Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hozelock " stop"

• 19-03-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a water butt with a broken tap. Removed tap....
    I fitted a tap hozelock connection to it with putty
    (For leaks) and its perfect now, instead of the tap.( same as you would fit to your standard outdoor tap )

However now when the butt fills the water pours out through
    The hazelock tap connector as you would expect....but....

I have a hazelock "stop" connector , it has stop imprinted on it so I
    Presumed when I fitted this to the tap connector that I now fitted to the
    Butt the water flow would stop! It doesn't the water just pours out through the stop connector!
    Any ideas!!?? I just want to stop the water flow from the butt until I need it...

Thks

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Hi
    I have a water butt with a broken tap. Removed tap....
    I fitted a tap hozelock connection to it with putty
    (For leaks) and its perfect now, instead of the tap.( same as you would fit to your standard outdoor tap )

So you fitted one of these?

hozelock-2175-tap-connector-pp.jpg
    I have a hazelock "stop" connector , it has stop imprinted on it so I
    Presumed when I fitted this to the tap connector that I now fitted to the
    Butt the water flow would stop! It doesn't the water just pours out through the stop connector!
    Any ideas!!?? I just want to stop the water flow from the butt until I need it...

Thks

So you mean something like one of these?

40725HBO111111X.jpg

0226446_l.jpg

Well if this is the case then you're going to have to rethink it a little. Those "stops" work in a particular way. They do not stop when connected to something, that is the point - you put one of these on the end of the hose. They stop the water but allow it to flow again once something has been connected such as a sprayer. They do not stop water from flowing from the tap when plugged straight into the tap, they're supposed to be at the end of the hose so that you don't have to run back to turn the tap off just to change the attachment on the end.

Something like this is supposed to be attached to it:

hozelock-2688-multi-spray-gun-pro-pp.jpg

That little silver connection on the bottom is what opens the stop and allows water to flow, it is why if you used the tap connection in the first picture it wouldn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

If you have done the above, then to fix it you could either put on a proper water butt tap.
    Or alternatively you could keep the adaptation on it and get a very short length of hosepipe, fit a normal connection end onto the part that connects to the water butt and the stop end onto the end of the hose pipe. To get water out you'd either have to take off the stop end or connect a spray attachment.

Like this hozelock kit pictured, but adapted a bit:

Hose connector into the tap connector
    Stop end on the end of the hose instead of that other stuff - only the yellow part is necessary. This picture shows a self-water irrigation kit that they do. Essentially you just need a short length of hose and the attachments though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

If you have done the above, then to fix it you could either put on a proper water butt tap.
    Or alternatively you could keep the adaptation on it and get a very short length of hosepipe, fit a normal connection end onto the part that connects to the water butt and the stop end onto the end of the hose pipe. To get water out you'd either have to take off the stop end or connect a spray attachment.

Like this hozelock kit pictured, but adapted a bit:

Hose connector into the tap connector
    Stop end on the end of the hose instead of that other stuff - only the yellow part is necessary. This picture shows a self-water irrigation kit that they do. Essentially you just need a short length of hose and the attachments though.

Thks a lot😠I actually got metal hardening putty ! Put it into the stop fitting. It's now rock hard ... I fitted it to my new tap connector that I fitted on the butt! It's perfect .. Click it. Out water click it back on water stops!!
    It's interesting now as I wonder will my pressure washer work from the butt now that I can connect garden hose to it! Must try it later .... If I use the ordinary tap and connect power washer to it , you reckon if I fit the stop hoselock at the tap(?) it turns water off when I stop using the pressure washer!? Or should I put the stop connector on end of hose that goes directly into the lower washer? Never knew what they were for!! Thks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Picture of butt!!

Advertisement