Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling above sockets

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »
    3M command strips are pretty good and holding heavythings onto walls.

No drilling required.

On a painted wall you are relying on the paint really. Good on tiles etc probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

2011 wrote: »
    Electricians generally install switches where they are told to.
    If they are not told they put them where they think best.

Further restrictions on where cables can be run would also be very unpopular with customers. Some are still upset because they can't have a 13A socket beside their bath.
    With regulation, an electrician can simply say thats against regulations.
    2011 wrote: »

To be honest 2 stroke I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
    For me this is a very serious issue. Several times a week, I drill near buried services. I always get these jobs passed to me as the most experienced employee. I've struck live power 3 times in the last 20 years. On each occasion there was no indication of buried cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Bruthal wrote: »
    Very simple to tap out as bit of the surface plaster and check it out. This whole thing is being made out to be a major ordeal.

So the client has spent €€€s having the place professionally decorated, and then is going to let someone knock lumps out of the wall looking for somewhere to drill a small screw.

2 stroke wrote: »
    So the client has spent €€€s having the place professionally decorated, and then is going to let someone knock lumps out of the wall looking for somewhere to drill a small screw.

No, anyone that knows what they are at can scrape out a small hole exactly where the screw is going, if it is above a socket. Not randomly kango out chunks.

2 stroke wrote: »
    With regulation, an electrician can simply say thats against regulations.

For me this is a very serious issue. Several times a week, I drill near buried services. I always get these jobs passed to me as the most experienced employee. I've struck live power 3 times in the last 20 years. On each occasion there was no indication of buried cables.

3 times in 20 years? Do you see that as a major hazard?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think that this thread has run it's course.
    Same ground being covered again and again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement