Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pets for child's party?

Options
  • 20-03-2013 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Does anyone know of any mobile party entertainers that come with pets? I am based near Limerick. I have been told by a friend that her child was at a party in Galway city where someone came to the house with animals but I've been googling without much success. Most seem to be based near Dublin. The animals don't have to be exotic, just animals that can be petted/stroked/held. My soon to be 7 year old is animal crazy and she would love that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

First question is if there are other kids that are invited are they comfortable around animals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jumbledideas

Good question, I suppose I can make it clear on the invitation that there will be animals at the party ( if we can find any!) and let their parents make the decision if they want to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

yeah but now you need to consider if your child has a best friend who's afraid of animals does she not come to the party?

Personally I'd avoid the animals altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Baybay

It might be fun for the children but, to me, it sounds horrific for the animals. Is such a business allowed to exist legitimately?

• Advertisement

yeah but now you need to consider if your child has a best friend who's afraid of animals does she not come to the party?

Personally I'd avoid the animals altogether

Well, that's your choice. I do know my daughter's best friends who have come with us to pet farms before, with their parents's permission, and haven't had a problem with the animals. Two of her best friends have pets at home. So I don't think there will be a problem with her best friends, and, like I said, the other parents can make their own decisions.
    Baybay wrote: »
    It might be fun for the children but, to me, it sounds horrific for the animals. Is such a business allowed to exist legitimately?

Horrific for rabbits etc to be petted by a small number of children at a supervised party? I think that might rule out most petting farms. I certainly wouldn't want anything that might be cruel for an animal but I wouldnt consider this cruel.

But each to their own opinion, and if anyone had an answer to the original question?

Horrific for rabbits etc to be petted by a small number of children at a supervised party? I think that might rule out most petting farms.

I think there would be a significant difference between animals comfortable in their usual environment, albeit a petting zoo and animals transported for however long and in whatever conditions before being placed with a group of understandably excited children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I saw a notice up in Petmania in Wellpark, Galway about pets for childrens parties. if you ring the shop they could provide you with more info

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What about taking a trip to the Donkey Sanctuary, it's not too far from Co. Limerick

http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie/

We've been to the donkey sanctuary before, actually just three months ago- I wouldn't recommend it tbh based on our experience, the donkeys are very far away from the visitors and have no interest in interaction. But maybe that's just the time of year we went.

We've also been to lots of pet farms around, our favourite is Turoe and it would be great to have a party at a pet farm but the problem is that they are all a little bit too far away and we can't expect the parents of the other children to bring them so far to a party.

Anyway it doesn't seem like having animals at a party is doable, so on to plan B ( once I think of what plan B is!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

OP another concern is what you would do if one of the children has a reaction when in contact with a particular animal.
    My nephew was at a friends house recently and he picked up their new pet rabbit. All was going well for about 3 minutes and then he had a severe reaction to the fur.
    Luckliy the friend's mum was a nurse and knew what to do and gave him some Clarityn (or however you spell it) and that took the edge off the reaction but his eyes are still swollen and puffy 5 days later.
    Whats odd about this is that my nephew has a pet rabbit and a dog so whatever kind of fur this other rabbit has caused the reaction.
    This could happen at the party and cause lots of hassle for you.

Yikes! That would be terrible.

It's hard to know what to do for a party nowadays- I've had bouncy castles before but frankly, the way the children throw themselves around on them would terrify you so I wouldn't have a bouncy castle again.

Between all of her friends, neighbours, relations and classmates I think we've 'done' just about every party centre there is around! And she's only going to be 7...

I think I might go back to a good old fashioned party with lots of party games, pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey, musical chairs etc. The animal idea is just because she is so mad about animals herself, she is going through that 'I want to be a vet when I grow up' phase.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Yikes! That would be terrible.

It's hard to know what to do for a party nowadays- I've had bouncy castles before but frankly, the way the children throw themselves around on them would terrify you so I wouldn't have a bouncy castle again.

Between all of her friends, neighbours, relations and classmates I think we've 'done' just about every party centre there is around! And she's only going to be 7...

I think I might go back to a good old fashioned party with lots of party games, pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey, musical chairs etc. The animal idea is just because she is so mad about animals herself, she is going through that 'I want to be a vet when I grow up' phase.:D

Its not what you want all right. Thankfully my nephew is fine but it just goes to show you never know what you're going to get. Whats the old showbiz adage "never work with children or animals":D

Have you been to Jumpzone? Its an indoor trampoline park in Sandyford. I took the aforementioned nephew (9) and his sisters (11 and 6) there a couple of weeks ago and they had a ball. They cater for birthday parties too.

The old fashioned party can't be beaten though IMHO. They were the standard for me and my siblings and I loved them and have great memories from my birthdays.
    You could have face painting of animals or ask each of the guests to make and wear an animal mask to the party if you want to bring your daughter's interests into the party theme.
    I help out my sister at the kids birthday party and its always simple but the kids love it.
    Arrive for 2pm, have games lined up (those you mentioned, top model, blind mans buff, statues), oven chips and homemade nuggets/ whatever, cake, little play around, party bag (i.e. fun size treat, slice of birthday cake, little toy like a yo yo or such) and home.
    Clean up and a glass of wine/ cup of tea for the adults left standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

First question is if there are other kids that are invited are they comfortable around animals?

Whilst I understand your point, I also think that the party should be about the birthday girl and if she wants animals then she should be allowed them. Any kids who are scared can just not go near them. Our local pet store brings along 'exotic' animals such as snakes and some kids won't go near them - but they still come to the party and enjoy watching.

On the animal welfare note, it depends on the animals and the handlers - and the age of the children, I would think? (Rabbits are vicious btw :D) Some animals love attention!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Would Stonehall be too far for you? They cater for kids parties and are based near Curraghchase. http://www.stonehallvisitorfarm.ie/facilities.html

Otherwise there is Imecofarm in Clarecastle, http://www.imecofarm.com/

Thanks for all the responses, yes Stonehall is lovely ( due to our daughters absolute love of all things animal, I think we have been to all the pet farms in Limerick, Cork, Galway and Kerry!) but I think just a bit too far.

I think we are giving up on the animal party idea, there are just too many things against it- and I really wouldn't want any animals to suffer due to a bit of selfishness on my part, and I know my daughter wouldn't either.

Sometimes as a parent you just want the moon and the stars for your children, when really they'd be just as happy with something much more mundane...:o

Maybe an alternative to having real animals at the party could be to have the children dress up & arrive as their favourite animal. Nothing extravagant or expensive but it might be fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

OP have you heard of Animal Magic, they are based in Kilmallock and do parties, school visits etc. they used to come to my primary school around once a year when I was a kid and we loved it, they are extremely professional, they also rehabilitate sick and injured wildlife so they have the animals best interests at heart.

http://www.animalmagic.ie/index.php?cmsID=424

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I think going to a petting farm, the zoo etc would be a better idea. I've never heard of these mobile places which doesn't sound good at all. As someone else said I find it a bit cruel for animals to be carted around the country for small children's entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jackbrad

Sounds a fab idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

http://reptilevillage.net/web/zoo-to-you/birthday-communion-confirmation-and-much-more/

these guys are very well respected in the reptile community in ireland

Advertisement