Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West Newbie

Options
  • 20-03-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

So, the brother in-law has talked me into doing Gaelforce west. I was like, 'Ya, no problem'. So I've done a bit of cycling and I play football 3 times a week so I was smug enough in thinking, this will be no problem, and then I checked the event online........ Lord!

So I'm going to rtry and get to a level on both foot and bike that I don't make an absolute fool of myself and don't, hopefully, die!!

Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

theres definitely a few other threads here asking the same thing, from this year as well, if you search gaelforce im sure youl find them, and the gaelforce event threads from previous years will have a lot of info as well..
    if your already doing some cycling thatl help,
    basics
    dont underestimate the first run..its tough on the legs
    dont worry about the kayak at all
    1 good tough hill and some offroad ( bog road ) in the cycle , so find some hills for your bike training
    if you can get to climb croagh patrick from the race side preferably but the normal way would do no harm either and or get a look at some of the course it will stand to you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Waylander79

woody1 wrote: »
    theres definitely a few other threads here asking the same thing, from this year as well, if you search gaelforce im sure youl find them, and the gaelforce event threads from previous years will have a lot of info as well..
    if your already doing some cycling thatl help,
    basics
    dont underestimate the first run..its tough on the legs
    dont worry about the kayak at all
    1 good tough hill and some offroad ( bog road ) in the cycle , so find some hills for your bike training
    if you can get to climb croagh patrick from the race side preferably but the normal way would do no harm either and or get a look at some of the course it will stand to you..

Agree 100% with what ^ says! First run you can train for no problem, ideally fit in some uneven/rough terrain on the flat into the training. Pacing yourself for that run will be key on the day because if you let yourself get carried away you could empty the tank and end up cramping on the bike. If you already cycle then you should be ok on the bike provided you can get your distances on your cycles up around 60km coming up to the event. If you can get higher than that fantastic. Croagh Patrick is something you need to train for. Have you been up it before? If not then definitely try and get up there beforehand so you know what you're in for and can train accordingly. I recommend hill runs if you're in an area with decent hills. Ideally you could join an IMRA running group. Check out www.IMRA.ie for more info on that one. Kayak don't even worry about it, just do it on the day.

Don't be too intimidated by the challenge, the reality is that if it was on in the morning you'd probably still be more than capable of finishing provided you go at a pace that you're comfortable with. All that'll change between now and then with the training is that you'll be comfortable with a faster pace and you'll do a better time! So either way you're gonna cross the finish line!

See you on the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Agree 100% with what ^ says! First run you can train for no problem, ideally fit in some uneven/rough terrain on the flat into the training. Pacing yourself for that run will be key on the day because if you let yourself get carried away you could empty the tank and end up cramping on the bike. If you already cycle then you should be ok on the bike provided you can get your distances on your cycles up around 60km coming up to the event. If you can get higher than that fantastic. Croagh Patrick is something you need to train for. Have you been up it before? If not then definitely try and get up there beforehand so you know what you're in for and can train accordingly. I recommend hill runs if you're in an area with decent hills. Ideally you could join an IMRA running group. Check out www.IMRA.ie for more info on that one. Kayak don't even worry about it, just do it on the day.

Don't be too intimidated by the challenge, the reality is that if it was on in the morning you'd probably still be more than capable of finishing provided you go at a pace that you're comfortable with. All that'll change between now and then with the training is that you'll be comfortable with a faster pace and you'll do a better time! So either way you're gonna cross the finish line!

See you on the course!

Super, cheers!

To be honest, I've just moved to Westport and Croagh Patrick is roughly 5km from my house so I've absolutely no excuses!!

First bit of training planned and I'm gonna try and hit the reek twice monthly between now and then! Looking forward to it now to be honest!!

Cheers folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Waylander79

Absolutely no excuse so! You have all the ingredients you need to prepare well so it'll just come down to how much you want to put in versus how much you're hoping to get out of it.

I'd also recommend a good pair of trail runners, I've used the Inov-8 X Talons on the course and they're brilliant on the mucky stuff. Not fantastic on the first road section but that's not too long so they more than make up for it in the wet and muck. Ordinary runners would be like a cross between diving boots and ice skates going through the muck! Your legs will probably need time to adjust to the trail runners so better to get them earlier rather than later if you can.

Absolutely no excuse so! You have all the ingredients you need to prepare well so it'll just come down to how much you want to put in versus how much you're hoping to get out of it.

I'd also recommend a good pair of trail runners, I've used the Inov-8 X Talons on the course and they're brilliant on the mucky stuff. Not fantastic on the first road section but that's not too long so they more than make up for it in the wet and muck. Ordinary runners would be like a cross between diving boots and ice skates going through the muck! Your legs will probably need time to adjust to the trail runners so better to get them earlier rather than later if you can.

Good point. How about these:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-pace-mens-trail-running-shoes-213172?colcode=21317262#customerreviews

Just after buying another pair of trainers, if I arrive with a pair of these herself will go nuts!!

• Advertisement

i have plenty of karrimor gear, tops and shorts and socks but i wouldnt be sure about runners.. i got asics trail runners cheap off startfitness but to be honest they are practically road runners with slightly bigger grips and harder soles.. from what i can gather the salomons and x-talons are very very good also very expensive which is why i dont have them.. plenty will do it in ordinary runners, its up to you, do you want to spend 100 odd quid to knock a few minutes off your time...
    sure have a go on the reek in your runners and see what you think
    if your in westport youl have plenty of people there to fill you in on what to do, and you can train on the course which gives a huge advantage.. im only in ballina and i got out on the bike course a couple of times and id be on the reek a fair bit most years , it makes all the difference to know whats ahead..

Fair enough Woody. Called into Portwest on the way home for a gander and you're talking €100 for a pair of solomons. Got a few bits off sporstdirect so i thought I'd throw it out there. Anyone else buy a pair, let me know!!

Another question; I've got a road bike, is that going to be okay or should I look at hiring a hybrid? Cheers

road bike is fine, if you dont have them already youl be looking to get puncture proof ( resistant :) ) tyres on it , theres a few brands whatever bike shops are in westport will definitely have them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

http://www.marreytrainingsystems.com/#/training-tips/4517244310

Padraig Marrey has put up a good few training tipe on his website above.

http://www.gaelforceevents.com/training/

Gaelforce themselves have plenty of training tips, above.

In general terms Gaelforce is a tough running race with relatively easy cycling sections apart from one rough cycling section which is short enough to walk.

Make sure your legs are well used to running!
    www.imra.ie have loads of races which are ideal prep for Gaelforce, admittedly not too many near Westport.

The event will take between 4 and 8 hours, most folk finish between 5 and 6 hours. Make sure you are ready for 5 hours on the go.

have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Hi Folks,

Have signed up for this run myself and had a question around carrying the Mandatory Kit (Guide Map \ Survival Blanket \ Whistle \ Waterproof Jacket).

Do people normally carry a small bag on the run or a waist pouch to carry this stuff,

Cheers
    Earlsie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Some manage to fit it into pockets (of a cycling top usually). Whatever works for you. Just test out your system in training beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Just been convinced to enter this again, last did it in 2009, great race, really feels like you are covering ground as opposed to the normal circular events around a single transition point.

It's going to be interesting to see how the passage of 4 years effects my performance. For those that have competed every year are there any notable course changes?
    EV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Earlsie wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Have signed up for this run myself and had a question around carrying the Mandatory Kit (Guide Map \ Survival Blanket \ Whistle \ Waterproof Jacket).

Do people normally carry a small bag on the run or a waist pouch to carry this stuff,

Cheers
    Earlsie.

I went with a Camelbak the first time which was probably overkill.

You should easily fit a tinfoil blanket, poncho or lightweight jacket, whistle and map into a cycling jersey. Obviously if you're expecting to walk parts of it you'll want to dress warmer than that.

You can leave any food you need attached to your bike. I carried a lucozade for the first run and then topped that bottle up with water at the kayak start (they have water tanks at each transition)

Advertisement