Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff banned from parking in Jetland

• 19-03-2013 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

http://www.live95fm.ie/News-Sport/Article/?ItemID=14368

Anybody have any idea why Dunnes are doing this? A couple of friends of mine work there and have said they don't know where they're going to park now. Apparently company sales rep have been told that they're not going to be allowed to park there either.
    Cars rarely seem to park outside there and even the underground is never that busy. Just doesn't seem very logical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

2.8 Parking space provided in a 'customer' car park
    Where the availability of a parking space to an employee is in a car-park which is normally available to, or reserved for, customers, the levy will generally apply. For example, the levy will apply in circumstances where the employer is providing the parking spaces and an employee is given a dedicated parking space or the availability of a space to the employee is on a first-come – first-server basis.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/paye/guide/employers-guide-paye-levy.html#section2.3

Could this be it?

Trying to find if its considered in a parking levy area but cant find anything stating it.

was the charge ever introduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

No, it's free parking there. I could understand if staff were taking over the car park and not leaving any space for customers, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd imagine the owners of the estate charge Dunnes for car parking space usage or something like that, Dunnes don't want to have to pay for their staff, they are ok with paying for their customers. If ~100 people work in Dunnes, allowing for shift patterns and stuff, that would be ~20 people at any time, allow for half of those driving to work, that's 10 spaces taken up at all times, Dunnes would probably be charged for those spaces by the park owners.

In a lot of places all the parking spaces closed to the doors are taken by staff, Tesco in Ennis is a great example of this.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd imagine the owners of the estate charge Dunnes for car parking space usage or something like that, Dunnes don't want to have to pay for their staff, they are ok with paying for their customers. If ~100 people work in Dunnes, allowing for shift patterns and stuff, that would be ~20 people at any time, allow for half of those driving to work, that's 10 spaces taken up at all times, Dunnes would probably be charged for those spaces by the park owners.

In a lot of places all the parking spaces closed to the doors are taken by staff, Tesco in Ennis is a great example of this.

Like the white polo in coonagh in the parent and child spaces!

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd imagine the owners of the estate charge Dunnes for car parking space usage or something like that,

Apparently Dunnes Jetland own the car park, where as Dunnes in Parkway and Childers Rd don't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

MarkR wrote: »
    Like the white polo in coonagh in the parent and child spaces!

I wouldn't like to speak on specific incidents, but you'll always spot the same cars in the same spaces almost every day, Tesco in Ennis is a great example and amazes me, it has 1 of the worst laid out/organised car parks I've ever seen and the spaces nearest the doors are always taken, the whole car park could be empty and those spaces would still be taken.

Between that and people parking there for GAA matches mean that it's almost impossible to park there sometimes, especially on Saturdays.

Anyway, majorily off topic/forum, back a bit on topic, I'd imagine Dunnes got a notice from the landlord looking for money for parking spaces being taken up, they might have fought it or questioned it or had a warning about it, so have to be seen to do something about it. That car park is always nearly empty, I'd imagine it wouldn't be worth the landlords time to pay for a car park attendant, Dunnes have their bit done by telling their staff not to park there and can argue with their landlord that it's not their staff.

Apparently Dunnes Jetland own the car park, where as Dunnes in Parkway and Childers Rd don't.

I read that completely wrong, I took it that the Jetland was the only 1 affected as they didn't own the car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I'd hazard a guess there are 2 sides to this story. Wouldn't surprise me if Dunnes just don't want staff parking in the prime areas. This may apply to bank of Ireland, McDonalds and all the other retail outlets as Dunnes own the whole lot.

There is plenty of parking in the outer fringes of the complex that I have never seen a car in, yet parking is always scarce around the bank in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Could they not park across the road in the retail park where Showtime and Woodies are located or is that place owned by the same landlord?

• Advertisement

seems ther is another thread in legal discussion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83697034

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bazz26 wrote: »
    Could they not park across the road in the retail park where Showtime and Woodies are located or is that place owned by the same landlord?

Told not to park there either apparently, bizarre thing from Dunnes, that carpark is always half empty even at peak times, even if the staff are taking the ones closest the door, so what? its not like you've to walk miles the place isnt that big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I work in this dunnes in Jetland and we were just told out of blue not aloud park there and our cars would get clamped and the next day all the other retail units were told they are not allowed park there either.

We are not allowed park in woodies/show time/lidl/Ivan's

sure how they expecting you to get to and from work? there's nowhere else to park out there bar that area and lidl/supermacs.

did they give a reason? and how they gonna know every staff members car anyway?

krudler wrote: »
    sure how they expecting you to get to and from work? there's nowhere else to park out there bar that area and lidl/supermacs.

did they give a reason? and how they gonna know every staff members car anyway?

Plenty of on street parking in the housing estates around, but it is a walk to Dunnes from any of these.

Seems a bit daft given there is plenty of parking in the more remote parts of the complex.

Hopefully both sides will see sense and just have a specific place for the staff to park, furtherest from the doors or something, I'm sure there are some spaces there that have never been used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Dunnes own the place, all those stores in Jetland closed because Dunnes wanted more rent money. They were all doing fairly decent year on year sales.

Not exactly the greatest record of treating the people who make them money and use their land well, they should just stick with selling food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I shop there regularly and it's not as if the place is ever full but I'm considering boycoting the place now to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The first thing that came to mind when I heard this was Dunnes' challenge to the Revenue bill for sale of plastic bags.

Odds on its tax related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

sumtings wrote: »
    2.8 Parking space provided in a 'customer' car park
    Where the availability of a parking space to an employee is in a car-park which is normally available to, or reserved for, customers, the levy will generally apply. For example, the levy will apply in circumstances where the employer is providing the parking spaces and an employee is given a dedicated parking space or the availability of a space to the employee is on a first-come – first-server basis.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/paye/guide/employers-guide-paye-levy.html#section2.3

Could this be it?

Even if this was the case, wouldn't it be the employees paying the levy anyway and not Dunnes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

That is what we all would love to know how we are going to get to work, we are working with union at the moment.

No reason at all, apparently there will be there a clamper and if a car is there for more than 2 hours will get clamped makes no sense because there could be a customer shopping for that long.

Better not go to a long movie in Showtime either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Seems a ridiculous decision based on what can be seen from the outside.

So if I go to the Hobbit for example I run the risk of my car being clamped simply because the film I am paying to see is longer than two hours?

Or I go to have a coffee in the Jetland centre and then do my shopping in Dunnes I risk being clamped if I go over two hours?

As a consumer who actually shops in that Dunnes the answer would be very easy for me. I just spend my money in a different cinema and don't spend any money in any store with a Dunnes link and as a consumer be sure to let anyone in my circle know of the risk involved of shopping in the Jetland if you intend on spending two hours in that centre. I'm sure Superquin/Tesco/Storm/Omniplex will have no problem with me parking my car outside their stores if I am spending money in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As a sales rep I find this a little disconcerting but Jetland is one of the places I avoid anyway.

I was in a Dunnes this morning in Galway and told to wear a hi viz over my suit on the shop floor. I asked where they kept them and I was told I need to buy my own so I left instead.

Not every Dunnes has the same rules and I use the jacket thig as example but the parking one is really weird. That car park is never full not even on GAA match day(where the clamper will make a killing).

Enforcing penal rules will only drive customers away to Tesco and fill up the supermacs car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

they do have a very minor problem of people parking cars there all day (possible car pool people I always felt) but its so minor and the car park is so empty 100% of the time, its a bit strange. In the crescent I think staff have to park in the outer car parks well away from the doors but it doesn't sound like Dunnes even want that. just hope staff don't start parking in neighbouring estates, bad enough having to put up with students from LIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There are no signs in the upper car park other than a big one by te bank saying set down only. So as far as I'm concerned its still business as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

i wondered if the original planning application permit would have had a ruling on parking spaces for staff so staff wouldn't be taking up scarce street parking in the area

Beer Baron wrote: »
    There are no signs in the upper car park other than a big one by te bank saying set down only. So as far as I'm concerned its still business as usual.

My friend's a rep too Beer Baron. He said there's a sign up in goods inwards saying that from next week reps and merchandisers are not permitted to park there. Absolutely ridiculous. The majority of them want to get in and out as fast as possible, so it's unlikely that they'd be in there much longer than two hours anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

My friend's a rep too Beer Baron. He said there's a sign up in goods inwards saying that from next week reps and merchandisers are not permitted to park there. Absolutely ridiculous. The majority of them want to get in and out as fast as possible, so it's unlikely that they'd be in there much longer than two hours anyway.

Where are the reps and merchandisers supposed to park then? Are they meant to park in one of the housing estates and carry their product/signage from there?

Kess73 wrote: »
    Where are the reps and merchandisers supposed to park then? Are they meant to park in one of the housing estates and carry their product/signage from there?

That's what they're all wondering Kess. Apparently they weren't actually told anything, they've just seen the sign put up.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    As a sales rep I find this a little disconcerting but Jetland is one of the places I avoid anyway.

I was in a Dunnes this morning in Galway and told to wear a hi viz over my suit on the shop floor. I asked where they kept them and I was told I need to buy my own so I left instead.

Not every Dunnes has the same rules and I use the jacket thig as example but the parking one is really weird. That car park is never full not even on GAA match day(where the clamper will make a killing).

Enforcing penal rules will only drive customers away to Tesco and fill up the supermacs car park.

Now that's complete madness!

I can understand employees to park out near the fringes but these seem draconian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Could they not designate an area in the outer fringes of the underground carpark specifically for the employees?

Advertisement