Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hrm advice

Options
  • 19-03-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭

howdy folks, just lookin for some advice re heart rate monitors. im looking for a decent, reasonably priced hrm that i can use for running and cycling. there seems to be so many makes/models to choose from, and never having used one before im looking for suggetions/ recomendations for particular ones. also what should i look out for when buying one? is a chest strap an essential item when using a hrm?

this caught my eye, just wondering is it any good?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...TE+MONITOR.htm

cheers
    pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Pete, that link is not working for me.

You can pick up a basic HRM which will just monitor your HR during a session allowing you to see what zones you are working in.

All depending on what you want you can go up the line to GPS based watches which will record all your speed and distance information as well as HR data across all your activities.

It really depends on what you are happy investing in right now. Simple units will cost up to €50 / €60 with GPS roughly from €200 upwards.

You can pick up older Garmin models 110 / 305 for €120-150ish but they are discontinued and will likely be reconditioned units, not bad to start with but will need replacing in a season or two probably.

HR straps do need to be chest mounted but there are developments on non strap methods but not in general release yet AFAIK.

Advertisement