Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselling for Depression

Options
  • 19-03-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello can anybody recommend a good counselling service for depression I live and work in South Dublin
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 christinekiki

I found my counselling service in the golden pages, i know it has a massive number out there but it's not a bad place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Just google it, you'll get a lot of recommendations. You can go through the HSE or visit your GP as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I heard an interview on the radio a few years ago on depression. There was some type of a health professional (can't remember the details) - but she made a point that 'sometimes' counselling when depressed is not a good idea. As it brings up more stuff than the person is able to deal with. And can 'deepen' a depression.

I thought it was an interesting point and something I would never have thought of. From my experience with depression - there is a point to the above.

Going devil's advocate on myself - if there is an underlying reason to the depression, then dealing with that might really help.

The other thing that gets a lot of positive feedback CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). One of these days I will do it. CBT is a form of psychotherapy and dealing with thinking. I don't know a lot about it really.

They are a lot of different types of counsellers/therapists. And they all don't have the training. Maybe going over here might help you make a decision on what kind of counsellor you want. And they will point out kinds of accreditation to look out for.

Getting a good counsellor is so important. Best of luck and hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BritanyBitch

Thanks so much for the reply this really helps :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

From the forum charter:
    We often get requests for recommendations for therapists and the like in particular geographical areas.

We cannot give recommendations - you should choose a therapist based on how well YOU get on with them not how well someone else does, any thread asking for recommendations will be locked.

There is an excellent thread in the Psychology Forum on how to go about finding a counsellor, therapist or psychologist for yourself HERE which we recommend you read instead.

All the best OP.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement