Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coincidence or....?

Options
  • 19-03-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi just looking for some advice here as to whether I may need to get an electrician in.
    We have had a few electrical devices fail in our flat recently and I'm wondering if there is something causing it or is it just coincidence.
    The first issue is the immersion heater started tripping the breaker. We are in a very hard water area so I wouldn't be surprised if it is wrecked by that. For the time being just haven't bothered using it, have an electric shower which is working fine.
    In the bedroom we have had 3 lamps die in the past few months (and no it wasn't the bulb or fuse!) plus an iPod dock which only lasted a couple of days before its plug/transformer went bang and tripped the breaker for bedroom sockets. The toaster died last week and again it wasn't the fuse, but we have had it for a while. The latest problem is the sky box is on the blink, although it still powers up but gets no signal, probably not an electrical problem.

As you can see there's not really anything definite, it's just these things have happened in a small flat in the past 2 months or so. Living here nearly 3 years and had no real problems before.
    One thing that comes to mind while I'm writing this is that I often get a small shock from the washer/drier, I always assumed it was static but could it be a sign of a bad earth or something?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Without inspecting this installation below are my educated guesses:
    marketty wrote: »
    The first issue is the immersion heater started tripping the breaker. We are in a very hard water area so I wouldn't be surprised if it is wrecked by that.
    Immersions are like bulbs, sometimes they fail. Replace.
    In the bedroom we have had 3 lamps die in the past few months
    Poor quality/damaged lamps or they were all installed at about at the same time, on for the same amount of time so expire at about the same time.
    iPod dock which only lasted a couple of days before its plug/transformer went bang and tripped the breaker for bedroom sockets.
    This device is nothing to do with the wiring installation.
    The toaster died last week and again it wasn't the fuse, but we have had it for a while.
    This device is nothing to do with the wiring installation
    the sky box is on the blink
    This device is nothing to do with the wiring installation
    One thing that comes to mind while I'm writing this is that I often get a small shock from the washer/drier, I always assumed it was static but could it be a sign of a bad earth or something?
    This requires investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Thanks for the swift reply, pretty much confirms what I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I think it would be worthwhile getting an electrician out to check the installation
    I'm sure he will check your voltage and your earthing arrangement

Advertisement