Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunboyne 4 Miles - 24/3/2013 - 3pm

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Shame on you Dunboyne AC, shame on you. Sending scam emails with false information, intentionally wasting peoples time in blatant and outlandish fashion. For shame. Scum, sub-human scum.

(Joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,503 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pconn062 wrote: »
    Shame on you Dunboyne AC, shame on you. Sending scam emails with false information, intentionally wasting peoples time in blatant and outlandish fashion. For shame. Scum, sub-human scum.

(Joke)

I wouldn't go that far now. We all make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

You had to go there to register - true
    Centre was open from 12-2 - true
    You saying you HONESTLY thought that the race HQ was going to close an hour before the start?
    FFS

notsofast wrote: »
    You had to go there to register - true
    Centre was open from 12-2 - true
    You saying you HONESTLY thought that the race HQ was going to close an hour before the start?
    FFS

I had a feling you'd use that. The mail clearly implied that the centre would be open until 2. The word "until" was used. Now, any half educated person will take that as meaning that after 2 the center will not be open. The centre was open well past 2. And even if I give you the benefit of the doubt with semantics the mail was very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

First time doing this race and can see why it is so well regarded. One of the flattest courses I've ran and caught all the distance markers. I don't usually hang around after races but there was such a wonderful community atmosphere in the hall. Well that and the cakes were absolutely delicious. The volunteers seemed to deal with everything with calmness and a smile.

Unfortunately I didn't get the infamous e-mail and left it it a little tight getting to the start - was a bit of a trek for someone who didn't know the area. Started a little further up the field than I should have. Will know the next time.

• Advertisement

Heliotrope wrote: »
    I don't usually hang around after races but there was such a wonderful community atmosphere in the hall. Well that and the cakes were absolutely delicious. The volunteers seemed to deal with everything with calmness and smile.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done to all in Dunboyne AC on the organising. Directions were clear throughout, although the start wasn't perfect (rarely is in these events) and having finished inside my target time, to have the choice of soup/tea/coffee as well as sandwiches, cakes etc, made running in the Arctic conditions more than worthwhile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

Well done as usual Dunboyne. Congrats and thanks to everyone who helped continue to make this the spectacular success it is.
    I was delighted with my sub 30, as I didn't break 31 in last years summer ( March 25th :D). What a temp. dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

walshb wrote: »
    I arrived at 1420 hrs,
    So, you blatantly ignored an official race instruction and just thought "fcukit, I'll rock up anytime I want, because I can't be arsed following an official race instruction, 'cause my mate says that's cool." What a numpty you are. And then you have the neck to come on here and spout ****e about
    ..false information..
    You need to grow the fcuk up.
    The people who go to the bother of organising races send emails like this so as to avoid late surge to registration. It's similar at every race, and equally annoying if you're one of the people trying to sort of late comers to registration, or waiting at a start line for the late comers who couldn't be arsed showing up at the directed time.
    I don't see why they knowingly gave out complete false information.
    Oh FFS!
    At the risk of a ban your acting like a spoilt little brat.
    When you get a few more races under your belt you will soon realise how misguided you are being now.
    For the record, I think you are trolling as well....in a few threads.

PS. good time, you should be pleased.
    if we work on your diet and training we might start to see some results. ;)

PPS. if it were my race, i wouldn't have left you register late. :D

b.harte wrote: »
    So, you blatantly ignored an official race instruction and just thought "fcukit, I'll rock up anytime I want, because I can't be arsed following an official race instruction, 'cause my mate says that's cool." What a numpty you are. And then you have the neck to come on here and spout ****e about
    You need to grow the fcuk up.
    The people who go to the bother of organising races send emails like this so as to avoid late surge to registration. It's similar at every race, and equally annoying if you're one of the people trying to sort of late comers to registration, or waiting at a start line for the late comers who couldn't be arsed showing up at the directed time.

Oh FFS!
    At the risk of a ban your acting like a spoilt little brat.
    When you get a few more races under your belt you will soon realise how misguided you are being now.
    For the record, I think you are trolling as well....in a few threads.

PS. good time, you should be pleased.
    if we work on your diet and training we might start to see some results. ;)

PPS. if it were my race, i wouldn't have left you register late. :D

Cool the jets there. Were you the one who sent the email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Enail enclosed, no mention of hall closing, in fact its clearly stated it would be open post race, overall thought it was a great race and well organised

Hi There,

Many thanks for entering the race on Sunday. Please collect your number at the Registration hall in the Community Centre which is open from Midday to 2pm on attached map. The race starts a mile away from there at 3pm
    Please wrap up well as it will be cold but hopefully dry!
    Come back to the Registration hall afterwards for a well deserved hot drink and some sandwiches!

Cool the jets there. Were you the one who sent the email?

dernipper wrote: »
    Enail enclosed, no mention of hall closing, in fact its clearly stated it would be open post race, overall thought it was a great race and well organised

Hi There,

Many thanks for entering the race on Sunday. Please collect your number at the Registration hall in the Community Centre which is open from Midday to 2pm on attached map. The race starts a mile away from there at 3pm
    Please wrap up well as it will be cold but hopefully dry!
    Come back to the Registration hall afterwards for a well deserved hot drink and some sandwiches!

Semantics. BTW, being open post race is of no relevance. Anyway, why are folks so sensitive? It was for me the only issue. Seems to be lot of aggression in this forum. Sorry I brought it up. 10/10 for the rest of the race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

It's relevant as it never stated the registration hall was closing at 2pm,,,,, but I do agree, semantics :)

Quote=walshb;83832041]

Semantics. BTW, being open post race is of no relevance. Anyway, why are folks so sensitive? It was for me the only issue. Seems to be lot of aggression in this forum. Sorry I brought it up. 10/10 for the rest of the race day.[/Quote]

I'll put it down to experience. Next year I'll disregard the mail. Sub 24 here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm looking forward to the post next year
    "I turned up to register 30 minutes before the start and was told that it was too late!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Almac06

Well done to Dunboyne on a great race, it was a very cold day for runners but even tougher for the numerous organisers and stewards who i’m sure were out in that for most of the day. Like a lot of these local runs the organising that goes into these races is considerable so only fair to acknowledge the great effort that resulted in a great race.

I saw something that was fantastic to see and quite moving in the last four runners who were amputees completing the race on crutches. They went by the community centre were practically all participants were in having their tea and cakes and still had over a mile to go. The locals were beeping and encouraging them as one in particular was struggling and the other 3 were staying close by as they had all planned to finish together. The girl that was struggling was in pain and could easily have stopped and entered the hall with a great achievement of completing nearly 3 miles but she dug in and continued.

I came out of the community centre at this stage and joined in with the large group of Dunboyne stewards who instead of clocking out at the end of a very cold day of standing around accompanied and encouraging them to the end which took an additional 40 mins. Whilst entering the final stage the 4 gathered and turned the corner together and were greeted by a consortium of people who were taken out of the local pubs and shops by the organisers including the guy on the mike grabbing everyone he could. The result was what a was supporter free finish line five minutes before they arrived as it was now 4:40, 1 HR 40 mins after the start was now a race finish full of enthusiasm, emotion and joy. These 4 runners were visibly moved by the reception and very thankful to the organisers, stewards and locals who really went beyond the call of any mandatory requirements of organising a race to ensure they got through this race and were subjected to the same buzz and excitement that the rest of us runners had the pleasure of receiving when finishing. Their names were obtained by the MC who remained until all runners had finished and he roared them on, you could see the adrenaline flow as the four dug in and finished strong to great applause and roars.

Well done to Dunboyne running club, the Dunboyne people and most of all the 4 truly inspiring runners who dug in and completed this race. The girl who I mentioned, I was told by one of her fellow runners could not walk any distance on crutches not too long ago but now has achieved this great accolade.

I felt privileged to have witnessed all this, this is what a race is about and not peoples naive take on an E-Mail.

Well done to all again!!!!

Inspiring!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

And well done to you Almac on posting this, and having the decency to think of others less fortunate than those of us who were stuffing our faces. Your post surely puts other things in their rightful place.

As I referred to earlier, the good people of Dunboyne, and people like yourself, are the reason this annual event is right up there with the best, if not THE best.

Roll on 2014 and a light SW breeze at 12 degrees, nicely situated between 24 and 0 degrees of the last 2 runs. And a PB of course.

I took great satisfaction in finishing ahead of a Government Minister :). Fair dues to you, Leo, you're in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Does anybody know if the race video in being uploaded to the web ?

Advertisement