Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract oddity

Options
  • 20-03-2013 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in this rather odd position at work and I'd love to know what people think - I can't tell anymore if I'm right to be worried or a total whinger... I'll try and be succinct.

1. I started working for an organisation about 4.5 years ago. At the time, I was hired as a general, casual worker, no contract.

2. Quite quickly, the role I had grew substantially. As a casual worker in a horrible job market, I was happy to be useful as I figured I would be kept on. I worked part-time hours - usually around 25 -30 per week, but sometimes 35+.

3. Last year, I was given a contract. This was not because of any recognition of my work, or the fact that I'd been there for 3.5 years (at that point) but because administrative problems made it more convenient for the company to do this.

4. I love the company I work for and (most) of the people there, needed the job and I really didn't want to cause trouble. The pay is not great, but there's worse out there. The contract I got reduced my hours somewhat, and I can still be dismissed with 1 week's notice.

5. The contract I was given does not describe the job I do. Basically, it outlines another job that does exist within the organisation. I provide very occasional cover in that role. The reason for the discrepancy is one of political expediency within the company. I don't want to explain any more on that - its complex...but the difference between what I do on paper and what I actually do is very substantial and it makes me very uneasy.

6. I have never, to this day, had any proper conversation with a superior about what my job is or what's expected of me. It was just expected that I would get on with it. I've pointed out that I needed more guidance on this in the past. Despite this, I have had to take on some duties that would usually be considered part of a more senior role - eg. I am responsible for some hiring (and firing on one occasion) of new, more junior staff. A while ago a new organisation chart was issued - I'm not on it.

7. My problem is that this contract is due for renewal, and I'm very uncomfortable about things as they stand. When this was put together, it was done so very hurriedly, I didn't really have time to think about it and the whole thing was a major rush job - no alternative was offered. The nearest person I have to a line manager is about to leave. And there is also a (very sensitive, HR related) problem brewing with another member of staff - which, despite my ambiguous situation, I will apparently have to sort out.

I don't want to leave the job - that's just not an option for me. I just want to have a proper contract that describes what I do and sets out the parameters of the role. I don't think that they want me to leave either, but I think I'll have no other option if I bring this up.

So - what to you think? Am I just whinging and need to suck it up, or am I right to be uncomfortable / worried about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

You seem very aware of your organisation,will into take on extra responsibility, even do some difficult personnel tasks and flexible in your approach to work, that is good, a sign of someone pro-actively going places in the long term.

So I think that you should take an active approach to this issue and use the upcoming contract renewal to spark a discussion with your boss.

Be Prepared:

(1) Prepare a description of your significant day to day tasks.
    Show your current value to the company.
    (2) Compare this to your original role or the contracted role to show the differences.
    Your development to date, the extra responsibilities that you have earned.
    (3) Looking forward, decide what role you would like to have and determine the gaps.
    These are your opportunities for development.

Arrange a Development Meeting with your boss, at the meeting discuss the items outlined above, showing how you make his life easier, by taking on extra tasks and responsibility and doing them well.
    • Ask him if there are areas of your job that he would like you to focus on?
    • And then bring up the areas that you would like to focus some of your time on to develop the role or your capabilities further.
    • This would also be a good time to ask if there are any training or mentoring opportunities available in the areas that you are interested in.

You should be able to tell from the tone and discussion if it is an appropriate time to raise the issue of changing your contract. If your boss seems well disposed to updating your contract I would leave any discussion of money to a second meeting,or until that contract renewal.

One step at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Heya, thanks so much for your reply and also to anyone else that has read - it was a hell of a long post by me...so much for being succinct..!

Hard to get a bit of clarity when you're in the situation. One of the things that worries me is how open my work are leaving themselves to trouble by vesting responsibility in someone who they have not sanctioned to be in that position - also leaves me wondering where the freaking hell I stand in the job. And to be honest, some of my colleagues are starting to wonder too, and not in a good way...Great suggestions - defo best for me to work on a strategy for discussion than seething away and that's a big help.

Thanks a mill, will take that all on board.

Advertisement