Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuous use of laptop

Options
  • 20-03-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I've been working exclusively on a laptop for the past two month (8 hours a day). Does anyone know of guidelines about the continuous use of laptops? Everyone else in the office has a desktop and what was meant to be a temporary measure has become (literally) a major pain in the neck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

You might find this useful.

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Workplace_Health/Display_Screen_Equipment

Basically there is no reason why you must have a desktop instead of a laptop, however, if using a laptop continuously is causing you pain and discomfort then it needs to be reassessed. Also your general workstation needs to be assessed bearing in mind that your computer is a laptop, so the keyboard position etc needs to be assessed. The pain in your neck might be more to do with position of your chair rather than the computer. But in particular I know if used a laptop that much rather than a desktop I would have very sore wrists.

Perhaps suggest a decent docking station or get a seperate keyboard rather than using the laptop one.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Seperate mouse and Keyboard for a start is the most important!

Are u hunching down, if so get some monitor blocks to raise the screen up so your eyes are in the top 1/3

No monitor blocks then raid the stationary press and use a few packs of A$ paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I wouldnt like to be on the laptop all the time. A real pain from an ergonomics point of view. I would say the following are necessary:
    • Docking station
    • Keyboard and mouse
    • External monitor

Some would consider the monitor not necessary but I think it definitely is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Don't need a docking station. Plug the monitor directly into the laptop, a mouse too. Use both screens together. Best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Don't need a docking station. Plug the monitor directly into the laptop, a mouse too. Use both screens together. Best of both worlds.

Yeah but docking station is handier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

chris85 wrote: »
    Yeah but docking station is handier.

and neater on the desk - and you need to take into account the whole workstation when doing an assessment, so in that regard a docking station is a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dublin13

have you asked the people you work for the situation on it, maybe they think its ok and you dont mind?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd request an external monitor, and a external keyboard and mouse. Mouse pad with gel rest and a rest for the keyboard. I also got one of these

A cheap usb hub might be useful too.

Advertisement