Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights home for Xmas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Has anyone flown with Air China before? Flying with them can give return flights of 1.7k, but Ive never heard of them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Flight prices from Australia are crazy, almost 33% to 50% more expensive than flying from Ireland return, you guys are getting absolutely ripped off. Consider flying Air Asia X or Scoot either Kuala Lumpur or Singapore and book return flights from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Stinicker wrote: »
    Flight prices from Australia are crazy, almost 33% to 50% more expensive than flying from Ireland return, you guys are getting absolutely ripped off. Consider flying Air Asia X or Scoot either Kuala Lumpur or Singapore and book return flights from there.

Agreed, my flights dub - bkk - syd - dub are only 100e dearer than a one way from syd - dub..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jellie wrote: »
    Has anyone flown with Air China before? Flying with them can give return flights of 1.7k, but Ive never heard of them...

two friends of mine did, both said they were fine, but nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Stinicker wrote: »

The problem with this is that in Dec/Jan EVERY airline, even the LCC's, are charging premium for Xmas. Just checked and AAX and Scoot are both charging $800 return SEAT ONLY for any ticket out of and into Australia in Dec/Jan.

So add the return from Singapore/KL to Dublin (a quick check shows approx $1400-$1500AUD) and you are looking at $2300 minimum. Combine that with the hassle of booking seperate tickets, the risk of missing connections, as well as transferring (in KL, AAX fly into a completely seperate terminal which is 20-30 minutes from the full-service terminal).

Yes flights are 33-50% more but so are wages. This theory only works in off-peak when you are time-rich/cash poor and can afford to take your time getting home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

hussey wrote: »
    two friends of mine did, both said they were fine, but nothing special.

Thanks! If it saves me 1300 fine is more than enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

It's finally happened. Etihad have dropped prices across much of the peak xmas window to $2400-$2500 direct on their website.

For anyone looking for the quickest way home. I don't think it'll get any better.

Advertisement