Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 405 Battery Replacement

Options
  • 19-03-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Does anyone in Ireland replace batteries in these watches? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Keedowah wrote: »
    Does anyone in Ireland replace batteries in these watches? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    There is no 'supported' way to do this. Your best options are:
    a) Return it to Garmin who will replace it with a refurbished unit (for a significant chunk of change)
    b) Order the parts and do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Thanks Krusty - will give it a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

I bought a Garmin 405 in the Summer of 2008. The battery lasted 4 years. In September 2012 I contacted Garmin support and they quoted me a figure of £78.30 to replace the battery. I considered doing it myself and watched an online video. However, you need some soldering skills which ruled that option out. In January of this year I bought the Garmin 410 for ~£135 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭shanye

How did you get on with the new battery I in the same way watch needs new battery sure there must be someone in Ireland that can replaces these, Garmin don't expect to dump the watch when the battery is dead do they..

shanye wrote: »
    How did you get on with the new battery I in the same way watch needs new battery sure there must be someone in Ireland that can replaces these, Garmin don't expect to dump the watch when the battery is dead do they..

Yes, or return it in exchange for a factory reconditioned unit (for a hefty fee). My 405 is going strong since 2008. If You look after the battery, it will last for many years (charge frequently and avoid running down).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

My 305 battery died about two months ago....been using a "common or garden" Casio watch since. :eek:;)

However I've been meaning to send off for a battery replacement, for quite a while.

Cork Running posted an alternative to Garmin battery replacement, which, by all accounts, supplies a better battery....and an awful lot cheaper!

Just emailed them to see what did say,USA based company a little far Id say.

Just received a email with a link to his EBay site has any one else have any dealing with this company, A fair price for his service but I always cautious,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190709188945?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

The watch maker/repairer in Dundrum Town Centre, does replacement of batteries for the Garmin.
    Not sure what he charges, worth a call?

SharkTale wrote: »
    The watch maker/repairer in Dundrum Town Centre, does replacement of batteries for the Garmin.
    Not sure what he charges, worth a call?
    Which Garmin model is that SharkTale? Some of the models (Forerunner 50, 60 etc.) don't have rechargeable batteries and are designed to have their batteries changed. Most others are sealed units, and require some level of soldering (and re-sealing). Be good to know if there was a shop that offered that service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Which Garmin model is that SharkTale? Some of the models (Forerunner 50, 60 etc.) don't have rechargeable batteries and are designed to have their batteries changed. Most others are sealed units, and require some level of soldering (and re-sealing). Be good to know if there was a shop that offered that service.

I dropped in with my 405 to get the stop/start button repaired (as I damaged it myself), they said they could not do repairs as they did not carry Garmin spare parts but have replaced the batttery in Garmins before. Fast -Fix is the name and in the town center beside the main lifts, leval 2 ( I think).

Condo131 wrote: »
    My 305 battery died about two months ago....been using a "common or garden" Casio watch since. :eek:;)

However I've been meaning to send off for a battery replacement, for quite a while.

Cork Running posted an alternative to Garmin battery replacement, which, by all accounts, supplies a better battery....and an awful lot cheaper!
    Finally bit the bullet on this and have sent it off to this guy this afternoon. His repair cost, inc sending back to me, is $47.75 (approx. €35.15). Postage cost me €3. Padded envelope was €0.49. Turnaround should be approx. 6-9 working days. (I'd like it back in time for Dublin! :eek:...it'll be tight!)

I'll post again once I have some sort of result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Condo131 wrote: »
    (I'd like it back in time for Dublin! :eek:...it'll be tight!)
    To the US and back and repaired? not a chance. Garmin take that long for RMAs sent to the UK to turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Think I'll try this. My Garmin was working perfectly so I'm guessing it's a dead battery. I almost never let it run down and I recharged more than regularly. Was about 2.5 years old. I've just returned a borrowed one and am now all alone!! Was thinking of going for "athletics stopwatch" option, but I'm tempted by this.

If you want to hold off just a few days I'll post as to how I'm getting. Mine went off on Monday 3 to 4 days delivery (3 Please!!), 1 day turnaround (Friday ...begging). Once it's on the way back, I'll be able to track it and post here that it's on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Have a 205 with 3 of the 4 rubber buttons damaged/missing. Quote is $70 as the bottom part needs changing but he also changes the battery as well so could be well worth it. Will be interested in how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Think I've got me ould 305 back up and running!!!!!!!! YaY! Three months after it crashed and 2 months after I borrowed from a friend and a day after I gave that one back. She's charging away and I just checked to see if it would turn on.... lo and behold, and fingers crossed, seems fine. Still charging as it's been so long but all looks good. Back in action.

Re: Forerunner 305 battery replacement
    https://www.fixyourgps.com/

Costs:
    Padded envelope €0.45
    Postage to USA: €3.00
    Battery Replacement charge: €36.33 ($47.75 = $35 for repair and $12.75 shipping)
    Total cost: €39.78

I got an email this morning: "Your items shipped on 10/20/2013 via USPS : First-Class Package International Service"

Summary:
    This went out in the 16:30 post last Monday (14th)
    Battery replaced
    Shipped for return yesterday (20th)

Fingers crossed that I get it by Friday!

Package "DEPART USPS SORT FACILITY" in LA at 23:12, local time, last night.
    Bit disappointed that it took so long to get to LA from Phelan (2 days). Two more delivery days before Dublin...gonna be tight! ;) Won't lose too much sleep if it doesn't come in time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

it will last for many years (charge frequently and avoid running down).

Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't it be the other way?

You make sure to cycle the battery, so yes you can keep it charged but its important to drain it from time to time and charge it up again....same as laptop battery?

• Advertisement

You may be thinking of Nickel Cadmium batteries, which suffer from a memory effect, and are typically prolonged by a full charge/discharge cycle.

The batteries used in a Forerunner are lithium ion and have no memory effect. To prolong the life of the battery, do not discharge fully. Keeping them at around 40% charge will result in a longer battery life span (in other words not permanently attached to the charger, and not completely discharged). Also keep in a cool place and avoid overheating. There is a suggestion that allowing the battery to fully discharge once a month (or every 30 charge cycles) may be beneficial, but to be honest, one is likely to do this anyway (unintentionally) so I wouldn't go out of my way to do it on purpose.

Friday has come and all but gone...and no sign of my Garmin.:( It was a long shot anyway, posting it to the States 9 days ago and hoping for delivery by today. :rolleyes:
    Probably come Tuesday!:rolleyes:...So....relying on plain ol' Casio on Monday. Been using it since late July anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

well Condo131, was following this, did you receive the battery yet?
    let us know how it works out, my battery is also on the way out.
    thanks

Yeah....finally got it today. I've been away all week, so missed an attempted delivery, by An Post, at 2:15 last Tuesday. Looks good, but needs a test run...maybe tomorrow. I'll update after that. I intend running unit until battery is depleted and giving a full charge.

So all in all, it took 10 working days.

On Monday last, I used an old Casio. Been using it for the past few months, without problems. As I was changing my gear in the baggage area, after finishing, I glanced at the watch, just in time to see it fade and die, losing all my data! :eek: <Grrr!!!>

Went for a short 24 min run this morning and watch is fine. I'd started it running about an hour beforehand, so it's now been running for almost 2 hours. Before the battery replacement, it was lasting about 8 minutes. It's now running away and I'll leave it until it runs the battery down, and recharge fully. After that I'll use as "normal".

I'll post an update, as an edit to this post, on how long the battery lasts - this battery is reputed to be much better than the Garmin one.

Edit: Low battery came up after 8.75 hours. Didn't let it run to empty though.

Thanks for the info. Ill ship my watch off next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

My 405cx has started to die after an hour or two out running. I was looking at youtube vid's on replacing the battery myself but wouldn't be too keen with the soldering aspect of it.

This metho of sending it off to the US looks interesting though, and If it's possible the few who already have, could they confirm their batteries are still going strong?

Thanks

Roddy

Mine is still going 2.5 months later. No issues.

Sent my Garmin off for repair in late Nov. Got a tracking no and info that it had left LA after being repaired on Dec 12th. To date no sign of it arriving. Contacted An Post and it hasn't arrived into the country. Info from the sender is that he has been advised on the US side that its in customs and could take another 2 months. Bit of a disaster but I was probably just unlucky and the time of year with Christmas post probably didn't help. Any contact with the sender (Dan - fix ur GPS) is fast and efficient.The price for repair and service seems to be spot on - I was just unlucky with postage.
    I am currently using a borrowed Garmin the last 2 months.
    If I don't get it in the next few weeks Ill start the process of claiming for the loss of the watch thru the sender/US post.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that you had hassle. Something clearly has gone wrong...I don't understand how it can be held up in customs in the US. It's hardly on their restricted list for making chemical weapons!:rolleyes:

I presume that you've used the US postal tracking number and checked online? Other than that, I can't offer any advice...as per my previous posts, I had no issues with getting mine repaired and back to me.

Advertisement