Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian help!

Options
  • 20-03-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Ok guys I had a great idea to make something Indian tonight (not necessarily a specific dish, just something.... Indiany :) )
    Grabbed some garam masala in town today thinking I could use it with some chopped tomatos and just throw some other bits and bobs in, but haven't got much in the spice rack that would generally accompany it such as curry powder - could have sworn I had some!!

Anyway this is what I got, has anyone any ideas that I could add to it or a specific way to cook it? I usually just use jars when cooking Indian food so really want to give this a bash.

Here is my list!

Tin of chopped tomatoes
    Pasata
    Tomato paste
    Garlic
    Ground ginger
    Crushed dried chillis
    Chilli paste
    Coconut milk
    Mixed spice
    All spice

Also I have this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gourmet-Kitchen-Handy-Indian-Spice/dp/B004V92V2Q

It has 4 different seasonings - Biryani, tandoori, chicken tikka and rogan josh. Could I use one of those with the garam masala or would it be too much? I hate an overpowering flavor of lots of different spice.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

gg2 wrote: »
    Ok guys I had a great idea to make something Indian tonight (not necessarily a specific dish, just something.... Indiany :) )
    Grabbed some garam masala in town today thinking I could use it with some chopped tomatos and just throw some other bits and bobs in, but haven't got much in the spice rack that would generally accompany it such as curry powder - could have sworn I had some!!

Anyway this is what I got, has anyone any ideas that I could add to it or a specific way to cook it? I usually just use jars when cooking Indian food so really want to give this a bash.

Here is my list!

Tin of chopped tomatoes
    Pasata
    Tomato paste
    Garlic
    Ground ginger
    Crushed dried chillis
    Chilli paste
    Coconut milk
    Mixed spice
    All spice

Also I have this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gourmet-Kitchen-Handy-Indian-Spice/dp/B004V92V2Q

It has 4 different seasonings - Biryani, tandoori, chicken tikka and rogan josh. Could I use one of those with the garam masala or would it be too much? I hate an overpowering flavor of lots of different spice.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Well you could make your own curry paste.
    In a blender, throw in:
    -2 crushed cloves garlic
    -1 tbsp tomato paste
    -1/2 tsp dried chilli (or more if you like it very hot)
    -1/4 tsp ground ginger
    -1/2 tsp chilli paste (again, more if you like it hot)
    -Sprinkle of mixed spice
    -2 tbsp oil

Mix that altogether in the blender for your own curry paste.
    Now, you can make a Jalfrezi (I make it every week) or a Balti.

You'll need an onion, though, so see if you've got one lying around.

Fry the onion in some oil, then add your meat or any chunky veggies.
    Add some crushed garlic, then your curry paste.
    Coat everything, add the tinned tomatoes, OR passata-I wouldn't add both, it'd be too tomatoey.

(If you have any bell peppers, chop them up chunky and throw then in)
    Also throw in a teaspoon of your Indian spice mix.

Season with salt and pepper and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, if you have any, add a little water and bring to the boil.

Simmer for about 40 minutes until it's thickened and serve with rice or naan bread.

Bear in mind, I've just improvised based on your ingredients.

I have my own set of ingredients for my own Jalfrezi, but this should still work.
    Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Thanks a mil! Sounds lovely! Can I throw in some garam masala too - I just love the smell of it!

Deffo have an onion.

Also should I cook the chicken separate and add it in at the end or fry it off in the paste with the onion before adding the chopped tomatos??

gg2 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil! Sounds lovely! Can I throw in some garam masala too - I just love the smell of it!

Deffo have an onion.

Also should I cook the chicken separate and add it in at the end or fry it off in the paste with the onion before adding the chopped tomatos??

Sure, sprinkle about a teaspoon of garam masala in with the tomatoes (or passata), not in the paste.

I would usually fry the onion first, til soft and golden, plus some crushed garlic, then add the chicken, then when that's cooked, add the curry paste.
    Then add the tomatoes and everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

It was delish! Just a little too tomatoey. Won't use the full tin next time.

Threw in a tin of mixed beans as well (had no chick peas) and a few almonds on top....gorgeous

Enough left for tomorrow. Have a feeling it will be even tastier then.

Thanks for your help fussyonion!

So glad it turned out well!

Yeah it's trial and error sometimes-at least next time you'll know not to use the whole tin of tomatoes.

Personally I do add the whole tin to my curry cos I love tomato based curries.
    Fab you added the mixed beans-I add those to my Jalfrezi every week and they provide great texture.

And yes, curries tend to taste nicer the next day :)

Glad to help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement