Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent late - landlord over-reacting - what can I do?

Options
  • 20-03-2013 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

hey guys so i text my landlord and told him the rent would be two days late and he said ok thats fine but then i returned home after the long weekend and put baba to bed and settled down for the evening about eight o'clock there was a banging on the door as i was not expecting anyone i didn't answer but then the key started turning in the door and i walked out and slammed the door closed, my landlord shouted where is the rent and i said that he said it was ok if it was two days late and he started verbally abusing me. He had my partner crying and then he left so my question is if he forces his way in can without warning and i attack him what would happen, He was very violent last night so just want to defend my family

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You have it in writing (text isnt great but at least its something) that he agreed to the rent being a couple of days late. If he lets himself into the property again then take a case against him for entering the property uninvited and for denying you your right to quiet enjoyment of the property.

If he forces his way in and/or acts agressively call the police.

Under no circumstances should you attack him unless you have good reason to believe that the safety of your family is at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

djimi wrote: »
    You have it in writing (text isnt great but at least its something) that he agreed to the rent being a couple of days late. If he lets himself into the property again then take a case against him for entering the property uninvited and for denying you your right to quiet enjoyment of the property.

If he forces his way in and/or acts agressively call the police.

Under no circumstances should you attack him unless you have good reason to believe that the safety of your family is at risk.

ok thank you i am in no way violent just im the only man with two girls in the house so need to protect them another thing is shouting in the hallway at me considered harrasment ? thank you

Yes of course it would be harrassment; the landlord has absolutely no business being in your property uninvited and unannounced in the first place, but to force his way in and then start shouting at you is totally unacceptable. If it happens again that he forces his way in and starts acting aggressively get onto the Gardai immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

is shouting in the hallway at me considered harrasment ? thank you

Yes - why have you not already reported this to the Gardai? He broke into your home and then started shouting at you. Down to the garda station asap, show them the text and report it. That way it's all on file. Then send a calm message to the landlord stating that the rent will be paid tomorrow (as previously agreed by him) and that you will not tolerate him preventing your peaceful enjoyment of the property. Let him know that you've reported the incident to the gardai so it's on file, but that you won't be pursuing it any further if it's an isolated incident.

If you want to protect your family you need to stand up to him in a non-confrontational but firm manner. Doing nothing is not protecting them.

Thank you for the helpful replies i am off to the garda station now calm as i can be was really angry before so il try tell you guys what comes of it peace out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lisasimps

he needs to give you 24 hours written notice if he wants to enter the property anyway so he broke the law

just found out he reported us for not paying rent to the prtb and that he contacted a solicitor also what do I do now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭sweetie

the PRTB will do nothing for him, people can get away for years without paying rent and he's having a hissy about two days which he agreed to. he's being a p rick and I would be giving my notice. Might be hard enough for him to rent it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

I would say you do nothing. You have filed it with the Gardai. Unless you have any requests for information or action from either a solicitor or the PTRB, then do nothing. He is in the wrong, so let him spend his money and spin his wheels until his calms down. It doesn't really sound like you have anything to worry about. Make sure you keep a copy of the SMS exchange where he agreed to the delay in payment.

Other than that, you are in the right here, based on what you have told us so far, so just forget about it and get on with life!!

sweetie wrote: »
    the PRTB will do nothing for him, people can get away for years without paying rent and he's having a hissy about two days which he agreed to. he's being a p rick and I would be giving my notice. Might be hard enough for him to rent it out again.
    So he can do nothing what about going to a solicitor what can we do about that ?

• Advertisement

You have it in writing that you informed him of the late payment and he agreed to it. What does he think the PRTB are going to do for him?

Have you since paid the rent or is he still waiting on it? If you have paid it then there isnt a thing he can do about it; even if he wanted to evict you he would have to give you 14 days written notice of his intention to evict, and if you paid the rent in full within those 14 days then he cannot persue it any further.

He is only wasting his own time here; I wouldnt worry about it. Although I would see it as a warning sign that he is not somebody that you want to be dealing with. If you are not tied into a fixed term lease then Id be looking to move if it were me. Somebody with that short a fuse and obvious lack of knowledge of rental law (not to mention common sense) is not someone Id want to have any further dealings with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 elclassico90

your landlord sounds like a legend

a mans gotta get paid!

your landlord sounds like a legend

a mans gotta get paid!

ledgend he may be but I have a good mind to drag this out now just to get back at him scaring my daughter I should have strung him up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭sweetie

So he can do nothing what about going to a solicitor what can we do about that ?

he's hardly going to sue for two days late payment, the cost to him alone wouldn't be worth it - he's bluffing now. probably thinks you may be a bad tenant (how long are you there, have you a lease?) and wants rid. Maybe you could dig in a stay as long as possible to stand up to him but with a young family you want an easy life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 elclassico90

ledgend he may be but I have a good mind to drag this out now just to get back at him scaring my daughter I should have strung him up

why didn't you there is nothing worse than regrets

sweetie wrote: »
    he's hardly going to sue for two days late payment, the cost to him alone wouldn't be worth it - he's bluffing now. probably thinks you may be a bad tenant (how long are you there, have you a lease?) and wants rid. Maybe you could dig in a stay as long as possible to stand up to him but with a young family you want an easy life.
    I don't mind paying rent and I don't want an easy life just respect that I have earned from him I paid rent on time for six months on a fixed term lease

because that would make me scum like him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Looks like the landlord isn't the only one who can be confrontational!!

Have you paid your rent yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

With the extended text agreement - when is the rent actually due?

I can think of plenty of things worse than regrets. Such as entering into a long and unnecessary battle with your landlord just for the sake of "getting back at" him. Life is too short for nonsense like that; move out and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

I'd meet whoever's face came into my house with a fist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

You could just pay the rent on time and avoid these problems.

(Alternatively in social-welfare state utopia Ireland, simply stop paying, and live for free).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

This doesn't make sense that only after 2 days late and after agreement by text that the landlord would show up. Either the landlord has psychological issues or we are not getting the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Joe Hart wrote: »
    I'd meet whoever's face came into my house with a fist.
    Do not advocate violence.
    dissed doc wrote: »
    You could just pay the rent on time and avoid these problems.

(Alternatively in social-welfare state utopia Ireland, simply stop paying, and live for free).
    No need to be insulting.
    hawkelady wrote: »
    Looks like the landlord isn't the only one who can be confrontational!!

Have you paid your rent yet?
    Constructive posts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Have you paid the rent yet? It would be better to cover yourself at this point, the harassment is a separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

lisasimps wrote: »
    he needs to give you 24 hours written notice if he wants to enter the property anyway so he broke the law

Doesn't need to be written , does need to be concented to unless its an emergency
    just found out he reported us for not paying rent to the prtb and that he contacted a solicitor also what do I do now ?

On this you have nothing to worry about if he wants to waste money on solicitors letters let him , the courts wont touch it unless the amount is over 60K

The prtb may have been contacted but they will tell him to write a 14 day rent arrears notice notice which is all he can do.

You however could take him to prtb and should if he does this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

djimi wrote: »
    Yes of course it would be harrassment; the landlord has absolutely no business being in your property uninvited and unannounced in the first place, but to force his way in and then start shouting at you is totally unacceptable. If it happens again that he forces his way in and starts acting aggressively get onto the Gardai immediately.

mayb wait until the second or third times? or better still make a stand against unacceptable behaviour and go straight to the gards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

There is no way he would have responded like that unless he has a real and tangible fear that you're going to renege on paying your rent.
    I have a good mind to drag this out now
    Regardless of what happened, you have a responsibility to pay your bills (if you're a responsible, honest, decent individual).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

because that would make me scum like him

Have you paid it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

This nonsense of being two days late is ridiculous. It is two days the first time, then four days. People think they are due an award for paying on time for six months. If someone was there five years and had a cash flow difficulty there would be some excuse but after six months it is a definite try on.

Advertisement