Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief

Options
  • 20-03-2013 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

This is a tricky one I'm sure.

I'm a self employed IT contractor but I operate under an umbrella company so I'm not the company director but the employee.

Even so I do pay Employers and Employees PRSI etc...

I rent a house but work outside of it.
    What rent relief if any am I entitled to?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You'll have to clarify your situation a little better.
    Aka- are you or the company renting the house?
    If the company is renting the property- its probably a tax deductable expense for the company- however a taxable benefit in kind, for you as an employee. The tax on the property as a BIK, is higher than the tax the company would have had to pay in the first instance, so you'd be down NET.

Rent-relief- is minimal, its about 200 Euro per year for a single person, or 400 Euro for a couple, and once again- depending on how you've structured this, you may not be entitled to it.

Rent relief is being phased out altogether- and is due to be fully gone by 2017 (we reduced it further to the 200 Euro level in the 2013 budget).

It all depends on how you've structured things- but its not a massive relief- the 200 for a single person, 400 for a couple, are max levels, irrespective of how much rent you actually pay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ps- rent relief is only available to 2017- if you started renting before 2010.........
    You might like to clarify this one elsewhere.

Advertisement