Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE....ADEC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mill house

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this thread but have found it very useful and informative - thanks a million..

Just wondering if any of you who are over in the UAE could tell me if you have any say at all in where you will be placed - or even if it would be possible to request to be living/working close to someone that you're traveling over with.

I'm hoping to go with my boyfriend next year and I know it may not be possible to live together but I was hoping we would be living close to one another if we requested it. Anyone know if this would be possible? He is also a teacher so we would both be applying through ADEC I think.

Any info would be great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

sorry guys I just saw these messages on the thread now.....someone asked about driving a car....I've had to rent a car to get to work.....working about 45 mins outside of abu dhabi but people are car pooling or you could be lucky and land in a school in the city so you could just get taxis if you didn't want to drive. the adec interview that I did was fine, very relaxed and they just asked how would I teach english to children who have never spoken it before, how would I deal with parents, other staff members etc. I just spoke about a print rich environment, hands on activities and all the usual stuff and well Im here so must have said something right! it is an early start i must say...Im up at 5.30, start school at 7 and from the minute you go in I find I dont have a minute to myself. the teaching is tough as in I have big class numbers but its manageable. my apartment is gorgeous!! and the fact that they give you money to furnish the place makes it easier to settle in and it feels like home faster! social life here is great.......loads to do and see!! go and do the interview is my advice and keep your options open!

Thank you so much! :) Im doing an interview Sunday week.. hoping to be over in January. :) I worked in Dubai before so I know over very well, it's the same hours in most International schools.. I hated half 5 starts but got used to it.

Also did you get Abu Dhabi yeah? :) Not Al Ain? Do you know if alot of people end up in accommodation in the middle of nowhere?? That's what I've heard. : /

Anyone else going to Dublin for interviews next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irish_chick

Where are the interviews being held sparklyeyes?

Where are the interviews being held sparklyeyes?

Dublin. You needed to send in documents ages ago though and be asked to do so... you can't just walk in. :( My interview is tomorrow morning... should be interesting!!! :) If anyone is going/gone to it let me know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mistyblueriver

How did the interview go?

• Advertisement

How did the interview go?

It must of went well considering I got a job offer! :D Very happy with the contract!! :) I'm off to Abu Dhabi before xmas... going to be weird not to be home for it now but we have to be sorted for the kids coming back in January! Anyone else heading out!? :)

Congratulations, that was really quick. I have a pre-screen interview next week hoping to go out next September. Did they send you the contract straight after the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Delboy 28

It must of went well considering I got a job offer! :D Very happy with the contract!! :) I'm off to Abu Dhabi before xmas... going to be weird not to be home for it now but we have to be sorted for the kids coming back in January! Anyone else heading out!? :)

I'll be heading out before xmas!! Very happy to be on the way and looking forward to the adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eire22

Hey Delboy28 and sparklyEyes111 I am going to Abu Dhabi before xmas aswell I was at the interviews on the 10th aswell!! Are ye all set for going? Really worried about where I'll be placed :( everything attested nd just waiting on my garda clearance which I only applied for Friday so worried it wont be bk on time!!

Hi eire22,
    Great to have 3 of us here heading out... Just wondering did the attestation take long, as I am waiting on an English translation of my degree before I can get moving on that side of it?

• Advertisement

I got it all done in a day Bcoz I'm living in Dublin I'm just waiting on the Irish Arab of Commerce to post them bk to me which should b any day now I think of it's possible it's easier to do it all in a day n get it over n done with!!

That's great! I will Just have to get into Dublin and get moving on it once I get the parchment back!

I am about to begin the process of getting my degrees and teaching council registration attested but I'm a bit confused about what's needed . Is it the actual degree that we received on graduation day? Mine is in Latin and I'm just wondering does it need to be translated and also is a copy all that is required or does it have to be the original?
    Delboy 28 wrote: »
    Hi eire22,
    Great to have 3 of us here heading out... Just wondering did the attestation take long, as I am waiting on an English translation of my degree before I can get moving on that side of it?

My understanding is that it is the parchment we got on the day of graduation, as it has a seal on it. That's what I am waiting on, an English version of this as mine is also in Latin. Again my understanding is that you copy the English original, get it certified, stamped in the dept Of foreign affairs and looked after by the Uae chamber and then we need to scan it and send it back to the recruiter as well as bring them with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cmdrennan1

Hi all,
    I did my interview on the 9th of November but haven't been given a result yet.
    Did anyone else interview on the 9th?
    Congrats to all who got through!

eire22 wrote: »
    Hey Delboy28 and sparklyEyes111 I am going to Abu Dhabi before xmas aswell I was at the interviews on the 10th aswell!! Are ye all set for going? Really worried about where I'll be placed :( everything attested nd just waiting on my garda clearance which I only applied for Friday so worried it wont be bk on time!!

I dont mind where I've been place as long as its not the very west.. though theres only 10% of getting there anyway... would love to get Abu Dhabi! Loads of friends there already..! :) I've been over before so I've gone thtough this process before, feel free to ask any questions if you want :)

I send off my offer letter and that but got no reply back... is that normal? They probably have a good few to get through! Are you all kinda sad to be missing xmas though!? It'll be so odd not to be at home for it! :( If there's a few of us on here going we could organize a meet up in Dublin airport for the 20th/21st... might make things a lot less scary and easier!! :) I'm guessing most will be going from Dublin anyway with the direct flight. :)

Also yep, latin degrees have to be translated I'm afraid.. my friend had to do it last year...!!

cmdrennan1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I did my interview on the 9th of November but haven't been given a result yet.
    Did anyone else interview on the 9th?
    Congrats to all who got through!

Were there interviews on the 9th in Dublin? Saturday, not Sunday then? Mine was on the Sunday. :) Just keep waiting, or email your consultant that you've bern dealing with.. I'd have that done by now. :)

Hey all... sorry for another post but can you help me out. I got my bachelor of education previously attested. However they contacted me today asking if I have my teaching certificate attested and not just my highest degree. Do they want an attested copy of my registration with the teaching council?

Also, if this is the case what are the addresses for the Irish and arab embassys if I need to do this? It has been so long that I forget them..!! :( Didn't think I've have to do more attestation..! :( Didn't need my teaching council registration attested last time but I guess private schools are not concerned with that...!! :/

They want your highest qualification attested, if you've a B.Ed you need that and your teaching council registration attested. I've a B.A. and a H.Dip so I've had those attested. You need to go to the Dept. Of foreign affairs, Hainault House, 69-71 Stephens Green (on the lesson street side, almost at the corner), and then go to the Irish Arab Chamber of Commerce, 60 Merrion Square Square South (you'll be met in the hall by a young lady and all your biz will be done in the hall), least mine was!

I'm definitely up for planning a meetup in the airport on departure day.......

Delboy 28 wrote: »
    They want your highest qualification attested, if you've a B.Ed you need that and your teaching council registration attested. I've a B.A. and a H.Dip so I've had those attested. You need to go to the Dept. Of foreign affairs, Hainault House, 69-71 Stephens Green (on the lesson street side, almost at the corner), and then go to the Irish Arab Chamber of Commerce, 60 Merrion Square Square South (you'll be met in the hall by a young lady and all your biz will be done in the hall), least mine was!

I'm definitely up for planning a meetup in the airport on departure day.......

Ah I see now. I just read the attestation guide we got with the email and that helped too..didn't look at it before because I thought I wouldn't have to! Thank you. :) I'll have to send mine by post I'd say...hopefully it won't take too long! It did the last time though... :(

• Advertisement

I dont mind where I've been place as long as its not the very west.. though theres only 10% of getting there anyway... would love to get Abu Dhabi! Loads of friends there already..! :) I've been over before so I've gone thtough this process before, feel free to ask any questions if you want :)

I send off my offer letter and that but got no reply back... is that normal? They probably have a good few to get through! Are you all kinda sad to be missing xmas though!? It'll be so odd not to be at home for it! :( If there's a few of us on here going we could organize a meet up in Dublin airport for the 20th/21st... might make things a lot less scary and easier!! :) I'm guessing most will be going from Dublin anyway with the direct flight. :)

Also yep, latin degrees have to be translated I'm afraid.. my friend had to do it last year...!!

Ah thanks Im sure in the next few weeks I'll ave loads of questions!!:) Yes I am definetly nervous about being away from home 4 xmas.....dreading it to be fair!! I am def up for meeting up with ppl the 20th/21st terrified :eek: I sent in my attested documents nd now ave to send in testimonial, security form garda vetting etc...

Did anyone get their e-ticket yet?? Or an official date of departure..?? It's getting way too close now for my liking.... :(

No u haven't heard anything waiting for my garda vetting bk which is the way bk in the post so then il ave all paper work done!! I'd say we aren't gonna hear for another 2 weeks!! It will be last minute!! Dreading going b 4 Xmas hopefully we r late leaving!! ðŸ˜႒

No u haven't heard anything waiting for my garda vetting bk which is the way bk in the post so then il ave all paper work done!! I'd say we aren't gonna hear for another 2 weeks!! It will be last minute!! Dreading going b 4 Xmas hopefully we r late leaving!! ðŸ˜႒

It was very last minute for those on August anyway... will just have to wait!! Ah garda vetting does take ages alright... mine is not that old thankfully, had to get it redone to work abroad...! Btw are most people going to be renting or buying a car over? Do you think we can get to work without one..? I stated I don't have a license... tried to get my test done before I leave but there's a huge waiting list for cancellations in my area before xmas.. might have to go home at easter anyway so could do it then, but I'm dreading ending up on the middle of the desert with no way to get to work for awhile. Hope they put people going to same schools together in accommodation blocks, I can pay for carpooling then but they don't always do that I was told. :(

It was very last minute for those on August anyway... will just have to wait!! Ah garda vetting does take ages alright... mine is not that old thankfully, had to get it redone to work abroad...! Btw are most people going to be renting or buying a car over? Do you think we can get to work without one..? I stated I don't have a license... tried to get my test done before I leave but there's a huge waiting list for cancellations in my area before xmas.. might have to go home at easter anyway so could do it then, but I'm dreading ending up on the middle of the desert with no way to get to work for awhile. Hope they put people going to same schools together in accommodation blocks, I can pay for carpooling then but they don't always do that I was told. :(

Ya the waiting is torture!!:( I plan on renting a car but suppose it depends what is the cheapest option!! They will def ave to take that into account for where you are placed and I would say lots of ppl will car pool as well!! Sparkly eyes u were there before weren't u?? do u no is it illegal for a women to drive in a car with a man on her own?? Stupid question I no but people are telling me so many stories at this stage I don't know what to believe!! Also does anyone know what the exit clause in our contracts would be??

Ya the waiting is torture!!:( I plan on renting a car but suppose it depends what is the cheapest option!! They will def ave to take that into account for where you are placed and I would say lots of ppl will car pool as well!! Sparkly eyes u were there before weren't u?? do u no is it illegal for a women to drive in a car with a man on her own?? Stupid question I no but people are telling me so many stories at this stage I don't know what to believe!! Also does anyone know what the exit clause in our contracts would be??

You've to basically pay everything back.. visa costs,probably the whole ikea costs with this contract, flights, holiday pay, no bonus.. its not the best idea. People abscond but of course you'd have no reference with that... and it's very wrong but a know a few with sabis that did it cause they're not there for a reference or that.. ah no don't worry about that honestly, getting a taxi or whatever its fine... :) If its a local guy, then I'd sit in the back if its a car or vice vearsa. You'd never sit in the front of any taxi anyway, always the back.Don't be worried honestly, especially if you get Abu Dhabi, it's very westernized :)

Ya the waiting is torture!!:( I plan on renting a car but suppose it depends what is the cheapest option!! They will def ave to take that into account for where you are placed and I would say lots of ppl will car pool as well!

Hopefully! I'll hopefully have my own car for April nehu! :) It would be nearly cheaper to get a taxi each day if in Abu D city anyway than rent... it was for me in Dubai. :)

You've to basically pay everything back.. visa costs,probably the whole ikea costs with this contract, flights, holiday pay, no bonus.. its not the best idea. People abscond but of course you'd have no reference with that... and it's very wrong but a know a few with sabis that did it cause they're not there for a reference or that.. ah no don't worry about that honestly, getting a taxi or whatever its fine... :) If its a local guy, then I'd sit in the back if its a car or vice vearsa. You'd never sit in the front of any taxi anyway, always the back.Don't be worried honestly, especially if you get Abu Dhabi, it's very westernized :)

Ah ya just was wondering coz want to no where I stand b4 I leave starting to get more nervous as time gets closer!! Ah rite no it's just if I rented a car n my bf came over to visit I'd b afraid of him being in d car he was thinking about booking 10days in den to come over but even worried about that so he is going 2 wait! Praying I get the city so I don't ave to stress so much!! I'd like to have my own car anyway I'm used to driving at home n iv a friend in Dubai n I'd lik to b able to go der some weekends!! Didn't find it expensive to live over der?? Any tips on what to pack??

Ah ya just was wondering coz want to no where I stand b4 I leave starting to get more nervous as time gets closer!! Ah rite no it's just if I rented a car n my bf came over to visit I'd b afraid of him being in d car he was thinking about booking 10days in den to come over but even worried about that so he is going 2 wait! Praying I get the city so I don't ave to stress so much!!

Ah don't worry about that!! :) A few of my friends had bfs over, they could go anywhere together alone with no probs. I've even seen tourist couples holding hands and everything in Dubai mall once or twice.. I wouldn't dare do it, but they were getting away with it..! That's how lax they've gotten in places about things :) Some things are more similiar to home than you'd ever think, you'll see that when you get over! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 kit_beag

Hi. My name is Christy, I interviewed in October and am currently awaiting a date also... Or is this all a dream ?!!

Advertisement