Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunboyne 4 Miles - 24/3/2013 - 3pm

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have wanted to do this race for years but just falls at a bad time of year for marathon runners.
    Start line was a bit messy with people arriving late having no option but to go to the front with the barriers blocking them from getting further back.

The support coming through the town was fantastic fair play to the residents and supporters for coming out in the freezing cold to support the race and we passed here 3 times so its a nice boost.

Wind didn't bother me too much, it wasn't too bad really even along the dual carriage way and a nice wind behind us at the start and coming up to the finish.

My only gripe was the start line. Fantastic race, well organised and quick to get through the finishing chute. They made up for the start line with the large amount of gluten free goodies back at race HQ, to say I was impressed would be a major understatment. I was all ready to treat myself to cake and accept the suffering later on, alas I didn't have to. If anyone from Dunboyne is on here and can get me those bread and brownie recipes I would be doubly impressed.

2 min pb for me and all, just missed the sub 26 but after a 19 mile long run yesterday I'll take that with both hands.

Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Congrats Dunboyne AC. Very impressed.

edit: also hats off to precision timing who had the results on the wall shortly after I got back to race HQ and they were online by the time we were standing around with our tea and cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pad-cam

photos from race sorry i was not there that long http://www.flickr.com/photos/76302773@N04/sets/72157633080201518/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Enjoyed every minute of that. Great atmosphere, great course and I loved the spread after. Was not expecting to see the final results until tomorrow, so that was a very pleasant surprise.

Finished in under 34 and I'm delighted. I'll definitely be sticking this race in my calendar next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,503 ✭✭✭✭walshb

25 mins 06 provisional. Delighted with that time. Bitter cold there today. I am hoping the official time is lower as I think I started my stop watch a little early.

Edit: Net time is 25 mins 7 and gross is 25 mins 29

What does this mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

walshb wrote: »
    25 mins 06 provisional. Delighted with that time. Bitter cold there today. I am hoping the official time is lower as I think I started my stop watch a little early.

What does this mean?

25:29 from gun to finish.
    25:07 from when you crossed the start until the finish.

Sounds like you started way too far back if it took you 22 seconds to cross the start line?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What does this mean?

Your time from crossing the start line to finish line is 25:07 - your time from when the gun went to when you crossed the finish line was 25:29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭hawkwing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

27:52 clock time and 27:17 chip time.
    A pb by a minute exactly. Felt strong throughout. Spent all my time passing people out.

menoscemo wrote: »
    25:29 from gun to finish.
    25:07 from when you crossed the start until the finish.

Sounds like you started way too far back if it took you 22 seconds to cross the start line?

Thanks

Many people started even further back. So my actual time was 25:07? Big crowd, very bunched together at the start, so 22 secs to travel 20 metres or so isn't too bad.

My splits were 6:27, 12:47 and I finished the last two miles in 12 mins 20. Took 3-400 metres until I got to run fluidly and cleanly. Sub 25 is in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks

Many people started even further back. So my actual time was 25:07? Big crowd, very bunched together at the start, so 22 secs to travel 20 metres or so isn't too bad.

My splits were 6:27, 12:47 and I finished the last two miles in 12 mins 20. Took 3-400 metres until I got to rune fluidly and cleanly. Sub 25 is in me.

Yeah, your actual time was 25:07.
    You finished well inside the top 100 so you were entitled to be up much closer to the front. You probably only should have been about 5 metres back from the line.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah, your actual time was 25:07.
    You finished well inside the top 100 so you were entitled to be up much closer to the front. You probably only should have been about 5 metres back from the line.

Yeh, I was wondering why I was passing with ease so many people farther up the road from me. My friend did a 21:43. Great result. Think he came 23rd.

BTW, my placing is listed as 105.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

33.08 gross time and 32.26 net time. Delighted with that. Only started running ten weeks ago and ran 6.5k for the first time ten days ago.

My first ever race and hope to run alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Found that tough in the windy spots but the run through the village the second time was amazing - just broke my 24 minutes target by a few seconds! Delighted. :D

The Mooney brothers have photographs up on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/sets/72157633073639903/

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Great race, nice fast course (not the windy nightmare I was expecting), but I've never been so glad for the heat from the starting line huddle in my life :)
    24:14 which is bang on what I was hoping for in advance of Connemarathon.

Thank you organizers!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Great race as usual. Well done Dunboyne AC. Despite the freezing cold weather there was still great support from the locals and the spread afterwards was top notch. I even ran a PB to top things off :)
    My splits were 6:27, 12:47 and I finished the last two miles in 12 mins 20. Took 3-400 metres until I got to run fluidly and cleanly. Sub 25 is in me.
    BTW, my placing is listed as 105.

I'm pretty sure it must have been you who flew passed me and another guy in a Tallaght singlet on the finishing straight as you finished 2 places ahead of me. If so, you clearly had a lot more in the tank and sub 25 will be no bother to you with a bit more race experience.

beeduybe wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it must have been you who flew passed me and another guy in a Tallaght singlet on the finishing straight as you finished 2 places ahead of me. If so, you clearly had a lot more in the tank and sub 25 will be no bother to you with a bit more race experience.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was a little bit disappointed that I didn't go a bit harder over the last 400 metres. Put it down to experience. Plus I wanted to run 26. I knew I had that in the bag, and I think that may have made me a bit "lazy" over the last 400.

My last two miles were 12 mins 20-22. So, 6 mins 10/11 pace. I was hurting, but I do think I had more in me, as I recovered quite quickly after the race. No coughing, chest pains etc. Sore calves was all. First ever run. I probably jog 20-25 ks per week. Need to do more mileage to drop the race times.

BTW, I just checked again and I am placed 105th, yet there are entries above me that ran slower times. When I place myself on net time I come in in 97th place overall (96 times are recorded that are faster than my time). You may want to check this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

BTW, I just checked again and I am placed 105th, yet there are entries above me that ran slower times. When I place myself on net time I come in in 97th place overall (96 times are recorded are faster than my time). You may want to check this too.

Official results are always based on gun time i.e. the order you cross the finishing line. Net time is generally what you'll base your PB on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

First time doing this race today. Not surprising for an event of this stature it provides serious value for money. Being my 3rd race in 4 weeks and the 5/6 pints last night I was happy enough with 28:34. Might have got under 28 on a good day so all in all a very good training run.

The only thing annoying was the amount of FG heads around canvassing although it was good to see Mr Varadker running.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Official results are always based on gun time i.e. the order you cross the finishing line. Net time is generally what you'll base your PB on.

I see. So, even though 106 people passed the finish line before me, I still had a faster 4 mile time than 8 of those people based on actual chip time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I see. So, even though 106 people passed the finish line before me, I still had a faster 4 mile time than 8 of those people based on actual chip time.

You'll find that there are some people who finished after you with a faster time than you though.

It took me a minute to cross the start line, so my chip time is faster than most of the people I finished close behind. But equally, there's people who finished 20 places after me with a better chip time.

vitani wrote: »
    You'll find that there are some people who finished after you with a faster time than you though.

I was thinking that. But I checked into the 200s and I didn't see any. There may be some after that.

Edit: None

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

I had to smile when I saw the team of FG canvassers for the bye-election out running the race in their gear. They don't miss a trick do they? :) Also, noticed Eamon Coghlan chatting with the Minister for Sport Leo Varadkar beforehand too. [edit] oops point already made by pistol_75

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

My 3rd year to run this race, after being out injured for 5 months or so, I was delighted with my race & time 30.01
    Great organisation by Dunboyne AC, crowds were great, Big thanks to the volunteers...

The organisers were fantastic. Lovely spread they put on in the center. Excellent value for money. Great atmosphere on the route as well. Certainly helps and pushes you.

Just a query: Any of you guys get an email before the race day stating that the community centre would be open from 12 noon till 2pm? It was very misleading for them to send that email. I took from it that you had to be there no later than 2 pm or you would not get to collect your chip because the center would be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Just a query: Any of you guys get an email before the race day stating that the community centre would be open from 12 noon till 2pm? It was very misleading for them to send that email. I took from it that you had to be there no later than 2 pm or you would not get to collect your chip because the center would be closed.
    Yes I got that email too but assumed they were just trying to get people to arrive early to stop a rush at the end. I arrived at 2:30 and had no issue collecting my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

I really dont understand why people try their best to pick holes in things and try to find flaws all the time.

You will be hard pushed to find a race that was organised better than yesterdays race. But then again i am biased as its my club race.

wowzer wrote: »
    I really dont understand why people try their best to pick holes in things and try to find flaws all the time.

You will be hard pushed to find a race that was organised better than yesterdays race. But then again i am biased as its my club race.

Nothing to do with picking holes.

I thought it was well organised. Loved it. Credit to those who organised it. I was just wondering if anyone else received that mail. And, yes, it was very misleading. Maybe there was a reason for it? Error in typing?

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    Yes I got that email too but assumed they were just trying to get people to arrive early to stop a rush at the end. I arrived at 2:30 and had no issue collecting my number.

I arrived at 1420 hrs, but I do not agree with the sending out of false information like that. Only a friend of mine "assured" me that we could arrive anytime up to race time. All they had to say in the email was please try to arrive in plenty of time. I don't see why they knowingly gave out complete false information.

Advertisement