Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE....ADEC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

I think the next update is our flight info which could be just days before, it's pretty stressful not knowing so I'm trying to just be really laid back about it! Also I'm just hoping there's no delays etc with my paperwork and visa! Hoping we find out more soon but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lilly0907

Hey guys, does anyone know if our phones will work over there? I'm assuming we can just get them unlocked and buy a sim over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 decohy

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone had some guidance as to the interview with ADEC?
    May have one in a couple of weeks myself.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tigger30

Trying to be laid back about it is difficult but hoping we'll hear something soon like you Dublingirl. Keep thinking I should be trying to get organised for going but with no definite plan keep putting it off. Are you a primary school teacher?

The interviews for ADEC were fine. They concentrate mainly on classroom management, your methods of teaching (mentioning active teaching and group learning seems to be important) and how you will deal with literacy problems. If you can answer these and give examples from your experience you should be fine. Also a good idea to know some stuff about the country, be flexible on where you're happy to be located and speak slowly in the interview as there will be an Emrati prinicipal present. Hope this is a bit of help. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Pigeletto

Hi all, just came across this thread! I'm also moving to Abu Dhabi in a few weeks with TeachAway to teach with ADEC. I'm moving with my husband and 10 week old baby. Looking forward to it but would really like to know when we're flying! It would be great to stay in touch with people who are also going out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 decohy

Thanks for the info. I may not have my Garda Certificate in time for the interview. Has anyone else been in that situation? The vetting will take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 arisha

Hi I did my interview with ADEC through teachaway a week ago and they sent me an email saying your interview was successful and now your application has been moved to hiring committee....does anyone know what this means?

Hey arisha, did you hear anything back yet? Was it your phone or face to face interview. I'm heading out with teach away too :)

Anybody gotten flight details yet?

• Advertisement

No word yet!!

Teach away emailed last week, the travel agency for ADEC have started emailing out the flight itineraries..... They reckon majority of people will be heading of the week of the 19th.... Eeek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 silverlinings

Im heading out with another agency and I got an email saying i should have my flight details round the 11th and should expect to fly around the 20th-24th of August. Most things are done very last minute over there so don't worry, my last job in the UAE sent me my flight details a day before the flight even though they knew I was coming a couple of months before this!!

With regards phones and things mine worked fine when I got there but some of the girls I was with had problems putting a uae sim into their vodafone phones so just check with your phone company maybe before you go. Also I didn't change any settings on my laptop before I went and it all worked fine over there. Maybe have skype downloaded before you leave if possible because sometimes it can be difficult to download it from there.

Starting to get excited about going now! :)

Thanks so much for that silverlinings ;) got my e-ticket today...... Heading the 20th!! Excited now :) anyone else get their ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LDNMich

Heya, I've just come across this thread and wondered how many others have received their departure date?

I got a job with ADEC through Teachanywhere, will be flying out with husband and two children. It is a rather anxious time waiting to find out when we're leaving, plus all everyone asks is 'when are you leaving?' I'm almost questioning if this is real...:confused

Hey, anyone else get any word yet?

Nothing yet....it's getting a little bit frustrating even though I know that they are a little slow with things I just wish I knew what date I'd be going on!! Presume you haven't heard Lilly0907??

I got my itinerary last week, heading out the 20th for dublin! I hope ye hear soon! Feeling so nervous now!!

Sorry I just assumed that you hadn't heard anything! Ah I'm sure we'll all hear soon, although I was a bit late submitting some details so there could be a delay on my flight...hope not though!! I'm really looking forward to getting back out there!! But nervous at the thought of starting a new job and moving to a new city etc. :O

Oh your grand! You have been out there before? :)

• Advertisement

Oh sorry silverlinings ... just realised it was you who replied to me earlier :P

Yeah I've lived in the UAE for 2 years, I lived north of Dubai so have only visited Abu Dhabi twice!!

Haha your ok!! :P

Oh brilliant :) Any tips on what to wear? I'm going shopping for school clothes tomorrow and i'm not sure what to buy!!!

Well I did my ADEC interview in AD itself as it was the closest interview location and I wore a suit with a long sleeved shirt inside and the interviewers complimented me on my "sensitive dress". I asked them about school clothes and they said that it depends on the school your placed in, some say wear western clothes as long as they are not too tight and cover your shoulders and knees, other schools are stricter and want down to you ankles and wrists covered. Obviously nothing too low or revealing. I mean its hard to know I think you cant go wrong with linen trousers, comfy, professional looking and won't get too hot! I lived in them at work for the last two years. I was allowed to wear a t-shirt or whatever on top so long as it wasn't too low or tight it was fine. I would say err on the side of caution though to begin with and they have pretty much the same shops as us out there bar pennys and dunnes so you'll pick things up as you go along. The principal that interviewed me did say that she sometimes wears an abaya (the black dress) into work and I have heard a few girls do this, might be an option too, throw on leggings and a t-shirt and your abaya over it and off you go, no need to cover your hair though!

Oh thats great thanks girl :) I'll def get some linen trousers and hey have a few jersey maxi skirts in new look and they are loose and light so i might get some of them too!! I just keep looking at shirts and suits and think i'll die in them in the heat!!! The abaya might be the way to go!! I hope we all get to meet over there, I wonder will we be in the same hotel?

Yeah maxi skirts are great, so handly. You'll be surprised like in the malls and stuff you'll see girls wearing next to nothing but I've bumped into kids and families when I've been in the malls and I'm always a bit conscious of what I'm wearing.....I was a member in a resort for a while so we used to go and use the private beach and pools there and I have bumped into families while sunbathing in a bikini...those were moments of oh dear god open the floor and swallow me please! Awkward! Yeah there is no way I'll be wearing a suit!! it will be way too warm! I think they have 2 hotels as far as I know so hopefully most of the irish teachers will be together!

haha oh lord, i'd be the same!! Are you worried about where you might be placed?

I'd be lying if I said no! ha yeah I mean AD is the biggest emirate and I've already lived somewhere kind of remote and wouldn't be happy to do it again, one of my reasons for applying for adec was to live in a bigger city with more social activities. I really would hate to be placed in Al Gharbia or Ruwais but look I'll cross that bridge if I come to it! I suppose it is what you make of it and I met a great bunch in my last school so I was happy to stay there because of them mainly. How about you? Your a primary teacher yeah?

• Advertisement

ya primary school teacher, you are too? I wasnt worried about it but as it comes closer to the time I am starting to feel anxious about it! But like you said, its what you make of it! And I could def cope with it if there was a good group with me! Do you know anyone else going?

Advertisement