Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Local Property Tax and Local Authority Tenant Housing

Options
  • 20-03-2013 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭

Hi

I would be very grateful if someone could please help me. I received my letter from the Revenue Commissioners this morning advising me what property tax I'm due to pay. Now my problem is I live in Local Authority Housing for which I pay rent every week. I was under the impression that I was exempt from this tax and I'm not a home owner (although I know the Council will get the money from us in some form and probably more than the tax, but that's another story)

Anyway, I read through the list of exemptions on the booklet they sent me and it does not state anything about local authority tenants. Now am I being stupid and not seeing the obvious or are we as tenants liable for this tax. Any thoughts would be appreciated. A copy of the booklet I received is available here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/local-property-tax-guide.pdf

Page 10 has the list of exemptions.

Thanks in advance :confused::confused::eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You are not the owner so you are not liable.
    The Revenue did say that there were going to be a few wrong letters going out.
    You need to contact the Revenue to tell them who owns the house . There is a section in the booklet about what to do if you are not the owner.

Ogham wrote: »
    You are not the owner so you are not liable.
    The Revenue did say that there were going to be a few wrong letters going out.
    You need to contact the Revenue to tell them who owns the house . There is a section in the booklet about what to do if you are not the owner.

Thank you Ogham, I have since rang my local council, I've just filled in their name on the "person liable" slot and sent it back to Limerick. Hopefully that sorts out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Local authority housing is not exempt, but the tenant is not liable. The local authority can however add it to your rent. But the house will be valued in the lowest band i.e. €45 tax this year, €90 next year

I gather Tim you have nothing to say on the matter :D:D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Who is liable to pay LPT (the “Liable Person”)

Local authorities or social housing organisations that own and provide social housing

This is taken from page 3 of the guide :

So , as said above , I would send it back with the Landlords name on it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I gather Tim you have nothing to say on the matter :D:D:pac:

Sorry the font was set to white.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Local authority housing is not exempt, but the tenant is not liable. The local authority can however add it to your rent. But the house will be valued in the lowest band i.e. €45 tax this year, €90 next year

My mother got one of these forms also despite living in a house rented from the council. The value of property tax was €119 though, not €45. Does anyone know if putting the council down as house owner will suffice? I thought from a quick read of the form & accompanying leaflet that a letter to the revenue stating that the house is rented & who from and evidence to back it up was required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Are you saying that every property rented from local authority will be valued in the lowest band ?? Where does it say this.

FonE wrote: »
    My mother got one of these forms also despite living in a house rented from the council. The value of property tax was €119 though, not €45. Does anyone know if putting the council down as house owner will suffice? I thought from a quick read of the form & accompanying leaflet that a letter to the revenue stating that the house is rented & who from and evidence to back it up was required.
    FonE, I just put down Wicklow County Council as owner and sent it back, let them come back to me if that's not sufficient. Seriously all county council sites are well mapped, so I don't forsee a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement