Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent late - landlord over-reacting - what can I do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

lukesmom wrote: »
    DID you pay your rent yet????
    A number of people in this thread seem intent on questioning the bona fides of OP. Why? It's actually not relevant to the question OP asked, which is a question about the landlord's right to enter a property and the tenant's rights in dealing with it. Those rights are unaffected by rent being two days or two months or two years late.

Why the character assassination of OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

A number of people in this thread seem intent on questioning the bona fides of OP. Why? It's actually not relevant to the question OP asked, which is a question about the landlord's right to enter a property and the tenant's rights in dealing with it. Those rights are unaffected by rent being two days or two months or two years late.

Why the character assassination of OP?

Actually I believe it's very relevant. For all we know the op could have missed several payments and the fact that he hadn't answered this question is beginning to speak volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Why? It's actually not relevant to the question OP asked
    It's fundamentally relevant. Nobody has disputed the fact that the landlord should not have turned the key in the lock of what was/is the OP's home. However, it is NOT rational that he would have acted in this way unless he had a REAL tangible fear of this going beyond 2 days.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Actually I believe it's very relevant. For all we know the op could have missed several payments and the fact that he hadn't answered this question is beginning to speak volumes.
    He hasn't denied wife-beating either.

He hasn't denied wife-beating either.
    If that's his bag, then we're not interested as it is not fundamentally relevant - whether or not he paid his rent IS.

• Advertisement

If that's his bag, then we're not interested as it is not fundamentally relevant - whether or not he paid his rent IS.
    It's not. The landlord still has no right to enter the property in the manner described.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

It's not. The landlord still has no right to enter the property in the manner described.

Have you actually read this thread ? Nobody is disputing that fact , however If tenant paid his rent none of this would have occurred. Also it's not reasonable to believe that as op said , the ll agreed to waiting two days for the rent , for him then to come banging looking for it a short while after agreeing to the delay.
    Sounds like a troublesome tenant to me and proved more so that he hasn't replied yet.
    We should all stop talking about this until the op replies to the decent requests about has he paid his rent yet. If so then it's a non story until the next time he pays it a little late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

hawkelady wrote: »
    Have you actually read this thread ? Nobody is disputing that fact , however If tenant paid his rent none of this would have occurred. Also it's not reasonable to believe that as op said , the ll agreed to waiting two days for the rent , for him then to come banging looking for it a short while after agreeing to the delay.
    Sounds like a troublesome tenant to me and proved more so that he hasn't replied yet.
    We should all stop talking about this until the op replies to the decent requests about has he paid his rent yet. If so then it's a non story until the next time he pays it a little late.

You're one of these blame the victim types. If she wasn't wearing a short skirt none of this would not have happened. Would you still blame the tenant if the landlord gave them a few digs?

We should all stop talking about this until the op replies to the decent requests about has he paid his rent yet...
    Why should OP be obliged to deal with questions that have no bearing on the substance of the questions he asked? He wanted clarification on the landlord's rights and advice on how to deal with a situation.

Whether or not he has since paid his rent is a red herring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Why should OP be obliged to deal with questions that have no bearing on the substance of the questions he asked? He wanted clarification on the landlord's rights and advice on how to deal with a situation.

Not if its the cause of the problem to begin with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

There are well-known legal actions that have to be taken if rent is unpaid. Trespassing and intimidation are not among them.

Joe Hart wrote: »
    You're one of these blame the victim types. If she wasn't wearing a short skirt none of this would not have happened. Would you still blame the tenant if the landlord gave them a few digs?

Absolute nonsense! Unless the landlord has some serious psychological disorder, it would not be in his interests to enter the property without notice. Why would he do that? To achieve what exactly? Despite the fact that he overstepped the mark (excepted by EVERYONE on this thread thus far), don't be so naive to believe he felt compelled to do it for no good reason! If there was no issue, I'm sure he has better things to be doing with his time.
    It's most certainly is NOT a red herring - see above.
    No, it's not. There are well-known legal actions that have to be taken if rent is unpaid. Trespassing and intimidation are not among them.
    Once again, NOBODY on this thread has suggested that he was right to enter the property. You mention legal actions. Leaving aside 'legal actions', are you suggesting then that morally, it's acceptable NOT to pay your bills?

No. That sort of cheap-shot argument suggests that the landlord has some justification. He does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

Put a sneaky camera in place then phone him and invite him over to talk about this.if he starts his antics you have him by the bxxxs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

He was very violent last night so just want to defend my family

What kind of violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

pm1977x wrote: »

What kind of violence?

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cocobear

just found out he reported us for not paying rent to the prtb and that he contacted a solicitor also what do I do now ?

Have you always paid the rent on time in the past?
    Is this the first time it's been late?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

The LL used his key to enter the property while the op was in the house.

Disgusting behaviour. I would feel violated after that. Total lack of respect, no excuse.

I would treat him as a burgular in the house and act accordingly to protect my family. he wouldnt do it twice.

I would feel under threat after that and move out.

uberalles wrote: »
    Total lack of respect, no excuse.
    Absolutely agree with you - bang out of order.

I guess he has worries of his own ...like meeting a mortgage payment or paying rent himself - or another bill. Of course, I suppose he should just calm down and not worry about any of that - and not pay his bills. Afterall, things happen in life - and those he owes $ to will have to accept that.:rolleyes:

I guess he has worries of his own ...like meeting a mortgage payment or paying rent himself - or another bill. Of course, I suppose he should just calm down and not worry about any of that - and not pay his bills. Afterall, things happen in life - and those he owes $ to will have to accept that.:rolleyes:

He is having relationship trouble as well so you should worry about that because it has as much relevance to him letting himself into the house to threaten a tenant.

I supposed you wouldn't mind if his bank came hammering at his door because his mortgage payment was a few days late? Maybe rough him up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

He is having relationship trouble as well so you should worry about that because it has as much relevance to him letting himself into the house to threaten a tenant.

I supposed you wouldn't mind if his bank came hammering at his door because his mortgage payment was a few days late? Maybe rough him up a bit.
    Ya the op felt so threatened he told us as opposed to the guards!

Once again, nobody condoned his actions on this thread. However, you think that him not being paid as contractually agreed is all fine and dandy - and will have NO IMPACT on the landlord? He doesn't have bills of his own to pay? Sure, he's a landlord - probably has gazillions in the bank, right?:rolleyes:
    A few days late is what's on record. I said it before and I will say it again...
    No sane landlord would take this action for 2 days late payment which he had already agreed to!

A month late, it doesn't matter. If he can't handle periods of non-payment then he is a mickey mouse landlord. The risks are that you get a tenant that goes a year without paying and you can't sue them. That's the game. Don't like it then get out.

I hope you not actually joe hart cause you certainly dropped the ball on this one!!!
    You are making up so many excuses its getting nauseating reading this. Just stick to the first post and remember its only one side were hearing. Plus there is plenty of holes you could pick in op version too, all of which have been mentioned thru the previous pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

ebbsy wrote: »
    This story has a fishy smell about it.

You have a fishy smell about you.

How do you like those apples?

A month late, it doesn't matter. If he can't handle periods of non-payment then he is a mickey mouse landlord. The risks are that you get a tenant that goes a year without paying and you can't sue them. That's the game. Don't like it then get out.

Are you for real?? Do you rent yourself or have a mortgage.
    With your comment above I feel you have just made it harder for all blokes out there called joe hart who wish to rent. It's the most rediculious post I've ever read on boards...... And believe me there has been some beauties ... Moronic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Rent should never be late.

In this case though (aside from the hyperbole from some people) based on the OP's posts the landlord has acted unreasonable.

Are you for real?? Do you rent yourself or have a mortgage.
    With your comment above I feel you have just made it harder for all blokes out there called joe hart who wish to rent. It's the most rediculious post I've ever read on boards...... And believe me there has been some beauties ... Moronic post.

Head over the irishlandlords.com and you will find a few pros who agree with me. Of course this country is full of amateurs who still think its their house to do what they want with.

If somebody is late with the rent you give them a chance. If you get a feeling its going to be a regular thing then you get them out as fast and legally as possible. Issuing 14 day notices, full compliance with legislation etc.

If you are stressing over your own costs then you can **** off and blame yourself for being a rubbish business person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Just out of curiosity, if the OP is genuine in this and had a good excuse for the delay then where exactly do you expect them to get the rent money from? Pull it out of thin air? If they havent got it then they havent got it; no amount of whinging and screaming (or in this case aggressive lawbreaking bullying) is going to change that. The law is not on the landlord side here; they can whinge all they want but the bottom line is if the rent is only two days late, and assuming its the first time something like this has happened, then there isnt a damn thing they can do about it. Its a fact of life with the way the Irish tenancy laws are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Rent should never be late.

In an ideal world no payment would ever be late. Im not sure if youve noticed but we dont live in an ideal world...

Advertisement