Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Takeover

Options
  • 20-03-2013 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

Anyone who watched the first round of "Format Farm" pilots on RTE2 last autumn will remember the first of these pilots, The Takeover, in which the employees of Tea Time Express took over the running of the company for two weeks and tried to turn its fortunes around in that time without any input from their managers.

And their attempt involved the introduction of cupcakes to the range, much to their managers' disapproval. :D:D:D

The reaction to this pilot was generally positive - so it ought to be good news that a full six-part series has been commissioned. :D

It starts on Thursday night at 9:30, and should be just as fun.

(On a loosely-related note, one of the other pilots from that first round, Six in the City, was generally disliked - yet it too has been commissioned for six episodes. Boo. :mad:)

Comments

Couple of my mates are in one of the episodes so I'm really looking forward to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Interesting format, nice to see it getting a full series. I feel a bit sorry for the Bosses who are sidelined for the show - If the 'ordinary' employees make serious improvements to the business it makes their position look shakey!

Unfortunately, Tea Time Express has closed since their show was broadcast.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/tea-time-express-to-close-with-loss-of-30-jobs-1.547847

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭brian_t

Anyone The Takeover, in which the employees of Tea Time Express took over the running of the company for two weeks and tried to turn its fortunes around in that time without any input from their managers.

Tea Time Express announced they were closing down shortly after. Did this happen?
    It starts on Thursday night at 9:30, and should be just as fun.

Episode 1 - Navan Golf and Racecourse

In episode one of The Takeover, Darren Lawlor of Navan Golf and Race Course, and Norah Casey surprise the staff with the news that for 10 working days, the employees will be calling the shots.

With Darren out of the picture, the staff attempt to turn the racecourse's facilities into a venue for parties and weddings, try out some innovative marketing ideas for their golf club and boost Race Day attendance by targetting groups of very young and very old potential customers. All with very mixed results...

With one of their biggest and most high-profile race days of the year taking place in the middle of their takeover, they may struggle to cope with life without their boss.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/thetakeover.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭brian_t

Ultimate Hair and Beauty in the GPO Arcade is the 2nd episode according to DigiGuide.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,271 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Norah still the presenter?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Norah still the presenter?

Yes,she is still there. She is on almost programme on RTE these days.

I see Sony Pictures Television are involved in 'The Takeover' and are trying to sell The Format Worldwide

Interesting article from last September here.

http://www.iftn.ie/locationsireland/locationsnews/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4285389&tpl=archnews&force=1
    Toto Productions’ Ruth Roden and Eoin Kavanagh began developing the format in 2011 with seed money they received from the Louth Enterprise Board and Target Distribution. When Target went into liquidation soon after the deal was struck, Toto was free to choose the right distribution partner for the format. RTÉ commissioning editor Eddie Doyle and assistant commissioning editor Tonyia Dowling then helped develop ‘The Takeover’ further, airing it as its first pilot of the Format Farm.

The Format Farm, the brainchild of Eddie Doyle, is a scheme which promotes original Irish television formats, in the hope of securing international sales. Each format, (five were originally chosen to pilot) had to have an international distributor on board which matched RTÉ’s funding for the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Anyone watch this last night. Ganley's was featured last night, it was like an episode of the office. So funny well worth a watch on the RTE player. Look out for the clueless couple in the electrical section, the highlight being when the lady was told to stop serving Caprisun to the assorted 12 year olds on the brand new Ipads and laptops. Check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

patmac wrote: »
    Anyone watch this last night. Ganley's was featured last night, it was like an episode of the office. So funny well worth a watch on the RTE player. Look out for the clueless couple in the electrical section, the highlight being when the lady was told to stop serving Caprisun to the assorted 12 year olds on the brand new Ipads and laptops. Check it out

Agreed, hate to be cruel but the "boss" should realise that he has technophobes working in the electrical department :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Nice format show but many of the ideas the employees have are ridiculous!
    The bar men who decided to run a pub from dundalk to their pub. But kinda forgot to advertise it and only 1 person (who seemed to be their mate) arrived to avail of the service.
    The girls who worked in the baby section of Ganleys ordering 20k worth of new stock without knowing how much they had spent or how much they stood to make.

However the episode from navan racecourse was very good in my opinion. The employees really came across as a good bunch who cared deeply about the business. They had some good ideas and the financials were focused on.
    But since then the numbers have taken a back seat and some of the employees seem just out for a laugh.

I am not sure if Norah brings much 'advice' to the show. She seems to set them off by hosting a brain storming session and then checks up on them.

• Advertisement

The format of this show is very similar to an earlier RTE Programme, 'Life Without Me'

In that programme, the Boss went away on holidays while leaving their employees in charge. He or she was given video updates during the filming but were not allowed any contact with their staff.

One of the episodes was about PaddyWagon Tours, who have some of their programme embedded on their Website

http://www.paddywagontours.com/life-without-me.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Bump!

Another rare good decision by RTE: they've given The Takeover a second series. :)

It starts on Thursday week, 20 March, and it should be just as fun as the first.

For those who might have forgotten about the show, here's the Eddie Murphy Menswear episode:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Anyone watching tonight? Just started, they're in the Hillgrove hotel in Monaghan town

I stayed at the hotel during the 2 weeks and I think I know some of the stuff they tried out! Pretty sure we weren't caught on camera but met the crew a couple of times It's a really nice spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Seems like a fun hotel dee-mc

It is! The décor is lovely, it's very girly but quirky! Not lovin the male owner's attitude, he seems very pessimistic. Which I suppose you would be as a hotel owner in this climate after risking 20 grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I notice tonight's episode is from Drogheda, last weeks was from Bettystown and one of last year's was from Dunleer, would it be fair to say that this triangle has the highest concentration of ****e business people in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Threads merged and moved to the Reality TV Forum.

I notice tonight's episode is from Drogheda, last weeks was from Bettystown and one of last year's was from Dunleer, would it be fair to say that this triangle has the highest concentration of ****e business people in Ireland?

I suppose it might be indicative that the area has the most people interested in making changes to their businesses and willing to avail of some pretty much free nationwide publicity? Fair play to them for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The stuff done last night should've been done at the initial merger.

Not a huge amount done - I'd say it's more about the publicity/free advertising from the show....wonder what their prices are like - Drogheda is not a million miles away from me... (you see! It's worked!)

Ps. The nude paintings were just about "ok" imo, but that table!!!!!

• Advertisement

Anyone watching tonight? €50,000 to play with, jaysus!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I'm shocked...craziest idea yet. Giving out €1,000 in cash

redved wrote: »
    I'm shocked...craziest idea yet. Giving out €1,000 in cash

Crazy sh1t. I mean why not give €10 voucher off a €100 purchase or something? I know I for one would take the money and run!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Anyone watching tonight? €50,000 to play with, jaysus!

Big money!!!!!!!!!

Jaysis and then some weeks he worries he doesn't have enough for wages :confused:

amdublin wrote: »
    Big money!!!!!!!!!

Jaysis and then some weeks he worries he doesn't have enough for wages :confused:

My thoughts exactly! Going by the lovely house and the oul iPad I'd imagine he's not on the breadline, but you'd wonder where he came up with that figure. Haven't most of the business owners given closer to 5 or 10 grand as a budget?

Hmm. I don't know many couples who are getting married who don't already have their house and furniture...

Why did they (mcnulty's) not bring in the expert from the start (rather than norah sending in later)?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Cosmo2013

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but do any of you know if there is a thread for the London concert that's on rte1. Ive looked everywhere. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

They are always lined up to fail, Nora is no help, just criticises to camera when they do something wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Just switched on - what's the name of this place?

Advertisement