Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent late - landlord over-reacting - what can I do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Kosseegan wrote: »
    This nonsense of being two days late is ridiculous. It is two days the first time, then four days. People think they are due an award for paying on time for six months. If someone was there five years and had a cash flow difficulty there would be some excuse but after six months it is a definite try on.

So you dont accept that perhaps there might even be the slightest chance that the OP is genuine in their request; that something completely unforeseen might have happened to prevent them from paying their rent on time? **** happens sometimes; doesnt make any difference if you are in a property 6 months or 6 years. Can happen to anyone at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

djimi wrote: »
    So you dont accept that perhaps there might even be the slightest chance that the OP is genuine in their request; that something completely unforeseen might have happened to prevent them from paying their rent on time? **** happens sometimes; doesnt make any difference if you are in a property 6 months or 6 years. Can happen to anyone at any time.
    It is highly unlikely that the landlord would have reacted in the way that he did unless he believed that this was going beyond 2 days i.e. that there is a REAL issue here with payment. We only have half the story - but we can determine that much.
    doesnt make any difference if you are in a property 6 months or 6 years.
    From the point of view of tennant-landlord relationship and such things as trust and goodwill, it makes every difference.
    So you dont accept that perhaps there might even be the slightest chance that the OP is genuine in their request
    See above - we only have half the story - and it's highly unlikely that the landlord would have reacted as he did were the issue confined to a 2 day delay.
    Can happen to anyone at any time.
    Yes, circumstances can and do arise. However, people also have to take personal responsibility. Paying your rent has to be up at the very top of anyones priorities in the allocation of funds. We don't know the OP's general financial circumstances but to make the point, we don't need to. Whether working or on SW, there are funds coming in - and rent has to be prioritised.
    Any goodwill shown by the landlord is exactly that - goodwill. There is NO obligation for him to show that.
    I really hope that you have financial hardship at some point in time due to unforseen circumstances.
    ...and I really hope that you get the opportunity to be placed in the same scenario i.e. someone accepts goods/services from you and doesn't pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pink Fox

I agree, your rent should be a priority. You have to secure the roof over your head first, next comes food and heat. Your Sky, phone credit, car, etc come further down the line. You are going to have to pay rent to someone and if you mess up with your landlord, you will not get a reference, no landlord wants tenants who don't pay up. They are not your parents, they don't have to subsidise you. The landlord has kept his part of the arrangement - you are in his house - you should give him what is due.
    He should not have come in without giving you giving you notice but I know landlords who went into houses because they could not contact the tenant only to find the house cleared out.
    A reputation as a good tenant is invaluable. I know landlords who have given character references to job applicants and helped them get work.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

I'd change the lock on the door and start looking for a new place. Your landlord is a scumbag and you can only expect more of the same. I would not expect you deposit back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

gaius c wrote: »
    Have you paid it yet?

Can the OP please state if this has been paid or not. I think it would provide clarification to some of the above opinions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It is highly unlikely that the landlord would have reacted in the way that he did unless he believed that this was going beyond 2 days i.e. that there is a REAL issue here with payment. We only have half the story - but we can determine that much...
    You are asking us to believe that OP came here and told lies; you suggest that the landlord might have had good reason to act as he did; you almost suggest that the landlord's behaviour was reasonable.

I am open to the possibility that what OP said was true, and the landlord was quite unreasonable. Else why would OP have come here to discuss his concerns?

It is highly unlikely that the landlord would have reacted in the way that he did unless he believed that this was going beyond 2 days i.e. that there is a REAL issue here with payment. We only have half the story - but we can determine that much.
    See above - we only have half the story - and it's highly unlikely that the landlord would have reacted as he did were the issue confined to a 2 day delay.

I agree we only have one side of the story, but on an internet forum you have to take somewhat of a leap of faith and assume that the OP is telling truth; otherwise there is no point in reading or offering advice.
    From the point of view of tennant-landlord relationship and such things as trust and goodwill, it makes every difference.

If it was the first month I would agree. Even 6 months into a tenancy a good tenant should have built up enough good will with the landlord that they should give them the benefit of the doubt with something like this. If it happens again then by all means assume the worst, but as I said these kind of things can happen to anyone, and its usually not at a convenient time either.
    Yes, circumstances can and do arise. However, people also have to take personal responsibility. Paying your rent has to be up at the very top of anyones priorities in the allocation of funds. We don't know the OP's general financial circumstances but to make the point, we don't need to. Whether working or on SW, there are funds coming in - and rent has to be prioritised.
    Any goodwill shown by the landlord is exactly that - goodwill. There is NO obligation for him to show that.

Im guessing youve never found yourself in a situation where something urgent saps your money then? Never had unexpected medical bills? Rent is less important than a sick child... Of course you should make every effort to prioritize your rent, but if you think that there is no situation that will ever arise that might mean that you struggle to do so then you do not live in real world Im afraid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye. I pay my rent roughly around the same date every month. When I say roughly I mean very roughly in that it could be a week early or a week late. Never thought it would be an issue and it never has been.

The timescales are unclear here. The Op said he texted the LL. I would be interested to know when that was and whether he has subsequently paid.

Having said that the LL needs to issue a 14 day notice of arrears and has absolutely no right to enter the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Whatever happened in the first place, the landlord has no business going to the property with the keys and gaining access to it unannounced. He can of course ring the bell and ask, like any VISITOR would do, but the fact he even brought the keys to the apartment with him kinda means he went there with the intent of intimidating the tenant.

Unfortunately, there are loads of landlords like that. The OP should prepare to have reported issues being largely ignored (whereas the rent will always be requested on time) and can bid farewell to his deposit.

Move out as soon as the contract allows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

The o/p offered no explanation as to why his rent would be late. He has yet to confirm whether he paid it at all. There is no doubt that he is playing to the gallery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stupid posts are stupid
    No need for insults. Constructive posts only please.

The o/p offered no explanation as to why his rent would be late.
    He doesn't have to.
    He has yet to confirm whether he paid it at all.
    He doesn't have to.
    There is no doubt that he is playing to the gallery.
    More like playing to a bench of self-appointed judges.

The issue that OP brought here for discussion and advice is how he might respond if his landlord enters his home and behaves aggressively. The stuff about the rent is background.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Whatever happened in the first place, the landlord has no business going to the property with the keys and gaining access to it unannounced. He can of course ring the bell and ask, like any VISITOR would do, but the fact he even brought the keys to the apartment with him kinda means he went there with the intent of intimidating the tenant.

Unfortunately, there are loads of landlords like that. The OP should prepare to have reported issues being largely ignored (whereas the rent will always be requested on time) and can bid farewell to his deposit.

Move out as soon as the contract allows.
    That is full of assumptions with no thought.

LL calls to door nobody answers sounds like telly is on. LL wonders if tenant is ok goes to check they are ok to have the door slammed on him. Then gets angry. People start shouting everyone is angry and unreasonable.

Slamming a door on somebody is an aggressive move. Doesn't matter if LL was wrong no need to be violent and I would consider it the same as pushing somebody.

Anytime I visit a property I bring the keys and it has nothing to do with intimidation. It's just practical and some keys are with me most of the time.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Anytime I visit a property I bring the keys and it has nothing to do with intimidation. It's just practical and some keys are with me most of the time.
    It's perfectly okay to bring the keys with you. It's not at all okay to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

LL calls to door nobody answers sounds like telly is on. LL wonders if tenant is ok goes to check they are ok to have the door slammed on him. Then gets angry. People start shouting everyone is angry and unreasonable..
    Im Sorry but that statement is bs ,
    Not even a garda would do that ,

As the op said the ll was informed of a delay in payment ,then tried to force his way into the apartment unannounced there is only one wrong in this ,
    Jumping on the op by some posters is a joke, some are asking of proof of payment sorry but that none of your business wonder the op hasn't posted again ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

He doesn't have to.

He doesn't have to.

More like playing to a bench of self-appointed judges.

The issue that OP brought here for discussion and advice is how he might respond if his landlord enters his home and behaves aggressively. The stuff about the rent is background.

The o/p is contractually bound to pay his rent on time. that is what he agrred to do when he took on the lease. If he has a reason for being late with his rent he should have the manners to state it.
    Not giving a reason is impertinent and is insulting. No wonder the landlord reacted robustly. The o/p tried it on and was caught. He will have to behave like a mature adult and pay his rent on time in future.
    If he doesn't want his landlord calling around he should pay his rent on time.

LL calls to door nobody answers sounds like telly is on. LL wonders if tenant is ok goes to check they are ok to have the door slammed on him. Then gets angry. People start shouting everyone is angry and unreasonable.

Slamming a door on somebody is an aggressive move. Doesn't matter if LL was wrong no need to be violent and I would consider it the same as pushing somebody.

Why is the landlord at the door in the first place? If we are to take this story at face value then the landlord has already agreed to the rent being paid late, so there is absolutely no reason for him to arrive at the property unannounced.

The o/p is contractually bound to pay his rent on time. that is what he agrred to do when he took on the lease. If he has a reason for being late with his rent he should have the manners to state it.
    Not giving a reason is impertinent and is insulting. No wonder the landlord reacted robustly. The o/p tried it on and was caught. He will have to behave like a mature adult and pay his rent on time in future.

How do you know they didnt state the reason? Just because they didnt post it on here?

Youre making a lot of assumptions based on nothing at all.

You are also coming across as being totally unreasonable.

Seriously- op informed the ll of a delayed payment no issue then ,later on tried to force his way in to said op apartment you think this is mature really 'how a bout a public flogging or lynching suit

The o/p is contractually bound to pay his rent on time. that is what he agrred to do when he took on the lease.
    Agreed
    If he has a reason for being late with his rent he should have the manners to state it. Not giving a reason is impertinent and is insulting.
    There seems to be a belief that he also has to give the reason here. We don't know if he told the landlord the reason for the delay.
    No wonder the landlord reacted robustly.
    Robustly! Trespass and intimidatory behaviour over rent being two days late: that is grossly disproportionate.
    The o/p tried it on and was caught.
    OP tried it on? He expected to be two days late and had the courtesy to contact the landlord - I presume in an apologetic manner.
    He will have to behave like a mature adult and pay his rent on time in future.
    As I read it, it is the landlord who did not behave like a mature adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Reminds me of that time a fella got done for repeatedly headbutting another fella's clenched fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

assuming OP's story is accurate
    1, landlord agreed to late payment
    2, even if he hadn't, he still shouldn't have reacted like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

You are asking us to believe that OP came here and told lies;
    No - not lies in terms of what he has relayed here on this thread.
    you suggest that the landlord might have had good reason to act as he did; you almost suggest that the landlord's behaviour was reasonable.
    No - I did no such thing! I suggested that any rational mind could only come to the conclusion that there was more at stake than rent being late for 2 days (as unless he has some pyschological issues, he is unlikely to act as per the account the OP presented - unless there is something greater at stake).
    I never said that the OP was lying. However, in a dispute, you WILL always get 2 versions of events. In between those two versions lies the accurate account.
    Else why would OP have come here to discuss his concerns?
    I am also open to the possibility that the landlord is a class A - A-hole. As regards what advise the OP came looking for, some suggested ways of effectively of sticking it to the landlord. Despite what he may or may not have done, that would NOT be responsible, ethical, honest behaviour.
    h3llr4iser wrote:
    He can of course ring the bell and ask, like any VISITOR would do, but the fact he even brought the keys to the apartment with him kinda means he went there with the intent of intimidating the tenant.
    See Ray Palmer's post - he clarifies why he may have had keys with him - and HOW this may have played out at the time.
    He doesn't have to.
    He came on here looking for advise (presumably). With more accurate info, people here are going to be in a better position to advise. Just for the record, he very much DOES have to explain that to the landlord - and the landlord is well within his rights NOT to accept any delay in payment.
    He doesn't have to.[confirm whether he actually paid the rent
    Don't you think that's kind of a fundamental to the whole episode!!? And whiile we are on the subject, NOT taking personal responsibility and paying ones bills is NOT acceptable behaviour!

The stuff about the rent is background.
    It is NOT background. It is key. The actions of the landlord (as described) are not acceptable. However, whether the rent had been paid since - is important - as whilst it doesn't excuse his actions, it very much clarifies how he came to act in this way.
    Gatling wrote:
    there is only one wrong in this ,
    Jumping on the op by some posters is a joke, some are asking of proof of payment sorry but that none of your business wonder the op hasn't posted again
    Absolute nonsense! In any dispute, there are two versions of events. We only have one of them. Whether he paid the rent IS vitally important.
    djimi wrote:
    Why is the landlord at the door in the first place? If we are to take this story at face value then the landlord has already agreed to the rent being paid late, so there is absolutely no reason for him to arrive at the property unannounced.
    Agree 110% with you. WHY was he at the door if he was totally happy to offer the 2 day extension? It makes no sense, right...unless...???
    OP tried it on? He expected to be two days late and had the courtesy to contact the landlord - I presume in an apologetic manner.
    We don't know that of course (whether it was a 'try on'). However, the nature of these things is that people push the boundaries. First, they're late by a couple of days, then a couple of weeks - and on it goes from here. I'm not saying that was the case here. However, lets not be naive or selective in our reasoning - this DOES happen - all day, every day - up and down the country.

Conspiracy theories 101

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Your landlord sounds like a ****. I have to mirror what others have said on this one. Landlord can't just come in unanounced. I have friend who rent places and they would never do it. I also have friends in bedsit situations who have landlord collect the rent every week in person. Naturally I was outraged by this, but they were ambivilent to this. Thing was in one case sometime my friend living in the bedsit would not hear from the landlord for a few weeks despite repeated texts. As far as I know you are entitled to change door locks on a property you are renting without the landlords permission, provided you return the original locks in working order if requested.

I believe however that if you are vacating the properties you are expected to accomodate the landlord in showing the apartment to potential new tenants. I wish you the best in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think there is more to this story than meets the eye. I pay my rent roughly around the same date every month. When I say roughly I mean very roughly in that it could be a week early or a week late. Never thought it would be an issue and it never has been.

The timescales are unclear here. The Op said he texted the LL. I would be interested to know when that was and whether he has subsequently paid.

Having said that the LL needs to issue a 14 day notice of arrears and has absolutely no right to enter the house.
    I would evict you as the mortgage for the property is due the same at every month and if the rent isn't I couldn't pay it. Selfish tenant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ted1 wrote: »
    I would evict you as the mortgage for the property is due the same at every month and if the rent isn't I couldn't pay it. Selfish tenant

Haha. No you wouldn't/couldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

This story has a fishy smell about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

DID you pay your rent yet????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Haha. No you wouldn't/couldn't

I would.

Advertisement