Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configuring VPN on Windows Server 2008 with no DHCP

Options
  • 20-03-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Background
    I have a cloud based virtual machine from my client's hosting company Blacknight. The sole purpose of the VM instance is for the clients public facing ASP.net web site.

The VM instance had just a bare installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 on it and I installed the following:
    • IIS

• Network Policy and Access Server
      [color][size]
      [/size][/color]
    • MSSQL 2012

I am able to remote desktop and connect to MSSQL remotely as I have opened the respective firewall ports via the hosting company control panel firewall.

Recently, I have noticed that there is a group of computers with IP addresses all over the world attempting to brute-force the Administrator and sa account. I subsequently disabled both of those accounts as a precaution and do not plan on re-enabling them. However, the repeated brute force continues on these accounts.

I tried to set up VPN access on the Windows Server but can not get it working. I followed the tutorials: here and here and here..

When I try to connect via VPN I notices the following messages in the event viewer:

Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private IP Address 169.254.xxx.xx will be assigned to dial-in clients. Clients may be unable to access resources on the network.

This indicates that DHCP was not installed. When I go to install DHCP I am presented with so many options it is beyond me.

So, my questions is: Since I have a working live client ASP.net application running on the VM instance with a fixed IP (4x.2x.13x.xx) /www.clientssite.com. Will installing the DHCP role potentially mess-up / take down the live site? Will DHCP keep my site working under IIS and I can just create the DHCP with a range of something like 10.9.8.10 to 10.9.8.50 ? Is this likely to fix my VPN connection issue which is the ultimate goal.

Do Blacknight have any tutorials/instructions for setting VPN up on one of their Windows cloud VMs?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I've asked one of our technical team to have a look at this query.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I've checked with our support team - if you open a ticket and reference this thread they should be able to assist you

Advertisement