Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCC Grade to GPA

• 19-03-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys,

Sorry about this, but I couldn't find anywhere else in the board that this was posted.

Can anyone tell me what a 2:1 in UCC equates to in GPA in the states?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules for converting British and Irish grades to GPAs.

When I was applying to the States last Autumn (or Fall!) I used the Fulbright commission's conversion chart: http://www.fulbright.org.uk/pre-departure/academics/marks#conversion Using that chart I calculated a GPA for each module individually and then averaged out to get my overall GPA. There are two advantages to the Fulbright chart: 1) the results generally come out more favorable than other charts and 2) Fulbright is a highly reputable organization so using it (and mentioning you've used it) adds some credibility to your conversion.

If you're applying to a university (?) it shouldn't matter too much anyway, as they'll likely be highly familiar with international applicant's grading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

4.0 is equal to 100 so divide 4 by 100 and the multiply it by your percentage marks

(4/100) x 69 and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

4.0 is equal to 100 so divide 4 by 100 and the multiply it by your percentage marks

(4/100) x 69 and so on

It's not that simple though: Irish and British tests are harder to score high on than American ones. Fulbright suggests equating a First Class Honours (anything above 70%) with 4.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

It's not that simple though: Irish and British tests are harder to score high on than American ones. Fulbright suggests equating a First Class Honours (anything above 70%) with 4.0.

So the new formula is to divided 4.0 by 70 and then multiply it by your percentage marks

Advertisement