Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just invented a new method for straightening old warped scales

• 20-03-2013 7:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

So I just stopped skipping around my kitchen, patting myself on the back and saying "motherf*cking genius motherf*cker!!'.

Usual method of straightening warped scales is pin to a board and lash in boiling water.

Now, because I am also a food geek as well as a razor geek. I have a sous vide water oven (precisely controlled temp water oven) and a vacuum sealer. I also have a very flat glass paperweight.

Ta-Da!

jRxnH4gl.jpg

Perfectly flat, perfectly dry. Throw in water oven at 75.5 C and almost perfect results (we got some lines from the bag on the top surface, one to avoid in future) and pretty flat scales.

Will post pics once I throw a razor between these lovely antique faux tortoiseshell scales.

Probably this H G Long wedge I just finished.

0CGXBG2l.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Can't say I've ever heard of a sous vide being used for scale straightening. Nicely done.

What made you choose 75.5 C as the temperature to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Random temp in the final 4th quartile of boiling. :D
    Seemed as good a place as any.

So it was just as random as it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Maybe if you could get the line all over it would look nice...

Just an update on this.

I just noticed the scales bowed back to their original position. :mad:

I might have to try letting them cool in the bag and storing them under vacuum for a couple of days to 'set' the bend.

• Advertisement

Maybe try 75.6 C next time....

I think storing them under vacuum is probably the best way to go. Well that or clamp them in a vice to set.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Maybe try 75.6 C next time....

Love it. Might go overboard and risk 75.7 C.

Advertisement