Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring first bike

Options
  • 19-03-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Had a look at a Bandit on Sat so registered some interest with the few insurance companies. Was recommended Adelaide and expected them to get back to me on Monday as they're based in the UK. Surely enough they did.

First question: What age am I? 25
    Second question: How many years NCB? It's my first bike.
    Immediate no!

Didn't even query the bike? Could have been a moped! He said that they don't insure new bikers under the age of 30.

Anybody experience this? I won't go down the ageism route haha

Now to call around the Irish ones tomorrow, had no time today. I expect Liberty to play ball but not fond of their online quotation :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Try liberty for 1st time insurance then when you have a years no claims move elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

M450 wrote: »
    Hey,

Had a look at a Bandit on Sat so registered some interest with the few insurance companies. Was recommended Adelaide and expected them to get back to me on Monday as they're based in the UK. Surely enough they did.

First question: What age am I? 25
    Second question: How many years NCB? It's my first bike.
    Immediate no!

Didn't even query the bike? Could have been a moped! He said that they don't insure new bikers under the age of 30.

Anybody experience this? I won't go down the ageism route haha

Now to call around the Irish ones tomorrow, had no time today. I expect Liberty to play ball but not fond of their online quotation :(

Have you tried AON? You can do an assessment with a riding instructor & get a big discount. I got insurance on an r1 with 0 years no claims. I also got a discount for having my car insurance with AXA

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sean61 wrote: »
    Have you tried AON? You can do an assessment with a riding instructor & get a big discount. I got insurance on an r1 with 0 years no claims. I also got a discount for having my car insurance with AXA

Did you have to do the assesment first before insurance, i'm being hoofed down that road (level 2), not an r1 but wouldn't be very far behind it...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

sean61 wrote: »

I assumed you'd need to get insured first, then consider doing the assessments to get the discounts? All I've done is the IBT.

Will call AON, Liberty and Carole Nash tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

I assumed you'd need to get insured first, then consider doing the assessments to get the discounts? All I've done is the IBT.

Will call AON, Liberty and Carole Nash tomorrow anyway.

No I done the assessment straight after the IBT. I had a great instructor though that thought me a lot in a short amount of time!

• Advertisement

So Aon - Put the Bandit 650 in class 10 out of 12 in terms of risk?? They're looking for a grade 2 skills assessment for 1465 TPO
    Carole Nash - 1580 TPO or 1490 TPFT weird!
    Liberty - 992 TPO seems like the only option so

Was hoping to get a bit cheaper than that... I must be doing something wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Jaysus!

They're a bit steep, I thought the newer Bandit 650 was in a lower Insurance group than the old 600cc?

Is it restricted or are you on an unrestricted A licence?!
    Does the Aon assessment carry any weight with the other insurance companies?!

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Jaysus!

They're a bit steep, I thought the newer Bandit 650 was in a lower Insurance group than the old 600cc?

Is it restricted or are you on an unrestricted A licence?!
    Does the Aon assessment carry any weight with the other insurance companies?!

Carole Nash don't recognise any assessments. Liberty didn't mention it.

The bike is not restricted, and Liberty said it won't make any difference if I get it restricted (must be factory restricted)

Yes I have the unrestricted A LP.

There must be some other detail that's driving up the price. I hate the way they don't say what it is! Perhaps city centre address, couldn't be profession...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I'm in a slightly better scenario, I'm 34 and have a full licence.

While shopping for quotes I found a NCB makes a massive difference, about 25% for a 1 year in the quotes I got. You'd also hear lots of anecdotal evidence from lads keeping bikes insured while off the road to protect NCB.

Liberty definitely do a bike assessment, it's the same as the old Quinn one

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Terry Cronin helped me with this, taught me everything I know about riding bikes safely.

No quote from Liberty? That's odd. I got a quote off them at 26, been with them a while now. Carole Nash are deeer (dear oh deary me dear). Bikes are odd at times. You'll find that the community around town is quite small and it helps to be social. The first quote you get will be crazy prices, but it drops chunks year on year. I now pay about €365 yearly. 2 weeks dole covers that pretty much. And it's plain fact that we know what group our respective bikes are in, but the insurers themselves keep this card close to their chests. It'd be a lot easier if things were more open and uniform. Carole Nash rate my CBF250 at a group 4 or 5, but liberty see it as a group 2 or 3. Fairly tame tbh, great learning bike, bit tricky getting parts for though. Annual service comes in at about €100, €150 if it needs anything done.

+10 for the bike assessment though. Do this before you put a hand to a phone. Your trainer and the lessons will save your life one day in some shape form or fashion. I got out with only a broken ankle, but that's another story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

So Aon - Put the Bandit 650 in class 10 out of 12 in terms of risk?? They're looking for a grade 2 skills assessment for 1465 TPO

Could be the bike as well. Play around with the Liberty website for a while putting in all sorts of bikes in and around 600cc and see what values it throws out.

I'm in my first year with Liberty also similar situation to you and paying 800 but that included a 10% multi policy discount on a 600 yamaha diversion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You would get a trade/multi car car policy cheaper than those quotes..and you can also have 1 motorbike covered fully comp on the policy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Carol Nash haven't been the same since she sold the company to Groupama.
    Their prices have been going up and while the policies are pretty good with recovery and legal aid they are expensive.
    They quoted me more than 100 more than Adelaide.
    I am grateful to them for opening the Irish market up again after NU left but not at any price.

So played around with Liberty's online calculator and found out the issue... location location location
    So I'm currently renting in the City Centre and the quote they gave me was 990.

Changed location to Leixlip, quote dropped to 650 TPO which sounds very reasonable for a first timer.

Tried a 250 Hornet and still 950 so the bike didn't make much difference, no change for restrictor kit either.

A Level 2 assessment brought it down to 700 (or 450 for Leixlip!) so seems well worth trying to achieve this. I guess you could do it after a couple of months and get the discount on the remainder of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

So played around with Liberty's online calculator and found out the issue... location location location
    So I'm currently renting in the City Centre and the quote they gave me was 990.

Changed location to Leixlip, quote dropped to 650 TPO which sounds very reasonable for a first timer.

Tried a 250 Hornet and still 950 so the bike didn't make much difference, no change for restrictor kit either.

A Level 2 assessment brought it down to 700 (or 450 for Leixlip!) so seems well worth trying to achieve this. I guess you could do it after a couple of months and get the discount on the remainder of the year?

Leixlip is a great place to live!

I presume it's more likely to be stolen in the city centre, particularly in apartment complexes and the like.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

infacteh wrote: »
    Leixlip is a great place to live!

I presume it's more likely to be stolen in the city centre, particularly in apartment complexes and the like.....

Insurance is higher for cars in the city centre also. So it may have to do with a higher accident rate as well?

When I was moving last I took this into consideration in picking where to move. Double digit area codes were lower (the ones I checked anyway) and county Dublin is probably lower still.

Advertisement