Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunboyne 4 Miles - 24/3/2013 - 3pm

Options
  • 19-03-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Anyone running this on Sunday? One of my favourite races on the calendar as the organisation is always top notch and there is a great atmosphere around the town with the streets lined with supporters. There is also some juvenile races beforehand too. Hopefully the weather will make a bit of an improvement between now and then though.

Race Website
    Last Year's Thread
    Last Year's Results

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

Yep, planning on giving this a crack for the first time based on rave reviews from friends and the effusive feedback on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yep I'm signed up....have a 21st to go to the night before so I won't be setting a PB that's for sure! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'm signed up. Really looking forward to it.

Planning on driving out to Dunboyne between half 1 and 2 on Sunday, coming from the Clonee side. Where's the best place to get parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

vitani wrote: »

Planning on driving out to Dunboyne between half 1 and 2 on Sunday, coming from the Clonee side. Where's the best place to get parking?

Always plenty of parking in the school car park. If you are there before 2 you should get a spot no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,503 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any advice on a warm up before this race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

haven't done this before. But, I'm looking forward to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

walshb wrote: »
    Any advice on a warm up before this race?

You could jog from registration to the start line? Must be at least 1k. A few people do strides etc on the road off to the side of the start line as well if want to do anything extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Registered for this today. Described as fast and flat, but there's a bit of a hill between the hotel and the roundabout. I'll be happy enough with sub-30 this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Might not suit you vitani but the train is real handy one for this race. Under used if you ask me but I don't think many know about it. Used it myself the last two years and for a cross country race a few months back. Handy warm up to the race registration of about 1K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Might not suit you vitani but the train is real handy one for this race. Under used if you ask me but I don't think many know about it. Used it myself the last two years and for a cross country race a few months back. Handy warm up to the race registration of about 1K.

Hadn't considered it until you mentioned it but just checked the Irish Rail website. For some reason, I hadn't realised that Dunboyne was a separate stop to the M3 Parkway - if it's close to the registration, it would suit me quite well. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Signed up today. Looking forward to racing this distance for first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Hadn't considered it until you mentioned it but just checked the Irish Rail website. For some reason, I hadn't realised that Dunboyne was a separate stop to the M3 Parkway - if it's close to the registration, it would suit me quite well. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's perfect for registration. A handy jog up. Probably not much more than 500m when I think of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thinking of popping out to run this on Sunday. Would have to do long run on Saturday though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

Last year it was 23 degrees and on Sunday it'll be 3 degrees. Only in Ireland.

corny wrote: »
    Last year it was 23 degrees and on Sunday it'll be 3 degrees. Only in Ireland.

So true. I don't care if it's cold. I just hope it's not windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Only started running in January and managed 4 miles for the first time last Thursday. Have ran that distance 4 times since in or around 35 minutes each time so am going to give this a go Sunday.

First ever running event I've even attended.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Only started running in January and managed 4 miles for the first time last Thursday. Have ran that distance 4 times since in or around 35 minutes each time so am going to give this a go Sunday.

First ever running event I've even attended.

I am hoping for 26-26:30. My first competitive race as well.

If the weather stays like this I will not be going to this! :pac:

I am hoping for 26-26:30. My first competitive race as well.

How long you been running? That's near ten minutes better than what I'm hoping for.

Lemlin wrote: »
    How long you been running? That's near ten minutes better than what I'm hoping for.

I run for "fun" and fitness. Not mad into it, but I would do steady runs 3-4 times a week, sometimes 5-6 times a week. Years doing that. Usually 5-6 ks maximum. I just hope when I finish the run that I feel that I have emptied the tank. First race, so I am not expecting a "perfect" pacing. I want to finish faster than when I start or mid race pace.

• Advertisement

If the weather stays like this I will not be going to this! :pac:

A runner's worst enemy is that weather. Swirling cross winds.

A runner's worst enemy is that weather. Swirling cross winds.

I did 4 mile in it last night. Was very tough. Doing laps round a pitch and on one straight the wind would almost blow ya backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

1st race since October due to injury, ran sub 30 last year, I'm way off that form at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

JosDel wrote: »
    1st race since October due to injury, ran sub 30 last year, I'm way off that form at the moment...

Great to hear you're back and ready to buy a football club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭hawkwing

JosDel wrote: »
    Same here,first outing since DCM 12,will be doing well to break 32 :o

Should have registered last night. Doh. Did 19 miles today so I'd be ecstatic with a PB (28 minutes) whether I can hold 7 minute miles after the 19 today is another thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Did 28:17 two years ago on a perfect day at this. Would like to break 28 but think weather could hurt my chances. Gale force out and I bet a snow shower in the race

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Just back from this. Very well organised race if a little tight at the start and the usual walkers starting up front :confused:...the route was very clearly marked out, big illuminous signs which was great. The weather wasn't too bad in the end, freezin but at least it wasn't raining, didn't have too long with a head wind either, it tended to be a cross wind or tail wind. Came in just over 25 minutes, which I was slightly disappointed about as I wanted to go under 25. I didn't hang around too long after but stopped off in the hall for a quick drink of milk and some cakes and have to say the spread was among the best I've seen. Loads of home cooked cakes. It took a lot of discipline not to stay there scoffing everything! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Same as said already,very well organised and a great race.Did it last in 2009 and i regret not having done it the last few years. Just missed the 30mins and about 3 mins off where i would hope to be but at the same time about 2 mins ahead of where i thought i might be so happy to be just back running again. Pity the cold made the support smaller than usual and made you just want to get back to the car asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

Ditto. Very well organised. By the time I walked down to the centre afterwards, the results were already up on the wall - very efficient. It's a good course too. That wind was cold, but it didn't seem to be in your face too much during the race. Was hoping for sub 26, but didn't quite make it.

Advertisement