Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC... consumer rights issue?

Options
  • 19-03-2013 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

SO here's the story.

I had UPC put in a new (faster router). I showed the installer where I wanted it, and he put it there. When he left we noticed that the kick board was not replaced properly, and the fridge was left unplugged (in a built in kitchen). We then contacted UPC asking for the installer to return and plug the fridge back in so we didn't lose the food, and their best resolution was to get them to contact us the next day.

As a result, we had to take the kitchen apart to plug back in the fridge etc., and we are still being charged in full for the installation without as much as an apology. As far as I am aware; this may be against sales of goods and supply of services act as diligence was not displayed, and he damaged the kitchen.

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

How did he unplug the fridge without taking the kitchen apart and why couldn't you just plug it back in. I'm not great at DIY but how hard would it be to put the kickboard back yourself? It clicks in. You seemed to have been able to take a kitchen apart by yourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, the UPC installer obviously didn't take your kitchen apart to install the unit, and he obviously didn't put it all together again after installing the unit, as neither would fall under his job description. Also, I can't see how he damaged your kitchen, unless there's something you're not telling us?

My advice is, next time you put your kitchen back together, make sure your appliances are plugged in first.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Both extremely minor issues and my understand of the sales of goods act is they would in no way be covered by it.

Putting back a kickboard is a 20sec job and anybody can do it, it requires no extra tools or experience other then lining up the parks that click on the the stands underneath the presses. Plugging back in a bridge....well seriously?

Claiming either is damaged its utter nonsense, both can be resolved and your foot in the fridge would be perfectly safe if you just plugged back in the fridge yourself,

OP, will all due respect this is why sky, eircom and UPC installers often say they won't install services into any other location then a pre-determinant default location where the service enters the premises...they don't want to listen to people winging about stuff later.

Imho UPC in this case should have told you they'd only install the router at the point UPC services enter your premises, what you do after that is your own business. In my view the installer was doing you a favor doing anything extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Why would the installer have to unplug the fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alcof89

In most cases, yes it would have been, but he wanted to run the cable behind both fridges. We said where we wanted it, he said how he would do it. And as our kickboard was put in before the tiles, it gets stuck between the fridge / freezer hidges and the tile. With regards to the kickboards - he took lumps out of it whilst managing to crack one of them...

I just dont think that we should have been expected to fix all of it because of his mistake...

• Advertisement
Advertisement