Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post deleted from Motorcycle forum

Options
  • 20-03-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

I have recently had a post deleted in the Motorcycle forum. The post was to draw attention to a kickstarter from a guy who has travelled around the world on a small C90 motorcycle. He is trying to raise funds to get a DVD made of his travels.

The post was deleted as spam, however a simple search on boards.ie will show that lots of people post up details of kickstarters, none of which where considered spam? I have messaged the Mod with these facts, his reply was that he will have them deleted as well? (A search will show pages of them btw.)

If the rule applies to everyone then fair enough, however in this case it clearly doesnt? Kickstarter seems to be an excellent social tool, I cant see how its considered spam?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP, since this isn't DRP related.

As for Kickstarters being considered spam, if they're self-promotional it's spam by default, mod discretion not withstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I am the mod who delete the thread.

I did not see how it contributed to the forum, or how the post was in any way trying to start a discussion about this person or his trip.

To me the post/thread was only put up to get people to donate money to someone doing a trip on a bike.
    If we allowed that, where would it end? Could I ask for donations for a weekend away, as long as I post a video on utube?

In the post it was even requested that other posters post this on other forums, which lead me to believe the OP was lookin for as much exposure as possible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

P.C., don't forget that Helpdesk replies are pre-moderated.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Hmmm strange reply from a moderator. A kickstarter is a kickstarter, its designed to raise money for a clear objective.

The guy has done his trip already, he's looking to get a dvd made. If people donated they get a copy of the finished article etc.

I really dont see the difference in this and other kickstarters that are linked all over the place on boards.ie?

Maybe the mod doesnt consider travels on a C90 as proper motorcycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi TheFairy,

For what it's worth, I agreed with P.C's decision. I'm sure there probably are other threads across Boards with Kickstarter campaigns for various things mentioned in threads. However, each case has to be taken on its own merits. Your post was essentially "This guy is trying to raise money to make a DVD. Maybe sub a few quid to his Kickstarter if you're interested. Spread the word to other forums"

There is very little scope for discussion and it appeared that the only reason for posting was to help that guy raise money for his DVD. Perhaps if you had asked the mods first, some acceptable guidelines might have been agreed upon to allow you to post it. Either way, I support P.C's decision.

• Advertisement

Yes but subbing got you a copy of the movie in electronic format or a copy of the DVD. IE you get something in return.

Yes maybe my wording could have been different, but all he had to do was ask for clarification, or follow the link? Motorcycing is synonymous with travel, surely the post was at home there?

This link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056900832 is about the Veronica Mars movie, and it has a link to a Kickstarter to make the movie. There is no difference in this and what I posted bar the size of the project.

Sorry guys but this just doesnt make any sense to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The main difference between the Veronica Mars one and the one you posted is that Veronica Mars is a well-established tv show with an existing fan base. As such, there would be a greater number of people who would be interested in it.

The one you posted is essentially some random guy most people probably haven't heard of trying to raise money to make a DVD of himself.

Again, I see no reason to disagree with P.C 's decision. If you want, you may request for an Admin to have a look over this and see if they can provide further clarification or decide if your thread should have been allowed.

Regards,
    Penn

Can an admin review please. What has the size of the fan base to do with it? There are forums on boards here with really niche interests, however they still exist.

There is no difference here in what I posted up and the V Mars post. They both serve the same purpost at the end of the day!

Guys I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just do not get where you are coming from. Most biker forums tend to be very dismissive of certain types of bike and biker. I just hope thats not what I am seeing here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

TheFairy wrote: »
    Guys I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just do not get where you are coming from. Most biker forums tend to be very dismissive of certain types of bike and biker. I just hope thats not what I am seeing here?
    Is there something exceptional about a C90 bike, that would differenciate this guys trip from some dude who just wants someone else to fund the production costs of a DVD of his deadly trip?

Forget the free DVD - why should this guys request be allowed be pimped? The mods on Boards are bombarded with posters hoping to use the userbase to further their causes. I'm not seeing how this guy deserves a platform over many who are told to take it elsewhere?

Link us up there to other kickstarters that have been deleted or removed, thanks.

• Advertisement

Hello?

Hello?
    Hello. Forget other forums - I asked some questions earlier you never responded to.

Apologies, hadnt noticed the reply on this, stopped checking after 2 weeks.

The C90 is a tiny lightweight bike. To undertake a journey of more than 100 miles is somewhat of an undertaking, so to have ridden it back from Malaysia is huge!

So having answered your questions could you answer mine? Thanks.

Look, I can't get past the fact that the guy is (was) essentially raising money to make a DVD of his trip. And tbh I'm content to go with the judgement of the forum mod.

There are other kickstarters mentioned in other forums, and each case will be different. There are also threads deleted that you never see. Each case is for the mods of those forums to decide if it's something they are happy for Boards to promote.

In other news I see this guy has reached his target, so at least he's sorted. :)

I think you are missing the point on this one, though tbh I felt like I was flogging a dead horse from the start.

Adventure motorcycling is a growing scene. There are loads of people doing trips and making DVD's. Ed March done it on a shoestring and video'd it. He then realised his footage was fantastic and put up a kick starter to have it made into a proper DVD. This wasn't a charity effort, if you put money in you got a DVD.

Initially this was refused because it was a kickstarter, even though there are countless kickstarters linked all over boards. Heres one to have a movie made http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83918352. There is no difference in this and what I posted.

If you are going to delete mine then you should delete all similar kickstarters and make a rule advising everyone they cant link kickstarters. You are not making any sense unless its the same for everyone.

If you are going to delete mine then you should delete all similar kickstarters and make a rule advising everyone they cant link kickstarters. You are not making any sense unless its the same for everyone.
    I'm sorry, no. If you think applying one rule across all forums with no reference to context works - then you haven't visited enough forums around here. Boards works because each forum can - to a point - determine what's acceptable and what isn't. Sure there are rules that apply to every forum (e.g. don't be a dick) but when it comes to deciding what to allow, our mods have some degree of discretion. Again - there are threads about kickstarter projects that mods see no merit in and have deleted that you never see.

We're going around in circles now. I'm sorry you thought you were flogging a dead horse, but maybe it's time now to let him RIP.

(Edit - marking this as "resolved" - though I'm aware that term probably doesn't fit here).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement