Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence question

Options
  • 20-03-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've always fished on some well known Salmon rivers but never targeted Salmon or Sea trout for that matter. I'm quite happy scraping with small browns on a 2wt fly rod.

I've always had the Salmon rod licence but I was just wondering do I actually need one? Since I never fish for Salmon or Sea trout? I've only once caught a sea trout as by catch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

You dont need one if you are targeting other fish, especially fly fishing. Now if you were using a ball of worms or a size 3 flying c and pretending to trout fish thats a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

stylie wrote: »
    You dont need one if you are targeting other fish, especially fly fishing. Now if you were using a ball of worms or a size 3 flying c and pretending to trout fish thats a different matter.

Ive always wondered if someone fished for pearch, trout or pike on the moy then would they chased off by the bailiffs because its a big salmon river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Ive always wondered if someone fished for pearch, trout or pike on the moy then would they chased off by the bailiffs because its a big salmon river.

This would apply to more rivers than just the Moy. Generally if you are fishing a stretch of a Salmon river, that contains, and is fished for Salmon, you would have a job convincing anyone you are targeting Pike. Particularly at certain times of the year, and more particularly if you were using a lure like a flying C.
    It looks to me that in your case fishing with a 2wt fly rod targeting Brown Trout, you would make a strong case for not needing a Sal/ST licence, PROVIDED you are not fishing in a part of the river solely associated with Sea Trout.

Bizzum wrote: »

This would apply to more rivers than just the Moy. Generally if you are fishing a stretch of a Salmon river, that contains, and is fished for Salmon, you would have a job convincing anyone you are targeting Pike. Particularly at certain times of the year, and more particularly if you were using a lure like a flying C.
    It looks to me that in your case fishing with a 2wt fly rod targeting Brown Trout, you would make a strong case for not needing a Sal/ST licence, PROVIDED you are not fishing in a part of the river solely associated with Sea Trout.

Dont think the bailiffs on the moy would buy it, SNIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Dont think the bailiffs on the moy would buy it

They have to be in fairness
    It's one of if not the best salmon river in Ireland and poachers from all over Ireland would give it a shot and the whole ' I forgot my licence' or ' didn't know I needed one' excuse wont fly on the moy and shouldn't on any river

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Dont think the bailiffs on the moy would buy it

It's not right to criticise people like this based on what "I've heard".

Bailiffs are just ordinary folks trying to do their jobs. Without bailiffs, angling would be unregulated.

If someone is aware of improper behaviour by bailiffs, they should report it to the proper authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

So in say the upper Liffey, in around Clane and Cellbridge I prob don't need the licence. But in the lower stretches of the Slaney which has a great run of Sea Trout I will need one. The South Eastern One will do so! Save me a few sheckles on the national licence!

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Slasher wrote: »

Bailiffs are just ordinary folks trying to do their jobs. Without bailiffs, angling would be unregulated.

If someone is aware of improper behaviour by bailiffs, they should report it to the proper authority.

They're actually fishery officers, not bailiffs. Bailiff is a derogatory term associated with sheriffs, evictions, etc, and has not been officially used to describe fishery officers for many decades.

Zzippy wrote: »

They're actually fishery officers, not bailiffs. Bailiff is a derogatory term associated with sheriffs, evictions, etc, and has not been officially used to describe fishery officers for many decades.

I have never ever heard anyone call them a fishery officer. Its always been a bailiff to me and everyone ive spoke to, sure have even chatted to a few who call themselves a bailiff so your comment is wrong

Slasher wrote: »

Report it to who. I remember talking to a guy who was asulted by one, he went to make a complaint to the garda and was told to go away. He took it futher and still got nowhere. He went to collect his dole few weeks later and nothing there for him and was told they had information that he was only down from the north to fish. They took it that far and ruined his life for awhile. Youd be suprised at what they can do behind the scenes.

• Advertisement

I have never ever heard anyone call them a fishery officer. Its always been a bailiff to me and everyone ive spoke to, sure have even chatted to a few who call themselves a bailiff so your comment is wrong

Well that's me told! :D

As someone who works as a fishery officer I can assure you I'm not wrong ;)
    Some private waterkeepers may refer to themselves as bailiffs, but its not the correct term.
    Report it to who. I remember talking to a guy who was asulted by one, he went to make a complaint to the garda and was told to go away. He took it futher and still got nowhere. He went to collect his dole few weeks later and nothing there for him and was told they had information that he was only down from the north to fish. They took it that far and ruined his life for awhile. Youd be suprised at what they can do behind the scenes.

Sounds like he was telling you a few porkies. You'd be surprised how little can be done behind the scenes...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Why don't we just call them fish cops?

Well that's me told! :D

As someone who works as a fishery officer I can assure you I'm not wrong ;)
    Some private waterkeepers may refer to themselves as bailiffs, but its not the correct term.

Sounds like he was telling you a few porkies. You'd be surprised how little can be done behind the scenes...

Whats the difference between a fishery officer and a water keeper and where abouts do you patrol because ive a few questions about something might be relevant to you

Whats the difference between a fishery officer and a water keeper and where abouts do you patrol because ive a few questions about something might be relevant to you

A fishery officer is employed by Inland Fisheries Ireland. A sea fisheries officer is employed by the Sea Fisheries Protection Authority. In this case we are talking about IFI officers who patrol inland lakes and rivers, and have certain powers under the Fishery Acts, up to and including powers of detention, confiscating equipment, stop and search.

A private waterkeeper is a private individual who has been granted a warrant by a court to act as a private waterkeeper. They have much less powers than fishery officers, and are really just there on behalf of clubs/private owners to keep an eye on things, and discourage illegal activity such as fishing without a permit. They rely on fishery officers or gardai to deal with more serious breaches of the law.

PM me with any queries you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

So, let me see if i understand this. You're saying a bailiff managed to stop someone's dole? Sorry, but that's simply not possible.

Don't listen to what "a guy" tells you when it's patently nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A fishery officer is employed by Inland Fisheries Ireland. A sea fisheries officer is employed by the Sea Fisheries Protection Authority. In this case we are talking about IFI officers who patrol inland lakes and rivers, and have certain powers under the Fishery Acts, up to and including powers of detention, confiscating equipment, stop and search.

A private waterkeeper is a private individual who has been granted a warrant by a court to act as a private waterkeeper. They have much less powers than fishery officers, and are really just there on behalf of clubs/private owners to keep an eye on things, and discourage illegal activity such as fishing without a permit. They rely on fishery officers or gardai to deal with more serious breaches of the law.

PM me with any queries you have.

Further to the above explanation, a court appointed waterkeepers powers extend ONLY to a named water.
    A Fishery Officer on the other hand can exercise his/her powers anywhere in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Bizzum wrote: »

Further to the above explanation, a court appointed waterkeepers powers extend ONLY to a named water.
    A Fishery Officer on the other hand can exercise his/her powers anywhere in the state.

Fishery officer is the correct title alright I learnt the hard way lol when I called one of them baliffs, he wasn't long correcting me and got a bit annoyed that we called him that, I suppose that's all we ever heard on the banks from other anglers growing up was baliffs, I still don't know many who call them by the correct name

Advertisement