Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 California - Santa Barbara?

Options
  • 19-03-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

There are group of six of us heading to California for the summer and were considering staying in Santa Barbara. Anyone been on a J1 there before or have any information on accommodation/jobs?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

My wife is Santa Barbara born and reared so I'm pretty familiar with the place.

First of all, J1 students have a pretty lousy reputation in Santa Barbara. This is pretty much all down to a handful of students completely trashing (they really went to town on them)some apartments in Isla Vista a few years ago.

Not trying to put you off the place but it is something to keep in mind. Especially when it comes to renting.

A lot of students stay out in IV as it's cheap and near UCSB. You can get a bus into the city but if you can get access to a car that's the way to go.

Santa Barbara is a small city, about the size of Cork but you should be able to pick up waitressing work in any of the bars or restaurants. The Irish bars are a good place to start, Dargans would be the first place I'd look, then maybe the James Joyce.

It is a fantastic little city but if you're looking for a full on party style place then you'll be disappointed (locals say the city is for "newly weds and nearly deads"). It does have a few late bars and a couple of clubs.

There is a proper frat style vibe that goes on out in Isla Vista but alas I'm too old to get into the frat houses (I have tried though!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Previous poster is correct. Irish students are unwanted in SB since an incident about 5 years ago. Right or wrong, Irish J1s have a reputation as drunken troublemakers in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 susan92

Yea I've read some articles about the damage that Irish J1ers did over the past few years. Picked up a few names of places to stay clear of if you want to stay out of trouble!

We were hoping once we get out there and start looking at places it wouldn't be as bad! We're not looking to go crazy, just enjoy the sun, have a bit of fun and hopefully pick up some jobs!

Thanks for your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

mitosis wrote: »
    Previous poster is correct. Irish students are unwanted in SB since an incident about 5 years ago. Right or wrong, Irish J1s have a reputation as drunken troublemakers in the town.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say unwanted but the J1 crowd certainly have to mend a lot of fences in terms of the reputation of Irish students in SB.

That being said, the locals were fantastic to the Irish (about 40 odd people) who were out for my wedding there a few years ago, they went out of their way to make all my friends and family feel welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coom498

Hey theres 6 of us heading out to SB too. Were hoping to have accommodation sorted before we head out. Add me on facebook or mail me and we could help each other out over there. :)https://www.facebook.com/donal.creedon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 seb992

Were 7 lads heading over if yous are still looking to share a large gaff or something wed be up for it! My FB is https://www.facebook.com/seb.mcklong?ref=tn_tnmn might make contacting a bit easier!

Advertisement