Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet and Static IPs

Options
  • 20-03-2013 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

I've came to the realisation that it is impossible to setup static IPs on the Telsey router that Magnet supplies.

My solution is to disable the wireless on this (by pressing a button on the front) and connect an old router to it - A Netgear WGR614v7 - Router

I can then hopefully use the Netgear to setup static addresses on this rather than relying on the Telsey.

Does this sound like a sensible approach?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That will mean double NAT which will come back to haunt you. You only want one router. http://gee.is/2012/07/26/double-nat-explained-and-possible-solutions/

What is wrong with adding the static IP's on the end devices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

True.

I just seem to have problems anytime I attempt to setup static ips, maybe I just need to start fresh this evening.

The main thing is that I want to setup a Popcorn Hour (essentially a NAS) using a Static IP so I can map the drive on my laptop and desktop. I can setup the static ip and map the network drive but then my Popcorn Hour loses connectivity to the outside world and I then can run the torrent client on it.

What would cause this?

The thing is I can't access the router webpage and I have heard that even if I do that Magnet have these almost completely locked down from customer changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

This seems to have caused problems for other people too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57428012

These seems to be the suggestions but I'm not sure if they are sensible solution:
    You just need to plug the Telsey box into a wireless router through the WAN or Internet Connection port on your router, not the LAN connection.

Then when you connect to and access your router admin page in the normal way, usually 192.168.2.1 in a browser, you can see it says "connected". It picks up the internet connection as if it was a modem plugged into a router. You do need the router though, cant access the magnet box directly at all.

Once you have your router and magnet box working together (which doesnt even require a username or password, just plug it into your router), you can then hook up ethernet hard drives and NAS or DAS boxes to the router and access them normally through your router IP instead of the magnet IP which is something like 87.198.58.*

Make sure you connect to your router and not the magnet box when searching for networks wirelessly and in some cases you might need to remove the magnet preset from the preferred list so it automatically connects to your spare router instead of the magnet box.
    you prob don’t need this info now but anyway, what I did was connected the netopia Router to the magnet disable the DSL port on the netopia and connected them together by using the crossover cable, then configured the netopia with the dns of the magnet box and used the dhcp on the netopia to give my pc a static address if you want more help pm me

This is exactly what is happening to me:
    Nope that doesn't work - just manually assigned the PC an IP (10.0.0.XXX and then 87.198.25.XY as opposed to the automatically assigned IP 87.198.25.XX) and lost internet connectivity. Any IP other than manually entering the exact same number as that automatically assigned results in lost connectivity.

Advertisement