Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninja Gaiden 3:Razors Edge

Options
  • 20-03-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

So, the formerly Wii U exclusive NG 3: Razors Edge is coming to Xbox and PS3 in early April. There's a demo up now on XBL and PSN.

I'm a big fan of the series and eventually cracked and bought NG3 and while it's not the worst game I've ever played it just wasn't Ninja Gaiden.

I tried the demo and it tries to correct a few of the major issues. Ultimate technique is back (but no essence for instant on landing charges :( ), obliterations have been added and delimbing returns from NG2.
    More weapons have been added, lunar, dual katanas and my personal favourite the Kusari-Gama.:D

The biggest issue is that it still doesn't feel as responsive as the other NG games, counters don't work properly, there's a delay on when the evade/slide comes out and the guillotine throw feels unreliable as to when it'll actually connect.

Having said all that I'll still be getting it, it's fun to play to a certain extent and is going to be relatively cheap.

Has anyone played the Wii U version or have any interest in the series anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Been waiting for this myself since the rumours of it's release started circulating back around Christmas time. I skipped the original version of the 3rd one completely because of all the things I'd heard about it being so different. I tried the demo a few months ago and it felt like it was missing so much compared to the previous two games (which I just ran through again before Christmas)

The new demo for the Razors Edge version does seem a whole ton of fun better so I'll definitely be getting the full release when it comes out at the start of next month. I got my ass kicked in the demo but it never felt cheap or unfair, just the usual Ninja Gaiden feeling of "damn, I suck" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Will have to get a crack at the demo when I've time (haven't even got at the Revengeance demo and it's been out for like a month now).

Really disliked NG2 and wrote 3 off altogether from word of mouth but after 2 updates it might be worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I got this a few days ago and have to admit I'm really enjoying it. The combat is more fluid than the demo and the overall feel of the game is much more like the NG of old.

Playing withhte Lunar and Dual Katanas is really fun and i am looking forward to seeing how the Kusari-Gama has been implemented.

The story is still stunningly bad but seeing the below outfit in the scenes where he's talking to the kid is priceless :pac:

08-ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-27.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I cracked this game open last night to give it a go. I'm a bit late to the party as always.

Anyway I enjoyed it so much that I had to stop playing because my right thumb was getting sore. It's not a patch on NG1 and 2 but the combat is still a lot of fun, especially once you learn to dash behind enemies that guard a lot. There's some pretty good boss battles as well.

Unfortunately there's still a few hangovers from the original game. Too many QTE's mostly. Still for the price it goes for now it's worth a play if you are all out of hardcore 3rd person brawlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So I cracked this game open last night to give it a go. I'm a bit late to the party as always.

Anyway I enjoyed it so much that I had to stop playing because my right thumb was getting sore. It's not a patch on NG1 and 2 but the combat is still a lot of fun, especially once you learn to dash behind enemies that guard a lot. There's some pretty good boss battles as well.

Unfortunately there's still a few hangovers from the original game. Too many QTE's mostly. Still for the price it goes for now it's worth a play if you are all out of hardcore 3rd person brawlers.
    Interesting! I'd read that it improved on the original release massively but that it still wasn't a patch on the previous games. After playing the demo I had completely written it off but that news was enough to make me at least consider picking it up at some stage. I suppose I'll add it back to the list then for like, science or something.

On the subject of earth shatteringly disappointing brawlers, did you ever give DMC a proper go after that demo? I was under the impression things improved considerably with post-release patches?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it's not a patch on the previous two but its still a lot of fun. There's still some annoyances there are the ultimate techniques effectiveness has been reduced an awful lot since you can't absorb essence to get instant charges.

As for DMC it wasn't terrible. The combat system was decent enough but again not a patch on the originals and 30 FPS really hurt it. There was loads I didn't like though. The story and writing were thrash and the boss battles were awful. What killed it for me was when the enemies arrived that were vulnerable to just one weapon. It ruined the whole free form combat system that was pretty good by forcing the player to use certain weapons and removing choice. I ended up not bothering with it since I had better games to play.

Well it's not a patch on the previous two but its still a lot of fun. There's still some annoyances there are the ultimate techniques effectiveness has been reduced an awful lot since you can't absorb essence to get instant charges.

As for DMC it wasn't terrible. The combat system was decent enough but again not a patch on the originals and 30 FPS really hurt it. There was loads I didn't like though. The story and writing were thrash and the boss battles were awful. What killed it for me was when the enemies arrived that were vulnerable to just one weapon. It ruined the whole free form combat system that was pretty good by forcing the player to use certain weapons and removing choice. I ended up not bothering with it since I had better games to play.
    Let me rephrase, this is what happened when I played the demo. In the end, it was the shallow nature of the combat compared to the previous iterations that got me. I can ignore the piss poor writing and the frame rate drop (gona grab it on the PC anyway) but if the combat hasn't improved post-patch then I'm happy to continue ignoring it and work through the rest of my backlog for now.

Well I'd go with Razor's Edge over it. The combat is far more satisfying and poses a real challenge. It's not perfect but if you want some more Ninja Gaiden then it will tide you over. DMC has a pretty decent combat system that you can do some good combos off of but the game then kind of ruins that later when the colour coded enemies force the combat system to be less free form.

The dialogue gets no better though unless you like listening to Dante talk about how big his dick is.

Well I'd go with Razor's Edge over it. The combat is far more satisfying and poses a real challenge. It's not perfect but if you want some more Ninja Gaiden then it will tide you over. DMC has a pretty decent combat system that you can do some good combos off of but the game then kind of ruins that later when the colour coded enemies force the combat system to be less free form.
    Aye, I've seen you mention the issues with the elemental-based combat later in the game, pity. Noted though, I'll give NG3 a whack next then, cheers. :)
    The dialogue gets no better though unless you like listening to Dante talk about how big his dick is.
    Ah, nice to see it picks up after the demo so. :pac:

Advertisement