Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pdge in languages

Options
  • 20-03-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a bit of feedback on this course. Im waiting at the moment to (hopefully!) be called for an interview. Im a student in UCC and nobody, down here anyway, seems to know anything about it. I have a friend who did the course a few years ago and the numbers were quite small. I presuming that it has grown since then. Could anyone fill me in? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I did the undergraduate version of this, 'Modern Languages with Concurrent Education.' I know many people who have done the PDGE and loved it.

You should email Marie-Therese Batardiere for more info as she is the director and very helpful! If you have any specific questions you can PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 budlia

Thanks so much for the reply! My subject would be Irish though, and I hope I dont sound stereotypical but that lady doesnt seem like she would work for the Irish department! Correct me if Im wrong! :) No specific questions really as I dont really know anything besides the fact that it exists!! Was just looking for general information! Modern Languages with Concurrent Education sounds interesting too!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Oh I just checked and Orla McCormack is the new director! Try mailing her :)
    Regardless of your subject, Gaeilge, English as a second language, French, German, Japanese or Spanish, it will be the same info.

You do all the education lectures and tutorials together, along with the other PDGE students and then you break into separate departments depending on your language speciality. You go on 2 separate placements, one day a week before Christmas and then a block after Christmas. In terms of language you learn how to teach your language and different strategies of how to use your language in the classroom. In terms of education you learn how to plan and for teaching and learning as well as education policy issues. TP is very intense but it can be as uplifting as draining. If you want to be a teacher you'll love this course, if you're getting into teaching for the wrong reasons you'll lose all motivation and hate it.

PS. Irish is a great subject to get into teaching at the moment. One of the only subjects with jobs at he moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 budlia

To be honest I dont really want to be contacting them because I have done so already - a lot!! But thanks so much for that, that's loads of info! Everyone keeps telling me that Irish will get me a job, to be honest I am not so confident with it, but hopefully all that will change!! The thoughts though of actually getting into a classroom are quite exciting though after years of listening to lecturers and wondering 'when will I ever use this??!' :)

Advertisement