Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for part of a month

Options
  • 20-03-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

When I was viewing a house one estate agent said: You can even move in next week and pay for half a month and then pay the full amount from the start of next month. While this was correct and fair as we spoke on the 10th, she made it sound like she was doing me a favour by not charging for a full month.
    Do landlords ever ask for a full months rent to cover part of a month?

Comments

She meant that your monthly rent would then be due on the 1st of each month rather than the 17th of each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

She was doing you a favour! The norm would be for a rental month to start when you get the keys and sign the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

She wasn't doing you a favour, nor was she doing you a diservice.

Lets say the rent was E1000 a month, and there are 4 weeks in a month. She is saying that instead of waiting until the 1st of april to move in (ie pay e1000 on the 1st of april for that month, you could instead move in on the 17th of march (or the last week of march) and pay e250 for that week, then on the 1st of april pay e1000 for april.

She was giving you the option to move in next week, but to have your rent due date as the 1st of the month.

You're still paying for the week in march

Full rent begins on 1st of April

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

djimi wrote: »
    She was doing you a favour! The norm would be for a rental month to start when you get the keys and sign the lease.

she wasnt doing a favour she was looking to pro rata the rent for the remainder of the month. I dont think she meant it as a favour either though I think thats just the OP's interpretation of it.

Honestly though I just cannot fathom this beginning of the month crap. Move in on the 17th pay monthly on the 17th whats wrong with that ? Why people make things complicated for the sake of it is beyond me.

Sorry, I just meant doing a favour in that she wasnt insisting on first full months rent and deposit up as a lot of people would.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    Honestly though I just cannot fathom this beginning of the month crap. Move in on the 17th pay monthly on thr 17th whats wrong with that ? Why people make things complicated for the sake of it is beyond me.

The only thing I can see is that the 17th would be close to payday for a lot of people, but probably a week or so before it. Not that it makes much difference either way; the money has to be kept for the rent regardless, but perhaps some people would prefer the rent to come out when they know there are plenty of funds in the account rather than when it might be a bit bare. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

djimi wrote: »
    The only thing I can see is that the 17th would be close to payday for a lot of people, but probably a week or so before it. Not that it makes much difference either way; the money has to be kept for the rent regardless, but perhaps some people would prefer the rent to come out when they know there are plenty of funds in the account rather than when it might be a bit bare. Just a thought.

I know what you mean, but you would hope that people are responsible enough to not spend their rent. Mind you there are a lot of irresponsible people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Most people are paid at the end of the month. It just makes budgeting handier for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

They way I took it was that she was emphasising it as an advantage over other houses. I thought she was going to say you can have the 2 weeks rent free to get settled. But then she said "and just pay for the 2 weeks" I was thinking, well yes, I'm hardly going to pay more than that. Especially since I told her I have my current place to the end of the month.

As people have said, maybe the advantage was that I wouldn't need the full amount upfront.

Advertisement