Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunboyne 4 Miles - 24/3/2013 - 3pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

walshb wrote: »
    I arrived at 1420 hrs, but I do not agree with the sending out of false information like that. Only a friend of mine "assured" me that we could arrive anytime up to race time. All they had to say in the email was please try to arrive in plenty of time. I don't see why they knowingly gave out complete false information.
    I can see where you are coming from alright as I tend to like to arrive just in time, particularly in the cold weather I don't like hanging around much before a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,503 ✭✭✭✭walshb

fletch wrote: »
    I can see where you are coming from alright as I tend to like to arrive just in time, particularly in the cold weather I don't like hanging around much before a race.

Spot on. I had no reason to disbelieve the information in the email. I trusted that what they were sending me was accurate. Then I was thinking to myself, why would they have people hanging around for 60 mins before race time? I am glad I listened to my friend and arrived that bit later.

Anyway, that was my only "gripe." All else was spot on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Most races will ask you to turn up at least an hour before the start. Perfectly reasonable request. I wouldn't want to be turning up much less than an hour before the start.

No good to them to have 200 people queueing for numbers at 2:50 and then people complaining about the race starting late.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

It has everything to do with you picking holes.. you had a good day yesterday, yes? Ran a decent time, yes? Then why did you feel the need to post your only gripe?? I know you said There was lots of positives yesterday but you still felt the need to draw attention to a negative. I just don't get that.

Most races will ask you to turn up at least an hour before the start. Perfectly reasonable request. I wouldn't want to be turning up much less than an hour before the start.

No good to them to have 200 people queueing for numbers at 2:50 and then people complaining about the race starting late.

Perfectly reasonable request? They requested nothing. They sent out false information. Did nobody think that sending this out could actually cause problems? All they had to email was the truth. Please try and arrive in plenty of time.

I just cannot understand why they would give out that false information.

• Advertisement

Perfectly reasonable request? They requested nothing. They sent out false information. Did nobody think that sending this out could actually cause problems? All they ahd to email was the truth. Please try arrive in plenty of time.

I just cannot understand why they would give out that false information.

Stop trolling. It's obvious and boring.

wowzer wrote: »
    It has everything to do with you picking holes.. you had a good day yesterday, yes? Ran a decent time, yes? Then why did you feel the need to post your only gripe?? I know you said There was lots of positives yesterday but you still felt the need to draw attention to a negative. I just don't get that.

Oh, I didn't realise that we could only be positive. I thought that it was a pretty important issue. Is your club free from suggestions, criticisms etc? Do they ever ask for feedback? Well, I believe in giving feedback. But, does the club only want positive feedback? Surely any feedback should be looked at. It may help in the future. They did a tremendous job yesterday. The email bit did indeed bug me, and I think rightly so.

Stop trolling. It's obvious and boring.

So rather than discuss you'd rather throw the trolling card? Grand.

So rather than discuss you'd rather throw the trolling card? Grand.

Well firstly you're always seeking to wind people up around here.

Secondly, this is a non issue. 'False information', give me a break FFS. The majority of races will publicise the exact same sort of thing.

Making an issue out of nothing, but, what else would we expect from a troll eh?!

Well firstly you're always seeking to wind people up around here.

Secondly, this is a non issue. 'False information', give me a break FFS. The majority of races will publicise the exact same sort of thing.

Making an issue out of nothing, but, what else would we expect from a troll eh?!

Wind people up? Is that what it's called when people may see an issue a bit differently?

Oh, and sending out emails to people paying for a race organised by them that contains false information like what they posted is making an issue out of nothing?

Had it been me in charge that email would not have been sent. I would have sent the participants the truth. Wow. Shoot me.

• Advertisement

Wind people up? Is that what it's called when people may see an issue a bit differently?

No that is called a difference of opinion, you are a wind up merchant.

Anyway, off topic, don't know why I bothered even replying to you I ignore your posts for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Oh, I didn't realise that we could only be positive. I thought that it was a pretty important issue. Is your club free from suggestions, criticisms etc? Do they ever ask for feedback? Well, I believe in giving feedback. But, does the club only want positive feedback? Surely any feedback should be looked at. It may help in the future. They did a tremendous job yesterday. The email bit did indeed bug me, and I think rightly so.

Aw man I give up.... Obviously all feedback is greatly received, but come on. I'd hate to see your list of gripes about the organisation of 90% of races in this country.. if you choose to be anal and pedantic about that email then so be it, you are entitled to feel that way if you choose.

wowzer wrote: »
    Aw man I give up.... Obviously all feedback is greatly received, but come on. I'd hate to see your list of gripes about the organisation of 90% of races in this country.. if you choose to be anal and pedantic about that email then so be it, you are entitled to feel that way if you choose.

Well, 90 percent of my feedback for DAC would have been positive. The sending of that email with completely inaccurate information was IMO wrong, and could well have led to more problems. They should not have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

FWIW I do see where walshb is coming from. While it didn't bother me in this instance as I live very close by, I have been running late for races before, panicking, working myself up into a state thinking I am going to miss registration, only to arrive and find myself with time to spare as registration hasn't closed when it said it would.
    I'm not looking to wind anybody up, merely to point out that if things don't happen to plan on race day, it can be distracting/upsetting.

Anyway, off topic, don't know why I bothered even replying to you I ignore your posts for a reason.

So, stick to your guns then. Don't enage if it bothers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So, stick to your guns then. Don't enage if it bothers you.

You should always arrive at a race an hour before hand in respect to other runners. Now sometimes that wont happen due to things going wrong.

No club wants people arriving 10 mins before start and then delaying the race for everyone.

Maybe races shouldn't send this email out, but would you be happy to arrive at 2.30 to find a massive queue and miss the start of the race ?

Or would you moan about the queue and that the race wasn't delayed?

You should always arrive at a race an hour before hand in respect to other runners. Now sometimes that wont happen due to things going wrong.

No club wants people arriving 10 mins before start and then delaying the race for everyone.

Maybe races shouldn't send this email out, but would you be happy to arrive at 2.30 to find a massive queue and miss the start of the race ?

Or would you moan about the queue and that the race wasn't delayed?

Like I said, I am well aware that it's best to arrive in time. But, why couldn't they say this? Why deliberately give out false information?

Tell the people who are paying them for the race the truth. Is that too much to ask in society today? To treat people fairly and honestly. Somebody sent the email with or without the club's consent.

Simple: Please try to arrive in plenty of time to register and warm up and begin the race. Not sending out what they sent, that the centre closes 60 mins before race time. As far as I know people were still registering a few mins before the race. And, guess what, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

.good fcukin jaysus,does one day not go by when deres no crap on this forum.......its because of this sort of bulsh1t that more people are taking up swimming and cycling....

?

If there is a queue for registering then they have to deal with that. If that delays the race so be it. They have to allow people to register. They do not have to register people who arrive to the registration late (if they have an agreed registration time) Now, they told people that at 1400 hrs the centre would close. That meant that registration would not be possible after 1400 hrs. That was false.

Like I said, I am well aware that it's best to arrive in time. But, why couldn't they say this? Why deliberately give out false information?

Tell the people who are paying them for the race the truth. Is that too much to ask in society today? To treat people fairly and honestly. Somebody sent the email with or without the club's consent.

Simple: Please try to arrive in plenty of time to register and warm up and begin the race. Not sending out what they sent, that the centre closes 60 mins before race time. As far as I know people were still registering a few mins before the race. And, guess what, no problem.

Because people are stupid that's why. People will never do what they are told unless there is a serious reprimand for it.

• Advertisement

If there is a queue for registering then they have to deal with that. If that delays the race so be it. They have to allow people to register. They do not have to register people who arrive to the registration late (if they have an agreed registration time) Now, they told people that at 1400 hrs the centre would close. That meant that registration would not be possible after 1400 hrs. That was false.

Know what, you go and organise a great race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ultraman1 wrote: »
    .good fcukin jaysus,does one day not go by when deres no crap on this forum.......its because of this sort of bulsh1t that more people are taking up swimming and cycling....

Just as well the bs is balanced by posts that make you laugh..... Fair play - you call a spade a spade ;)

Because people are stupid that's why. People will never do what they are told unless there is a serious reprimand for it.

Way to go to tarnish all those people who paid to compete in the race. Of course there will be people who will be scatter brained and arrive late etc. But there are also many many many who do not. Who is the club thinking about when they send mails like this?

ultraman1 wrote: »

Too many clowns running these days, of course they are all experts in telling people that have organised races for years how to do their jobs!!

Know what, you go and organise a great race!!

That's not really a solution to the problem. To blatantly give out false information to so many people. I don't know, maybe it's just me. You fellas see nothing wrong in treating people this way. Anyway, I am sure the club can answer my query.

I am betting a mail worded like I said would have been more than satisfactory. And, more important, true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Way to go to tarnish all those people who paid to compete in the race. Of course there will be people who will be scatter brained and arrive late etc. But there are also many many many who do not. Who is the club thinking about when they send mails like this?

They're probably thinking about people like the woman who came up to me near the start line at quarter to 3 and asked where registration was.

vitani wrote: »
    They're probably thinking about people like the woman who came up to me near the start line at quarter to 3 and asked where registration was.

Well, that's where they need to be educated and start thinking about the many many other people who are treating the race properly. The "late" people can register as long as the registration process is still open. Set a time for it to close, problem solved. Simple as that. Don't tell people that the whole centre will be closed 60 mins before the race when they know damn well that it will not be closed.

The winning time wasn't all that impressive. Was it a case that the winner had no competition towards the end of the race, and was happy to coast home? I think he won by 25 seconds or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

That's not really a solution to the problem. To blatantly give out false information to so many people. I don't know, maybe it's just me. You fellas see nothing wrong in treating people this way. Anyway, I am sure the club can answer my query.

I am betting a mail worded like I said would have been more than satisfactory. And, more important, true!

What exactly did this famous email say/not say ?

• Advertisement

notsofast wrote: »
    What exactly did this famous email say/not say ?

It said that the centre is open from 12 noon till 2 p.m. Before saying this it said that you go there to register. I thought it a bit of an inconvenience that I had to be there no later than 1400 hrs. But to then realise that it was not true. The centre was open past 1400 hrs and registration was ongoing.

Volunteers, stewards, food providers etc. 10/10. Person/persons who sanctioned and sent that email? 0/10.:pac:

Advertisement