Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium rate SMS: warning

Options
  • 20-03-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

or as I call them "reverse charges SMS"

Does everyone realise how easy it is to accidentally signup for a premium rate sms?

I've been hit for around EUR 12 from a 5xxxx number.

Apparently I clicked a link while browsing the web on my handset which subscribed me to receiving dating texts.

I don't remember clicking a banner but even if I did how did the operator get my mobile phone number 087xxxxxxxx just from me browsing the web?

Answer: my network passed it onto them!

Just a warning for everyone.

I thought that browsing the web on my handset was the same as my desktop (ADSL) but not so. My mobile provider will divilge my real world phone number to websites without my permission

and why will they do this? because they get a slice of the premium rate cost,

what a SCAM!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭28064212

vector wrote: »
    My mobile provider will divilge my real world phone number to websites without my permission
    Bit more detail needed here. How do you know your mobile provider passed it on to them?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

28064212 wrote: »
    Bit more detail needed here. How do you know your mobile provider passed it on to them?

It appears that I accidentally clicked on a banner ad for tarot reading or some one of those things

I immediately clicked the back button, but from that single click my mobile network passed on my number to Zamano, who then sent me texts.

I added their number to my spam filter, so didnt realise they kept on sending them.... bill arrived and Zamano has cost me more than 40 euro.

I certainly NEVER NEVER typed my number 08xxxxxxxx into any form to signup.

My mobile network must have been passed on my mobile company

ComReg say this is allowed, but my mobile company (well their call centre) say they don't.

So warning to all:

Browse the web on wifi, and not on 3g,
    because if you use 3g your mobile company (who get a percentage of premium rate calls/texts revenue) will pass on your details and land you in the sh**

and when they do they wont even refund you, they will ask you to contact the premium rate provider

legislation is needed to stop mobile companies passing on numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭28064212

vector wrote: »
    I immediately clicked the back button, but from that single click my mobile network passed on my number to Zamano, who then sent me texts.
    Have Zamano (or anybody) confirmed this is what happened? A single click on a webpage link? Can you post the link here?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Read the premium sms code of conduct on comreg and complain under that. You should never get hit just for clicking on a link....sure you could be under 18. You must OPT in knowingly.

Zamano are notorious, let comreg deal with tham as you have no contract or agreement with them so why should you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

In February 2010, Zamano was fined £35,000 by PhonePayPlus for breaching its terms and conditions in relation to unsolicited reverse-charge premium rate SMS messages.

See Wiki

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Same happen to me about a year ago. I apparently done the same thing click on some banner and within a couple of seconds got a text to say that I sign up for there service.
    Rang that company and went mad with them over it got a cheque within a week or so scam at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

OP, as wush06 says you just need to contact the provider and tell them you didn't use the service. If they say they have logs to prove otherwise ask them for a copy of the logs and say that you will be making a complaint to comreg.

This happened to me a few years ago just before comreg took over regulation of this and I received a 10 euro note in the post a few days later. I gave out to Vodafone about them allowing a business to charge my mobile bill by just accidentally clicking on a banner advert. Of course their response was that if I had a problem I have to contact the business that charged my bill. Basically the f'cukers wiped their hands off it because they take a nice cut too - but then again that is all mobile operators - its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If you've any problems with PRS contact:

www.phonesmart.ie

Advertisement