Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff banned from parking in Jetland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Wonder what on earth is going on with Dunnes policies these days. First they ban animal charities from doing bag packs and then ignore the online petitions asking for that decision to be overturned. Nobody who has emailed them or written to them on that has received a response and now they won't allow their own staff to park in the car park:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

they do have a very minor problem of people parking cars there all day (possible car pool people I always felt) but its so minor and the car park is so empty 100% of the time, its a bit strange. In the crescent I think staff have to park in the outer car parks well away from the doors but it doesn't sound like Dunnes even want that. just hope staff don't start parking in neighbouring estates, bad enough having to put up with students from LIT

I have to admit that I'm an LIT student and I would typically park in Dunnes, I stick to the outer fringe area spaces though. I figured, like others, that since the carpark is rarely full I'm not inconveniencing anyone. It's also probably better than parking in the housing estates/on the street when the LIT car park is full. I regularly shop in Dunnes/Woodies and go to the cinema after college so I didn't feel too bad about it. I'll be parking somewhere else from now on for sure. Can't believe they're doing this to the staff and contractors, surely they could designate an area of the carpark as others have suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Wonder what on earth is going on with Dunnes policies these days. First they ban animal charities from doing bag packs ...
    In fairness, dogs are not known for their bag packing skills. Don't talk to me about cats. That said, if a labrador made a half decent effort I'd certainly donate more than if it was scouts or whatever. :pac:

Seriously though, just animal charities? As for the other stuff - very very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

they do have a very minor problem of people parking cars there all day (possible car pool people I always felt) but its so minor and the car park is so empty 100% of the time, its a bit strange. In the crescent I think staff have to park in the outer car parks well away from the doors but it doesn't sound like Dunnes even want that. just hope staff don't start parking in neighbouring estates, bad enough having to put up with students from LIT

You can be a bold boy and can park downstairs, just not in the delivery areas or you might get a sticker. The security can be awful pedantic at times when they are bored or when the managers are around but wouldnt go from car to car trying to determine if it was a customers or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

But WHY should the staff park on the outskirts of the shopping centre????? Surely the staff have as much right to park near the front of a shopping centre as a customer. Dont know why a staff member should surrender a parking space that is close to the entrance to a customer. In fairness the staff spend much more time in the shopping centre than any customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

KevLeppard wrote: »
    But WHY should the staff park on the outskirts of the shopping centre????? Surely the staff have as much right to park near the front of a shopping centre as a customer. Dont know why a staff member should surrender a parking space that is close to the entrance to a customer. In fairness the staff spend much more time in the shopping centre than any customer.

In fairness the customers spend much more money in the shopping centre than any staff. That's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

and if customers can't park relatively near to the doors, then they may go elsewhere to shop. staff wouldn't usually leave a job that gives them free parking near their workplace cos they can't park close to the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

and if customers can't park relatively near to the doors, then they may go elsewhere to shop. staff wouldn't usually leave a job that gives them free parking near their workplace cos they can't park close to the door.
    Ha! The cheek of them, coming in taking things off the shelf. Kev is right, customers should feel privileged to be allowed in there at all.

(sarcasm of course, not meant to suggest that the staff view customers in this way, just kev. I sympathise with the staff having to deal with policies like these)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I agree that it would be very irresponsible of the staff to hoarse the good parking in Jetland. There's loads of parking there and if thu were restricted to the lower section outside(behind the bank) then it still would be near the shop.

Look at the crescent. Most cars by the library are staff cars right in front of the door. Same cars every single day. They're great spaces and they're definitely hoarding them. Then again the rent is so damn high out there it kind of gives me a reason to park where they want.

Other areas are just beyond the new ramp entrance where the old garden centre was, behind next and that little fenced off area by the library.

Even Christmas week there are free spaces at both shopping centres so its weird Jetland are pursuing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The jetland or crescent aren't THAT big, any time I've gone to the jetland I've never had to walk more than 50 feet or even less to the door, its not exactly a long haul in fairness, so its not like staff cars are ever an issue. same as the crescent, christmas is the only time parking is hard there, any other times theres tons of free spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

That Jetland is a dive.there is nothing there only dunnes & few other shops.That place is dying a slow death. the underground carpark is never full along with the top part.The state of the road is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

cackhanded wrote: »
    In fairness the customers spend much more money in the shopping centre than any staff. That's why.

That's not right at all us staff in there buy our lunches in dunnes on a daily basis and a lot of the staff do there weekly shop aswell so we just spend as much money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

That's not right at all us staff in there buy our lunches in dunnes on a daily basis and a lot of the staff do there weekly shop aswell so we just spend as much money.

The point is that the convenience of the customer is more important than the convenience of the staff. If customers cannot get convenient parking they may well choose to go to a rival supermarket. Staff who leave because they cannot park right outside the door are easily replaced.

cackhanded wrote: »
    The point is that the convenience of the customer is more important than the convenience of the staff. If customers cannot get convenient parking they may well choose to go to a rival supermarket. Staff who leave because they cannot park right outside the door are easily replaced.

But if you see the size of this car park no customer has ever to walk loads to get into shop and where the staff park is completely out of the way so that's what we the staff are on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

From your most recent reply I'm getting that management have done this because staff are getting greedy with the spaces nearest to the door.

Customers DO take priority and it doesn't matter how much staff spend in there, you're still staff so not the stores priority.

If you think the customers don't have far to walk then why don't you just walk that little bit further if its not an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I don't see where the problem is, it's the owner good will whether they allow people to park or not. Of course it's handy for the staff to be allowed to park there, but if it is ask nicely to add it to your contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

You wouldn't really though if you look at it from the potential money a parking space could bring in. If you say work a 40 hr week and spend €100 on your weekly shop plus let say €5 a day on your lunch that's €125 per 40 hour week. That parking spot is bringing in roughly €3 per hour.

Now say a customer does their weekly shop, it takes them an hour to do a €100 shop. Over 40 hours that parking space could be occupied by 40 different customers. At €100 an hour that space will bring in €4,000 in 40hrs. So that's €4,000 from customers versus an employee's €125 in the same time frame.

Don't get me wrong, employees should be allowed to park somewhere in the car park. I just see why they are (in The Crescent etc) not allowed park at the spots closest the door.

ETA: I say all this as someone who used to work in 'old' Jetland and cycled to/from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I use Jetland regularly and I can see both sides of the story.

On the one hand I believe that staff should be allowed to park in the car park. Its vast. And there is plenty of space for everyone.

BUT I have seen staff parking their cars in the child friendly spaces near the old Costa Coffee Shop. I have a child on the autistic spectrum who went through a phase of "bolting" - just running out without looking or heeding any traffic. On a number of occasions I tried to park there but found staff in Dunnes uniform sitting in their cars. So I ended up having to park in a situation where I had to cross the road meaning I had to grab on to the child tightly and be extra vigilant. And I will not park in a disabled spot because my child is not sufficiently restricted by their disability to justify taking the spot of someone more incapacitated than my child. But the child friendly spots are ideal - or were ideal when we were going through the bolting stage. Thankfully we've passed through it.

I think there should be an area away from the main parking areas where staff could leave their cars. An area where there are generally no customers parking.

Similarly with car poolers. I am sure car poolers will often pop in to Dunnes at the end of the day and do their shopping. So why not allow them park in the more distant areas of the car park where they are not inconveniencing the regular shoppers.

Its a lovely car park, there's room for everyone. Sensible solutions could make everyone happy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mrs. Clareman used to go into the Jetland to do some shopping, I mentioned it to her about staff not being allowed park their any more and she said "good, at least I won't have to go through a load of smoke or fag butts to go shopping anymore", she noticed that a lot of staff sit in their cars to smoke, as it's an underground car park this means that the smoke lingers a lot more, I can't say I ever noticed it but it's not like she's overly sensitive to smoke or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Clareman wrote: »
    Mrs. Clareman used to go into the Jetland to do some shopping, I mentioned it to her about staff not being allowed park their any more and she said "good, at least I won't have to go through a load of smoke or fag butts to go shopping anymore", she noticed that a lot of staff sit in their cars to smoke, as it's an underground car park this means that the smoke lingers a lot more, I can't say I ever noticed it but it's not like she's overly sensitive to smoke or anything.

I dunno, I'm in the Jetland a fair bit and I have never ever encountered a problem with smoke or smokers in either the underground or overground car park...rarely even see someone smoking in the underground part never mind smoke lingering in a well ventilated car park..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

theres a bigger `problem' with the staff smoking upstairs by the trolley bay than downstairs at the doors imo. I don't know what sense there is to this decision - was there today at lunchtime and there didn't seem to be any noticable difference in the number of spaces avail upstairs or downstairs. You'd never have to walk more than a row or two to find a spot before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Interestingly this morning when I was driving out the Ennis Road I noticed a number of cars parked in the spot opposite the Applegreen petrol station where the Gatzo van usually parks up :):):)

The more, the merrier folks. That Gatzo van only ever appears to park there when the traffic grinds to a halt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Dunnes are a horrible company anyway imo. It doesn't surprise me! They do a lot to annoy me.

* Banning staff from car park

* Banning animal charities

* Not selling plastic bags, only bags for life for treble the price.

* Sarsfield Street and O'Connell Street sites creating eyesores in the meantime.

Dunnes are a horrible company anyway imo. It doesn't surprise me! They do a lot to annoy me.

* Banning staff from car park

* Banning animal charities

* Not selling plastic bags, only bags for life for treble the price.

* Sarsfield Street and O'Connell Street sites creating eyesores in the meantime. .

That is what makes a company succesful. Its just business at the end of the day and they are right to not allow a tesco eat their profits.

They also have really long queues and never open new tills.
    Tesco do and tesco have a nicer range of food.
    Just go tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

lkionm wrote: »
    That is what makes a company succesful. Its just business at the end of the day and they are right to not allow a tesco eat their profits.

They also have really long queues and never open new tills.
    Tesco do and tesco have a nicer range of food.
    Just go tesco.

So true, the only thing i prefer from dunnesis their chicken and mushroom pies.

OT - This sounds ridiculous from Dunnes tbh. If they dont clarify this with a reasonable excuse I would start looking for another job, wouldnt work for someone that treats you like this.

Its really down to the managers of the place and the supervisors. Surely 1 of them can tell the head office/manager to go f.uck off and to hire more people for the tills.

Or just smile and nod but still park there if the order is from head office.

Bicycle wrote: »
    Interestingly this morning when I was driving out the Ennis Road I noticed a number of cars parked in the spot opposite the Applegreen petrol station where the Gatzo van usually parks up :):):)

The more, the merrier folks. That Gatzo van only ever appears to park there when the traffic grinds to a halt ;)

Some people are parking there across form the pertrol station - and the most of us parking around woodies/supermacs/lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Some people are parking there across form the pertrol station - and the most of us parking around woodies/supermacs/lidl.

Taking up the spaces that customers of other businesses should be using, through no fault of your own, Dunnes are idiots for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Should ask management where they should park. Even better, ask management where they park.

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    Should ask management where they should park. Even better, ask management where they park.

Management are parking were we are parking also.

Advertisement