Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Lego

• 20-03-2013 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

This has probably been asked loads of times before so apologies if it has

Will be starting to buy lego soon for my son so wondering where the cheapest place generally to buy it would be? I am in Cork but needless to say shop online also

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

ShadowHearth i am suse will try his best to answer this question for you, as he is down that direction.
    for myself i just drop into the 2 shops in Galway that stock a decent selection, every now and then just see what the "special" offers are.
    you can pick up some items that was at decent prices, also currently Tesco have 3 different sets with 1/3 off. the fire truck for 18 euro would be a good one to start with.
    but i did notice that the vampire castle in Smiths in galway (set 9468??) was reduced to 66 euro currently, not sure what age you are buying for, but interesting interesting set for a kid and its a fairly good price. checked price on Amazon and its 60 sterling at the moment, so not that great of a price i suspose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Online it is cheaper in general, though you did do get good sales in Big tescos or argos now and then.

I personally buy 99% online.

http://shop.lego.com/en-IE/

This is official Lego website. All the prices are RRP. You can get any current new set in there. Problem with Lego.com is that they charge flat 11eu postage fee. Its grand if you buy big or a lot of sets, but it is annoying if you want only a small set.

http://www.brickset.com/buy/amazon/

In this website you can choose, which themes you want. It will scan all amazon websites and show you the prices and how much cheaper or more expensive those are compared to RRP. I find amazon.co.uk to be best place to buy lego as they do have often sales and almost all Lego is free shiping.

http://www.toys.ie/brands/LEGO/126727.aspx

Smyths will sell Lego online too, but not all sets. Prices are not the best and they charge for delivery too.

lostboy75 wrote: »
    ShadowHearth i am suse will try his best to answer this question for you, as he is down that direction.
    for myself i just drop into the 2 shops in Galway that stock a decent selection, every now and then just see what the "special" offers are.
    you can pick up some items that was at decent prices, also currently Tesco have 3 different sets with 1/3 off. the fire truck for 18 euro would be a good one to start with.
    but i did notice that the vampire castle in Smiths in galway (set 9468??) was reduced to 66 euro currently, not sure what age you are buying for, but interesting interesting set for a kid and its a fairly good price. checked price on Amazon and its 60 sterling at the moment, so not that great of a price i suspose

Hehe, cheers. Though Cork is not the greatest place to get Lego!

I did forgot to mention "Arts and Hobby" shops, one in Douglas is not bad at all, but again, not the cheapest place to get stuff, unless you want to get some older sets, which usually are still RRP or a bit higher.
    Argos.ie is hit and miss. Need to check it online, before going there. most of the time its out of stock.
    Mahom Point Tesco is useless. Few small sets and higher prices.
    The Smyths in Patrick street are so so. It depends on what you looking for. Prices are high and selection is bad, knowing that it it Toy shop after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Tesco's is brilliant after Christmas. Last year in Janruary I got Darth Maul's ship for 20euro when the current RRP is over 60Euro. We just stashed it in the attic and pulled it out the following Christmas.

We did the same this year with a Batman set. 25euro with the RRP being 55euro. The problem is remembering that you have them.

seanmacc wrote: »
    Tesco's is brilliant after Christmas. Last year in Janruary I got Darth Maul's ship for 20euro when the current RRP is over 60Euro. We just stashed it in the attic and pulled it out the following Christmas.

We did the same this year with a Batman set. 25euro with the RRP being 55euro. The problem is remembering that you have them.

that is the thing, it is GREAT on Sales, but Sales do not happen 365 days per year ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Thanks alot guys for all the replies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Online it is cheaper in general, though you did do get good sales in Big tescos or argos now and then.

I personally buy 99% online.

http://shop.lego.com/en-IE/

This is official Lego website. All the prices are RRP. You can get any current new set in there. Problem with Lego.com is that they charge flat 11eu postage fee. Its grand if you buy big or a lot of sets, but it is annoying if you want only a small set.

http://www.brickset.com/buy/amazon/

In this website you can choose, which themes you want. It will scan all amazon websites and show you the prices and how much cheaper or more expensive those are compared to RRP. I find amazon.co.uk to be best place to buy lego as they do have often sales and almost all Lego is free shiping.

http://www.toys.ie/brands/LEGO/126727.aspx

Smyths will sell Lego online too, but not all sets. Prices are not the best and they charge for delivery too.

This should be a sticky for people like me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Lego's online store, Shop at Home, isn't the best value because it's €11.99 for shipping - so it only makes sense to buy things that you can't get in stores here (which is a lot, unfortunately). Sign up for the VIP programme and you'll get €5 for every €100 spent - it builds up quickly! Also look out for promotions during the year, occasionally they offer free shipping on orders over a certain amount, and twice a year they run double VIP points promotions (usually in March and in October - the first of 2013 is coming up in a couple of weeks I think).

Shadowheart outlined the main places here in Cork, it's slim pickings alas. Tesco can be fantastic for sales but they're scarce, and stuff goes quickly when they happen. Art and Hobby are decent, I might be imagining it but I think their prices are coming down a bit - most sets I see now are on par with Smyths. Art and Hobby also have a loyalty card, but it's not as generous.

Advertisement