Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIC Digital Photo

Options
  • 19-03-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

I have been trying to take my digital photo and I am on the verge of a mental breakdown.

I have been using the idphotoforyou.com website as that has been recommended on previous threads, and any time I download the photos, they come out huge and it comes in a pdf with four images on it.

How has everyone taken their photo?

Thanks,

Niamh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Myself and 2 friends literally scanned passport size photos and got our visas no problem!

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Took mine on my iphone!

Meets all specifications listed on the site, remember it asks for a "digital photo", doesn't have to be a passport photo

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Niamh_M

Thanks everyone. Got it sorted and sent away! Just took it with my digital camera! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Myself and 2 friends literally scanned passport size photos and got our visas no problem!

Hope that helps!

I just checked my passport photo and it doesn't show my shoulders. The MyCIC requirements says it must do this. I'd love to skip the selfie nonsense (I've taken about 20 already and they're all off!) and scan the passport one but if it doesn't meet the requirement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I just checked my passport photo and it doesn't show my shoulders. The MyCIC requirements says it must do this. I'd love to skip the selfie nonsense (I've taken about 20 already and they're all off!) and scan the passport one but if it doesn't meet the requirement...

The photo I scanned qualified for an Irish passport, which I know they are very picky. Can remember if it has shoulders or not but if its used for a passport then you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    The photo I scanned qualified for an Irish passport, which I know they are very picky. Can remember if it has shoulders or not but if its used for a passport then you should be ok.

Thanks very much! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Im trying to use idphoto4you

I took a pic with my digital camera then upload it to the site selecting Canada 3.5 x 4.5cm & 600dpi but when I download the pic its much bigger .....about 4.5 inches x 5.5 inches.I scanned a passport picture and the same thing happens when I download it but the quality on that one doesn't look great....am I missing something? Or can I send them the bigger pic?

IEC Photo - Dimensions:
    The final frame size of the photo must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8" x 1 ¾").
    The photographs must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
    The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31 mm (1 ¼") and 36 mm (1 7/16").
    Digital dimensions are often expressed in pixels or DPI (dots per inch). The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540.
    Quality/Resolution:
    If an existing photo is being scanned, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch.
    File Format:
    The file may be submitted in JPEG or JPEG2000 format.
    File Size:
    The final size of the image should be ideally 240 kB (kilobytes), but not less than 60 kB.
    Colour:
    The image must be in color (24 bits per pixel) in sRGB colour space which is the common output for most digital cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

When I applied last year I scanned my drivers license and used that idphoto site to crop and straighten it :) hope that helps someone

Thanks,I tried scanning my passport pics but the end quality didn't seem great,will try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Son wrote: »
    Im trying to use idphoto4you

I took a pic with my digital camera then upload it to the site selecting Canada 3.5 x 4.5cm & 600dpi but when I download the pic its much bigger .....about 4.5 inches x 5.5 inches.I scanned a passport picture and the same thing happens when I download it but the quality on that one doesn't look great....am I missing something? Or can I send them the bigger pic?

I used idphoto4you last year for the digital photo last year, the photo will look bigger due to the resolution which is ok, as long as it meets their specs it should be ok.

• Advertisement

gary27 wrote: »
    I used idphoto4you last year for the digital photo last year, the photo will look bigger due to the resolution which is ok, as long as it meets their specs it should be ok.

I've managed to make one at 600dpi,the dimensions are 827 x 1063 pixels and 85KB.

They mention the minimum size but not the max so hoping its ok? Its like the size of my hand on the screen though if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Son wrote: »
    I've managed to make one at 600dpi,the dimensions are 827 x 1063 pixels and 85KB.

They mention the minimum size but not the max so hoping its ok? Its like the size of my hand on the screen though if that makes sense

yes it makes sense, mines was also the same resolution and was 258kb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Just trying to figure this out now. Ive taken a digital photo and uploaded it to idphoto4you, and selected the single image option, at 600dpi. The end result picture when i open it is nearly the size of the screen, is that ok? The resolution of it is 827x1063 and file size is 92kb. The only part im worried about is it says your head from top to chin should be between 1 1/4" and 1 3/4", and it appears much bigger than this on my screen! Is this just because of the resolution, and CIC do something to it to reduce the size?
    thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

what everyone gonna use idphoto4you.com to resize there digital image?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 synech

Does anyone know if you need 2 differnet photos or can they be the same photo uploaded 2 times?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

synech wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you need 2 differnet photos or can they be the same photo uploaded 2 times?

You only need one photo

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gaire

On the photo4u site it keeps giving me my photo like 4 in one screen as if its for printing and cutting out? Is it just supposed to be one picture of you in the pic.

So confused :/

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ck24

gaire wrote: »
    On the photo4u site it keeps giving me my photo like 4 in one screen as if its for printing and cutting out? Is it just supposed to be one picture of you in the pic.

So confused :/

Theres an option to click on single photo.

I don't see that option anywhere.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

my photo is the last thing i have to upload and have been trying constantly for the last week. Would it make sense to delete my current application and start a new one and see if i can upload everything in one go ??

• Advertisement

Is anyone else getting an error message uploading their documents for he work permit? ?? It won't upload a single thing. Just keeps saying error.

Please help

breghall wrote: »
    my photo is the last thing i have to upload and have been trying constantly for the last week. Would it make sense to delete my current application and start a new one and see if i can upload everything in one go ??

Don't delete it. I don't think you can apply again. Try email them

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

I got my IEC visa last year. For my photo I just scanned an old passport photo I had, I got a set of six for my passport. Obviously it was the correct size because it was a passport photo. I just made sure it matched the specs given for the photo section and I had no problem.
    Seriously people, calm down read the information given with your application and just follow it. You will be fine.
    If you can't follow simple instructions on the application you obviously struggle in life in general and in no way should leave your home let alone the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ck24

I don't see that option anywhere.. :/

Well its definietly there because I used that site for my photo! Look again, I think its after you upload the photo there's a drop down list for size, click on single photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Don't delete it. I don't think you can apply again. Try email them

Just want to add in case it helps anyone, that i ignored this advice purely as I was getting frustrated by not being able to upload my picture.

I deleted my application and started over, it maybe took 3-4 attempts to get the forms to upload by after an hour i had everything completed and submitted...

Got my POE today....

Thanks to all on here who were invaluable with the insight and info, it was very much appreciated. Best of luck to those still waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jimbob1255

Just to clarify here did the photo given by idphoto4u with dimensions of 827x1063 pixels work fine for everyone who used that? Thanks.

Advertisement