a slice for a few dollars and they generally taste fab. Ring donuts and chicken gyros from the food stand are also gorgeous.

Thankfully I don't live over there or I'd be monsterous as I'm drooling now just thinking about it.

I love all the variations of food delivery. We go to this place quite a lot. Its A "drive-in" burger place. You park up almost at the counter and then get out and order. Dick's Drive In:

www.ddir.com

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=47.661365,-122.327644&spn=79.223186,201.796875&t=v&z=3&layer=c&panoid=iWKNuqVbesSPiuSmlwrAtA&cbll=47.661365,-122.327644&cbp=13,-157.50869462249162,,0,2.234535401010021

• Advertisement

the whole Sonic chain is based on not having to get out of your car......you park in the bay and a server comes out to take your order and then delivers the food to your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

There's a reason why 7-11 hotdogs are cheap.....they don't have to factor waste into the price.....they put them in the steamer and they stay there until they're sold
    poisonated wrote: »

If you're in Chicago, you can go to any neighborhood 'hot dog joint' and do far better than a 7-11. I cringe at the thought of eating one of those.

The 'deep dish pizza' thing is also funny. People always talk about this being a big deal in Chicago. Most of the locals (including myself) would never think to order a deep dish pizza. It is something that is marketed to the 'tourists'. Now don't get me wrong, a nice deep dish Geno's East pie would be nice right about now. It's just not a 'staple' in Chicago.

the whole Sonic chain is based on not having to get out of your car......you park in the bay and a server comes out to take your order and then delivers the food to your car.

Nice. I didnt think we had any up here but apparently there's one 30 miles away.

http://www.sonicdrivein.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

There are a few really good drive in restaurants left around if you don't want to go for the Sonic chain, on a related note, look for an old fashioned drive in theatre. Hundreds were closed this year because they couldn't afford the digital transition (film companies no longer produce reel). There are some that have managed to survive. If you are like myself and get annoyed by the slightest thing at the movie theatre not to mention the prices, you will love the comfort and old American charm of a family run drive in.

Pizza can be a very individual thing based on your location. I dont think there's any right or wrong way just what you get used to, and thats usually one of your local delivery places.

http://ballard.palermorestaurant.com/zgrid/proc/site/sitep.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

If its good enough for Heidi Klum, its good enough for me!!!

Imo the best of the takeaways in the US, burgers are dripping with juiciness and are messy to eat!!
    http://www.carlsjr.com/

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    on a related note, look for an old fashioned drive in theatre. Hundreds were closed this year because they couldn't afford the digital transition (film companies no longer produce reel). There are some that have managed to survive. If you are like myself and get annoyed by the slightest thing at the movie theatre not to mention the prices, you will love the comfort and old American charm of a family run drive in.

Yes! Up here in Seattle I dont think there are any (too much rain?).

But I used to live near one in California and it was sooo much fun. Familys would wrap up in blankets in the back of pickups, kids would be making out on first dates. People would bring chairs and sit outside. Each parking spot (they were on a hump so the car faced up towards the screen) came with a Box on a wire with a speaker and a volume control and you could put it in the car. Sometimes you could tune in to a specific FM channel and get the sound too.

Sadly I went and checked and the one we used to live near has closed.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/21176

Off topic from the food.......or can we talk about the good old "let's all go to the lobby" song.

Thankfully our local drive-in is still open......it's built on a slight slope so there's no issue seeing over the cars in front.....they've updated to FM transmitted sound, which is awesome since it allows you to keep your car windows closed on colder nights.

The digital conversion has hurt small theatres.....i've heard that it's $60000-$70000 per screen, which will be a strain on many small drive-ins

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Apparently the enforcement of Daylight Savings Time was one of the things that killed off most of the drive-ins back in the '60s and '70s. By the time it got dark enough to show a movie outdoors, it was too late for anyone to go to a movie.

There is only one (AFAIK) in my area and it is more of a novelty than a real cinema. Normally shows vintage horror movies instead of the latest blockbuster releases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

This may be slightly ironic, but one thing I love when I go home is getting "fast food" from the local petrol station, the "7-11" style food. I hate it here and back home its soo good. Rashers, sausages, pudding, sausage rolls, jambons, everything. And in some places they'll serve until all hours of the night. The food is quality and the people will make up anything for you. Here, you're stuck with a day old pizza slice (ahem, cardboard) or some hotdogs. It's the only place for food I have found lacking in this country. Not just 7-11, but most convenient stores. You just can't beat that food element we have at home.

Advertisement