Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mobility/squat help

• 20-03-2013 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

hey guys,

i was reading another topic on mobility which i need help with and i came across the mobilityWOD.com website.

I'm having a problem and can't find any solution -one of the movements is getting down into a full A2G squat and hold for 10 minutes.. After about 1 - 2 minutes, i get a burning pain on the outside of my right knee on the back of my leg.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Go to a physio. They can check your form and mobility

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I disagree with this. I've been to a lot of physios and a lot of them don't even squat. I would see an athletic trainer (like a physio but trained in sports specific injuries from day one) or get a coach for the squat. I also recommend getting a roller and using it daily. Also its very difficult to do that 10 minute squat test. You have to have a lot of mobility for that. To sit comfortably in ATG position for long periods is difficult for the vast majority of westerners. I would see it as a goal or a test rather than something that will improve your mobility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Big_G wrote: »
    I disagree with this. I've been to a lot of physios and a lot of them don't even squat. I would see an athletic trainer (like a physio but trained in sports specific injuries from day one) or get a coach for the squat. I also recommend getting a roller and using it daily. Also its very difficult to do that 10 minute squat test. You have to have a lot of mobility for that. To sit comfortably in ATG position for long periods is difficult for the vast majority of westerners. I would see it as a goal or a test rather than something that will improve your mobility.

I really should stop reading boards on my mobile phone. I didn't see the 10 min part. All i saw was I do a ATG squat and get pain on outside of knee. I'd still recommend a sports physio. I used the guys in Sports Med Ireland who are also strength and conditioning coaches. Identified my mobility issues very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I've used Mark McCabe in Sports Med Ireland.
    He's excellent.

I've dont that ATG 10 min MWOD.
    Very tough towards the end but a good opener.

I don't think it's something someone with squatting issues would be able to do straight away.

If you got 2 mins the last time, try for 2:10 next time & build it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I've used Mark McCabe in Sports Med Ireland.
    He's excellent.

I've dont that ATG 10 min MWOD.
    Very tough towards the end but a good opener.

I don't think it's something someone with squatting issues would be able to do straight away.

If you got 2 mins the last time, try for 2:10 next time & build it up.

I think he says in the video to do 10 mins spread out through the course of a day. I think he actually says "accumulate 10 mins of ass to grass". I did this by squatting as low as I could until It got painful, using a sofa or step to hold, then built up the time.

OP read a few more of the blogs he has, in the second one he does some calf exercises and tells you go back to the first video and do 4 minutes.
    By the 4th or 5th vid the routine starts to look more like this: 2 mins of the first vid, 2 mins of today's vid, 2 mins of "what ever your problem area is that you should be working on but probably arent" (he has a great turn of phrase).

In the later videos he also address some of the problems you might run into.
    Its a good idea to watch a good 6/7 of the videos before starting to follow his instructions. and always go as far as you can without excessive pain but learn to accept that there are going to be some painful moments. the trick is to learn to differentiate good pain and bad pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As above its 10 mins accumulated time. When I did it a couple of years ago I did it by 5mins in my warm up and 5 mins later that night, was shaking at the in mark. If it hurts after 2 mins, then do it over 5 x 2 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

i managed to get around 5 mins in one go earlier. went to my local sports physio and said its a prob with my popelitius - its a small muscle that runs across the back of the knee connecting the calf to the quad. i just have to foam roll it out like a motherfu*ker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

i managed to get around 5 mins in one go earlier. went to my local sports physio and said its a prob with my popelitius - its a small muscle that runs across the back of the knee connecting the calf to the quad. i just have to foam roll it out like a motherfu*ker.

Popliteus? Hockey ball will be far more effective in the fossa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Burkatron wrote: »
    Popliteus? Hockey ball will be far more effective in the fossa!

on this subject. part way through the mobilitywod blog he mentions some equipment youll need. 3 lacrosse balls, 2 being tapped together. I was going to use a hocky ball/tennis ball. but are lacrosse balls available over here? are they the same size, density as hurling balls cos aldi are selling hurling balls cheap near me. would they be suitable, do they have the same size and amount of give in them (or lack of give)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

on this subject. part way through the mobilitywod blog he mentions some equipment youll need. 3 lacrosse balls, 2 being tapped together. I was going to use a hocky ball/tennis ball. but are lacrosse balls available over here? are they the same size, density as hurling balls cos aldi are selling hurling balls cheap near me. would they be suitable, do they have the same size and amount of give in them (or lack of give)?

AFAIK you have to order LAX balls from the states! I use hockey balls, instead of taping them I just put 2 in a sock! I think the thread's on a sliothar could make it very uncomfortable, I've never tried for that reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I use a cricket ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I use a softball, like a large baseball, ironically not remotey soft.

Also, I did a squat hold test at the weekend, prob spent about 12 mins in the hole. Was fine, i found leaning adjusting my weight about help press the stretch further.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

Burkatron wrote: »
    AFAIK you have to order LAX balls from the states! I use hockey balls, instead of taping them I just put 2 in a sock! I think the thread's on a sliothar could make it very uncomfortable, I've never tried for that reason!

how much are hockey balls and where could you buy them? i remember you could get them in JJB but they're gone now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Some sliotars (hurling balls) have a rubber inside which is perfect for a rolling around on but others have a cork inside. Dont think theres anyway to tell which is which without cutting them open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

cc87 wrote: »
    Some sliotars (hurling balls) have a rubber inside which is perfect for a rolling around on but others have a cork inside. Dont think theres anyway to tell which is which without cutting them open

Dan johns recommended sliotars after seeing them on a trip to Ireland. The seams can work for or against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

hey guys,

i was reading another topic on mobility which i need help with and i came across the mobilityWOD.com website.

I'm having a problem and can't find any solution -one of the movements is getting down into a full A2G squat and hold for 10 minutes.. After about 1 - 2 minutes, i get a burning pain on the outside of my right knee on the back of my leg.

I get the same pain after about the same amount of time. As soon as I stand up the pain subsides so I think it is just fatigue and nothing to worry about.

Advertisement