Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Rose

Options
  • 19-03-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Maybe I should try re-phrasing this.

What do I need in order to connect 5 bulbs in parallel off my single mains feed in my kitchen? What device do I need, will it be suitable to use for 5 low wattage (~ 40 watt) bulbs controlled via a dimmer switch?

Thanks

Hi
    I'm looking to replace my single bulb kitchen light with 5 low watt bulbs. As such I need a ceiling rose that will allow me to connect the 5 bulb fittings into the mains coming from ceiling. I also need these to be connected in parallel so as I get same voltage across all 5 so they illuminate at same rate. Can anyone suggest what the actual device which I referred to as a ceiling rose earlier is and where I could get one. I looked on Radionics web site but not sure if it is what I need ( http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/ceiling-roses/2627922/ )

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

just get a sparks to use 1.5 twin and earth cable from your existing light to your new locations you might need to use a joint box

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭robh71

Thnaks

I'd much prefer to do myself. <My question is what type of junction box should I use and will using 5 'splits' from this work ok with a dimmer switch. I also need confirmation that doing thi in parallel is best way

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

its clear from the post you don't know how to so get a sparks to do it please.

robh71 wrote: »
    Thnaks

I'd much prefer to do myself. <My question is what type of junction box should I use and will using 5 'splits' from this work ok with a dimmer switch. I also need confirmation that doing thi in parallel is best way

Well parallel is the only way this can be done or they won't work properly. All the lighting in your house is done in parallel except some of your christmas tree lights which may be wired in series.

It can be done using the JB method but if you're going pulling up floor boards/crawling through an attic to run new cables for the extra lights, I'd suggest you try move the existing wiring (if possible) to where your first light is going to be and loop around to each new fitting from there.

But if you're going with the JB method, this type will do

AAJB206.JPG

20Amp 6 terminal. Any electrical wholesalers will have these.

Now, not trying to sound smart but if you are very un-sure on how this should be done, get a qualified spark in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Calgary22 wrote: »
    its clear from the post you don't know how to so get a sparks to do it please.

great first post:rolleyes:
    welcome to boards

• Advertisement

Thanks meercat its great to be here.:) its harsh but true i don't mean to be insulting but that's the truth it aint plumbing hes trying:)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭robh71

no its not plumbing- its a very straightforward procedure! The advice I was asking for was provided by shaane, i.e the junction - Thanks

well from your post you made it sounds like your a bit unsure but if its so straightforward fire away:D;)

robh71 wrote: »
    no its not plumbing- its a very straightforward procedure! The advice I was asking for was provided by shaane, i.e the junction - Thanks

Just remember rule number 1. SWITCH THE POWER OFF!

How do you do that?:D

• Advertisement

How do you do that?:D

Take the batteries out! :p

Out of the main switch fuse?:/ or is there batteries in the Rcd?:D

Sorry op for my previous bitchy post shane explained it to you spot on hope it works out:)

Well robh, how did you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

Thanks meercat its great to be here.:) its harsh but true i don't mean to be insulting but that's the truth it aint plumbing hes trying:)

Thats so true
    You could train a chimp to do plumbing:)

Electrics is different

i didnt mean that as an insult i meant if you try a bit of plumbing yourself taps etc worst that can happen is a flood if your messing with electrics well we all no what can happen:(

Advertisement