Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting 1st bike.... Hopefully

• 20-03-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Passed all the theory stuff and sent away for permit shouldn't be too much longer and then I'll be doing the ibt straight away.

As I'll end up having to spend a bit of money upfront for gear and bike, was wondering of anyone could recommend a reasonably priced bike for a novice starting out, will be looking to get a full a licence also.

As you can imagine I don't have a fortune to spend and I suppose I would be hoping for somewhere between 1000 and 1500,would that be a realistic expectation lads?

Or will I have to start saving some more and wait for another few months to get started?

I've been looking around and haven't seen to many reasonably priced 125 or 250, maybe I've been looking in the wrong places though, any tops or advice gratefully received.

Or should I be looking at maybe getting a 600 that's restricted?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

With your momey i will be looking on honda cb400 superfour..without even thinking. But thats my call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

You need to give a bit more info to get the advice you need.
    What age are you ?
    16-17 yrs = a1
    18-23 yrs = a2
    24 yrs + = A unrestricted

What would you be using the bike for ?
    Are you tall or small
    etc

I suggest that you do the IBT on a school bike and they supply the gear, before you make any decision on what to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

You need to give a bit more info to get the advice you need.
    What age are you ?
    16-17 yrs = a1
    18-23 yrs = a2
    24 yrs + = A unrestricted

What would you be using the bike for ?
    Are you tall or small
    etc

I suggest that you do the IBT on a school bike and they supply the gear, before you make any decision on what to get.

Just under 5 11'' and 29 yrs old. Would be mostly commuting about 60 mile round trip a day, and also travelling down the country at least once a week sometimes twice, it's about a 400km round trip for the country spin.

Cheers for the help so far lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

srdb20 wrote: »

Or should I be looking at maybe getting a 600 that's restricted?

You can go for any bike you want with your A learner permit so get the idea of restrictions out of your head.

I'd recommend waiting until you have your IBT done before buying, get an idea for what kind of bike would suit you.

Figure out what bikes you like the look of. Go to www.cycle-ergo.com and see if you like the look of the riding position. When you have IBT done you can test drive to your hearts content until you find the right bike. For your commute I'd be aiming higher than a 250 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Vikings wrote: »

You can go for any bike you want with your A learner permit so get the idea of restrictions out of your head.

I'd recommend waiting until you have your IBT done before buying, get an idea for what kind of bike would suit you.

Figure out what bikes you like the look of. Go to www.cycle-ergo.com and see if you like the look of the riding position. When you have IBT done you can test drive to your hearts content until you find the right bike. For your commute I'd be aiming higher than a 250 anyway.

That's brilliant news, cause I've noticed that all the 125 and 250 bikes seem to be a lot more expensive and retain their value more.

Would a 600cc bike crease me on insurance???

Would ya have any recommendations of reliable, good economy bikes in that category that I can check out? Kinda prefer the sportier looking bikes if that helps

Thanks lads very helpful stuff so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I picked up a cracking cb400 superfour 1994. Great bike and as lads will tell you its very reliable. I picked it up for 1000 euro. My first insurance was 520 euro tpft which I thought was quite good with carole & nash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Get a bike without an (R) in the title and you will do alot better with insurance GSXR, ZZR, CBR etc. Many a very good starter bike out there, in fact there are numerous threads in here detailing the best bikes to start on.

Have a look at the CB500F, Honda Hornet, FZ6 and if you like the bent over sports style SV650.

Advertisement